Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wimbledon junior finalist losing to Dimitrov in 2008 and had a career high of 220 at 20 and now not even ranked, is it injuries ? If so why does he always play doubles or is it he is just better at doubles

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
I'm pretty sure Somby explained it in some challenger thread, so let's just wait for him to post here.

btw. you should include that pic in the OP

·
Registered
437 Posts
He releases the anger because you have the same avatar as I do, and the other explanation is that he wants to follow his idol's (Mergea) path. Become the Doubles GOAT. Singles is for the poor.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
yeah, continious injuries on his knee, where he had few surgeries...
he also had 2 on his right wrist. and shoulder...basically he has been so unlucky with injuties so far =S

its a real luck he is even playing doubles at this point. of course i would love him to get back to play singles, but he played last year in singles a couple of futures and he couldnt play consecutive matches, his body couldnt resist it, and the knee really makes him not train as much as he should. also, he tried to serve without jumping in one of these brief comebacks, but of course it put away probably his biggest weapon...

its really so sad but i still have some hopes for him, he hasnt oficially retired from singles, so lets see...but imo, he is not coming back in singles anymore. at least in doubles he is doing great, its been a year since he started playing only doubles and he has won many challenger titles(few 15k+H futures too) and had a decent record at the atp tour

this is just the beginning. i really want to see him improving in doubles and winning one grand slam some day. that would be my dream, he really deserves the best, and he has been so unlucky just like baker for example. too bad. but at least he can play...

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
What Somby said. Several injuries and surgeries at such a young age...

It's quite frustrating as well, as he showed real promise. Beat Dreddy Brown on grass at Den Bosch, beat multiple players ranked higher than him, was a DC hero winning multiple five-setters (IIRC beat Janowicz in DC a few times when Finland seemed to always be drawn against Poland). Has wins over RBA and Janowicz, who are established top players now.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
What Somby said. Several injuries and surgeries at such a young age...

It's quite frustrating as well, as he showed real promise. Beat Dreddy Brown on grass at Den Bosch, beat multiple players ranked higher than him, was a DC hero winning multiple five-setters (IIRC beat Janowicz in DC a few times when Finland seemed to always be drawn against Poland). Has wins over RBA and Janowicz, who are established top players now.
yeah...i remember he made it to the semifinals of tampere(clay) and then got a SE to segovia, where he beat de schepper and bautista back to back in 2 great tournaments when segovia was a 85k+H challenger. he hit like 27 aces vs de schepper...i was there live on his 3 matches and it was impressive

who would have told all would end up like this. yeah he used to be a hero in davis cup too...now he can only play doubles even there(1 match from time to time...)

BUT, at the end of the day im very happy he is playing doubles. 1 or 2 years ago it seemed unlikely he could continue playing, he was all the time coming back, getting injured, months out, etc. super unlucky he has been so far. lets hope his body hangs on and he can play doubles for many many years

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
so unfortunate, he could have been the next big thing in singles for Finnish tennis, but at least he can still use his talent to be a solid doubles player.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
if there is anyone who havent seen him playing, dont know him too much, you can take a look at the little tribute video i made :)

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
if there is anyone who havent seen him playing, dont know him too much, you can take a look at the little tribute video i made :)
R Kelly called and wants his song back. If those are the best highlights you could put together for Kontinen, it's no wonder the guy never made it. It's always easy to blame "injuries" but Kontinen never bothered to train hard to try and stay injury free. It looks like the only time he runs is when Burger King is about to shut.

I think this video is far more revealing as it explains Sombrero Loco's hatred for Dimitrov. He's never forgiven him for winning this match and stealing Kontinen's career. :spit:

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
R Kelly called and wants his song back. If those are the best highlights you could put together for Kontinen, it's no wonder the guy never made it. It's always easy to blame "injuries" but Kontinen never bothered to train hard to try and stay injury free. It looks like the only time he runs is when Burger King is about to shut.

I think this video is far more revealing as it explains Sombrero Loco's hatred for Dimitrov. He's never forgiven him for winning this match and stealing Kontinen's career. :spit:

Don't be a fucking twat, even if that's hard for you sometimes.

Grigor Dimitrov isn't god's gift to tennis and every other young player isn't shit, despite what you seem to think based on your posting.

Sorry, someone had to say it at some point.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
Don't be a fucking twat, even if that's hard for you sometimes.

Grigor Dimitrov isn't god's gift to tennis and every other young player isn't shit, despite what you seem to think based on your posting.

Sorry, someone had to say it at some point.
this +100000000000

plus, claiming dimitrov stealed henri´s career is stupid. he had a pretty decent career after his junior career but injuries killed his career. its not like he stopped playing in 2008, indeed the best started after that, imo.

wimbledon junior final is not and will never be the highlights of henri´s career...

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, continious injuries on his knee, where he had few surgeries...
he also had 2 on his right wrist. and shoulder...basically he has been so unlucky with injuties so far =S

its a real luck he is even playing doubles at this point. of course i would love him to get back to play singles, but he played last year in singles a couple of futures and he couldnt play consecutive matches, his body couldnt resist it, and the knee really makes him not train as much as he should. also, he tried to serve without jumping in one of these brief comebacks, but of course it put away probably his biggest weapon...

its really so sad but i still have some hopes for him, he hasnt oficially retired from singles, so lets see...but imo, he is not coming back in singles anymore. at least in doubles he is doing great, its been a year since he started playing only doubles and he has won many challenger titles(few 15k+H futures too) and had a decent record at the atp tour

this is just the beginning. i really want to see him improving in doubles and winning one grand slam some day. that would be my dream, he really deserves the best, and he has been so unlucky just like baker for example. too bad. but at least he can play...
I was waiting for your response :) Thanks for explaining and really sad story because I watched the match against Dimitrov in 2008 and he had some serious potential and it's good to see he is still playing tennis in the form of Doubles it's sad the way injuries ruin players careers :sad:

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
:stupid: He looked like a very, very promising youngster before all the injuries. Genuinely tasteless comment that should earn you a ban in my opinion (just as wishing injuries does).

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
I'm disappointed that you haven't learnt to ignore Hypnotize yet. I can count on one hand the number of useful comments he has made in my time reading this website, genuinely. ;)

As for Kontinen, he played a superb brand of tennis. It's such a shame that he could not play singles for longer, as I'm sure he could have proved to everybody that net skills are not dead at the top of the modern game. While he hasn't officially retired from singles, I live in hope that he can return. A lot of doubles players sometimes try their hand in qualies at the weak enough 250s, maybe someday (when he's regularly competing in the doubles draws) he might be tempted to do that and it will pay off. Wishful thinking, perhaps. :(

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
:stupid: He looked like a very, very promising youngster before all the injuries. Genuinely tasteless comment that should earn you a ban in my opinion (just as wishing injuries does).
this...i agree

plus i dont know how you can injury your wrist or your shoulder by eating burguers...claiming that is really stupid :wavey: henkka was never fat, btw. you can say that about marcus willis or donald young, but kontinen? come on :facepalm:

same goes for claiming that loss to dimitrov on a junior tournament killed his career :spit:

and no i dont hate dimitrov. the only one i see hating on this thread is you actually, and without any good reason(and the fact i support henri is not a good reason)

and i dont know why should i hate dimitrov if henri himself doesnt :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts