Mens Tennis Forums banner

Why does Federer implode whenever opponent hits spectacular shot on SPs/MPs

2K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Advantage_Set 
#1 ·
He imploded when Djokovic hit a spectacular return on MP in USopen 2011. Yesterday he also imploded after Gulbis retunrned the smash on SP.

The weird thing is that Federer in such situations usually has other MPs/SPs but can't recover.

#2 ·
He's so used to his opponents playing boring robotic tennis that he's actually startled when one makes a decent shot.

#9 ·
Federer in general has extremely salty reactions when his opponents hit spectacular shots against him which is ironic because he has done it countless times to others in his career.
This. He feels entitled to those shots and gets jealous when other players steal his limelight, resulting in a blow-up.

#4 ·
Federer in general has extremely salty reactions when his opponents hit spectacular shots against him which is ironic because he has done it countless times to others in his career.

#10 · (Edited)
In b4 Mods close the thread. Also don't forget the chardy one in Rome. the bottom line is fed is arrogant has a huge ego and whiny sore loser

#11 ·
Reading all of the answers above I'm thinking why the incredibly rude tone? What in Federer provokes people's hatred so much? Whiney, entitled etc...I'm sorry, but he didn't whine about Gulbis shot. Many, many times he has praised opponents good shots, including Djokovic (US Open 2008, AO Open 2011 etc) Safin (AO Open 2005), Nadal (Wimbledon 2008). As a fan who has followed him since 2001,Federer is definitely the one praising his opponents most accurately and in most flattering way compared to many others.

#13 ·
What is rude about pointing out that Federer has character flaws like all of us? In contrast to popular belief he is not a divine entity.

#18 ·
Looking forward to Nadal growing old? Will you enjoy people talking that way about Nadal? In Nadals case it will probably be about him being blown off the court -at least Fed mostly has himself to blame - I see Nadal having no hand in his matches outcome in two years time. What will you do then??

#25 ·
I got exactly that impression when Federer lost to Chardy in a third set tiebreak in Rome this year. When Chardy saved a match point with an spectacular shot, Federer was like fuck it, and went to lose the next points and the match.

I think part of it is that he can't believe his opponent was so lucky in such an important point. Because let's face it, a bit part in hitting such an spectacular shot is luck.

#26 ·

It's called momentum. We've seen countless times in matches Federer come up with amazing shots in big moments and it turns the tide - and it's happened to him countless times too. As for this particular match, he did win the fourth set. Him losing the third set 6-2 was a product of Gulbis playing better than him - I doubt it had anything to do with the set point save of the smash in the 2nd.

#29 ·
Why are we disregarding Gulbis' mental edge nowadays?

Rather than behaving like the billionaire playboy that he is, Gulbis knows that if he wins the next point and then the next and so on, he can win games. This Ernie crawls back in games in which he's down. Did that multiple times yesterday, to great effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.