Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
justice for all
17,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it’s safe to say The Tower of Tandil has lost c.a. 50% of his career due to different and recurring injuries. He also had several surguries but they hardly worked the way he wanted.
My question is: why does Del Potro get injured so much?
  • bad genetics?
  • injury inducing style of play?
  • inappropriate treatment?
  • mistakes made when he was a junior?
  • other?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I really don't know, but as he is my favourite player, I am so sad about his situation and frustrated about his career. When you see the fall he had against Coric in Shanghai in October 2018, it did not seem that bad...but for him it might mean the end of his ambitions at the highest level...Even the knee surgery he had in June last year does not seem to work out. According to the latest news, his knee is still painful when he trained the last couple of weeks, and there is absolutely no certainty he will even come back in February at his usual come back tournament in Delray Beach. Between 2016 and 2018, I was still confident he could win another slam at one stage but right now, I guess he won't ever come back to his best and might even stop with professional tennis very soon. In any case, the 3 first months of the year will be crucial as the Double Sunshine is one of his favourite period of the year, and if he had to miss it, he might say : ok, that's enough now.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'd say it's partly his height (tall players are practically always more injury prone with their long legs, arms, back etc., which often lead to a playing style which is more likely to cause injuries, as your movement is a bit more limited and not that smooth), but clearly that doesn't explain it all.

He's also got a back, which is not a hunchback as such, pretty far from that, but not the greatest either.

He's got problems with his hips and the whole of that area, as you can see in his walking style. That wouldn't bother a normal (non-pro) tennis player, but if you aim to be one of the very bests, even minor issues will easily become bigger ones, as your body will have to take so much strain both in practises and in matches.

As for the mistakes made when he was a junior, I really don't know (have not followed his junior years), but I suspect that could play a role here as well. Not so many coaches consider seriously enough the limitations that you should, when training younger athletes. Training too hard or in wrong ways at certain ages may prove crucial later on. So many tennis players feel this (most often in their hips) as they get older.

I have no idea whether Delpo has bad genetics and has had some inappropriaye treatment as well. I would easily understand the first one, as there's nothing you can do about your genetics, but having inappropriaye treatment to top it all would be just a bit too unlucky in my opinion.
But who knows? Only him, his team and those closest around him, I guess.

I think he's just been unfortunate to be affected by many things, too many things to be honest. And you can see the outcome now - or have actually been able to see it a long time already.

I'm afraid he's pretty much beyond help already, let alone to "have a great career" any longer, considering his age and the injuries that just keep bothering him month after month after month (or I guess I should have said year after year).

Hopefully he can still make it back for a while and gather some (minor) wins at least.

I'm not a big fan of his myself, but there is not a single one top tennis player I hope anything bad for. They've been working so hard for all their lives that they definitely do deserve some success and joy for themselves.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
which kind of junior mistakes are you refering to?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
which kind of junior mistakes are you refering to?
I was mostly referring to those hard exercises that some coaches tend to love to put youngsters through at a rather vulnerable age when their bones and some other structures are getting bigger & stronger day by day but the muscles are not that quick to follow.

Further, youngsters also need sufficient time to rest between all the running and other practice, so that the muscles get enough time to grow as well. A good diet is also a must.

If not coached correctly, some unfortunate kids can have all kinds of problems either right away, during their whole career or much later.

The above is the main problem at least if I understood it correctly from my coach when I was a very young athlete myself years ago.

Putting a youngster through a very tough daily program at that stage can cause some serious harm later on to hips and knees, for instance, or to whatever place is the weakest in a certain athlete'/player's body, it's certainly not the same thing with everyone.

Some patience would do many coaches good (and even more importantly it would be good for the players they are coaching, mind you), and I trust that today a lot of them are wiser.

But ten or twenty years back it was much more wilder and I feel that especially Spain lost some promising youngsters due to that.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
my guesses and speculations:
1.) genetic: length of limbs, connective tissue, reflexes, muscle/fat ratio etc
2.) "wrong treatment" i would guess his muscle strength was not develloped enough to support his playing style on a consistent basis, and he and his team couldn't solve this problem (get stronger, change style, scedule, change exercise programm to better adapt, etc)

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I re-watched in HD some of his matches from the WTF 2009, he would definitely have a better career than Murray/Wawrinka had he remained injury free.

My guess is some people are simply not as tolerant as other when it comes to frictions in the joints, regardless of the technique in the strokes or the way someone run. I also don't think he had as good assistance as someone like Nadal or Djokovic when it comes to dealing with minor injuries (which would obviously get worse as time goes by).

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Thanks for posting this stat. Among the GS he played during this period, we don't have to forget that he played some of it half injured, like in RG 2012 when he reached the QF (lost in 5 sets against Roger after having been 2 sets up, or in RG 2017 when he could hardly move playing against Andy in the 3R and some more where he had some physical issued but decided to play because it was a GS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts