Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many prominent 'up-and-comers' such as Harrison/Tomic/Dolgopolov seem to have picked Andy Murray of all people to model their game on. They're content with slicing around, junking, varying the pace of the ball and using 'tactics' (whatever that means) to win.

Why they chose to model their game on Andy Murray instead of the much more physical baseline-type game that has proven slam winning pedigree in Djokovic and Nadal is beyond me.

Aren't you disappointed by this?

I can't be the only one who was hoping that the new generation of players would be 'uber-Nadals' or 'uber-Djokovic's' - ie. much stronger, faster versions of Nadal/Djokovic capable of tearing around the court with the speed of an Olympic sprinter, serving consistently at 200mph, hitting with 200% more topspin off both wings than Nadal was ever capable of generating, and actually being resistant to injury like Federer??

Instead, these new players are for the most part gangly kids whose biggest asset is not extreme strength, fitness and conditioning, but tactics!? Flipping tactics.

Throughout history, it has been proven that 'tactical' type players will never win a slam. Slams can only be won by those with extreme grinding fitness (Nadal/Djokovic) or with extreme serves and power (Sampras). I thought the new generation would combine both attributes, but they have not, and none of them will win a slam!!

Just as tennis was getting much more physical, much more grinding, there seems to be a movement in playing style away from that. Why??

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
I actually prefer tacticians to players just using one sort of game plan to win all the time. I like the so called 'junk tennis' over the so called 'baseline n00b' style of tennis.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
The Dolgopolov-Tomic match was incredibly boring and painful to watch.

slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
unforced error
(repeat for five sets)

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
The Dolgopolov-Tomic match was incredibly boring and painful to watch.

slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
slice
unforced error
(repeat for five sets)
Admittedly that match was a bit overdone by both sides on the slices and the quality in Dolgopolov wasn't there that he usually brings.

·
Banned
94 Posts
Tacticians slay (minus Tomic).....have you ever watched Hingis? ;)

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Many prominent 'up-and-comers' such as Harrison/Tomic/Dolgopolov seem to have picked Andy Murray of all people to model their game on. They're content with slicing around, junking, varying the pace of the ball and using 'tactics' (whatever that means) to win.

Why they chose to model their game on Andy Murray instead of the much more physical baseline-type game that has proven slam winning pedigree in Djokovic and Nadal is beyond me.

Aren't you disappointed by this?

I can't be the only one who was hoping that the new generation of players would be 'uber-Nadals' or 'uber-Djokovic's' - ie. much stronger, faster versions of Nadal/Djokovic capable of tearing around the court with the speed of an Olympic sprinter, serving consistently at 200mph, hitting with 200% more topspin off both wings than Nadal was ever capable of generating, and actually being resistant to injury like Federer??

Instead, these new players are for the most part gangly kids whose biggest asset is not extreme strength, fitness and conditioning, but tactics!? Flipping tactics.

Throughout history, it has been proven that 'tactical' type players will never win a slam. Slams can only be won by those with extreme grinding fitness (Nadal/Djokovic) or with extreme serves and power (Sampras). I thought the new generation would combine both attributes, but they have not, and none of them will win a slam!!

Just as tennis was getting much more physical, much more grinding, there seems to be a movement in playing style away from that. Why??
Ever heard of 6-time slam winner Wilander?

But yeah I agree I expected to see more physical freaks. Raonic could still become something. His game is much closer to big servers with power that you indeed say got slam winning potential.

And besides how do you model your game to Nadal anyway? Get an uncle that force you to play left-handed? Develop some odd technical style and then either juice up as a kid or work out like a madman to be ready as a 16-17 year old? Get lucky that the other big rival can't handle spin to his 1h backhand?

How do you model yourself after Djokovic? Be promising but not a big winner for many years then mimic Nadal defense and physical fitness and have one monster season and then be hailed as the new superstar?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Haha, is really funny that are on MTF many more brainless one-dimensional posters than you have that kind of players in today tennis. It's not easy to make that. How human being can adore to one-dimensional brainless fabrique tennis player? I think it goes with today world. Superficially world. And that kind of play is just superficially. 1000 informations in one day. "Bomber killed 20 persons", news is actual for 4 minutes, because there is new one.

Tomic is finally someone who plays with brain and will become top player.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
They're smart and realise Andy Murray's junk is the future of Tennis

·
Banned
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, is really funny that are on MTF many more brainless one-dimensional posters than you have that kind of players in today tennis. It's not easy to make that. How human being can adore to one-dimensional brainless fabrique tennis player? I think it goes with today world. Superficially world. And that kind of play is just superficially. 1000 informations in one day. "Bomber killed 20 persons", news is actual for 4 minutes, because there is new one.

Tomic is finally someone who plays with brain and will become top player.
So what if I'm superficial along with the rest of the world? Superficial is best.

Just because you think you're 'deep' doesn't make you better.

Don't get smarter, get stronger. Fitter. Faster.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's not that the best young players just randomly chose to play this style of tennis for no reason; it's that those players who play like this are now the best young players. The way they play is part of the reason for their success.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
They have great taste in admiring Muzzah!
But Dolgo is not a tactician, he's as brainless as they come. Tomic has one primary asset- slicing well. He has a huge glaring weakness- being one of the slowest players in the top 100. What does Dolgo do? He initiates slice wars, and slices back to Tomic allowing him to stand still. Why?? Dolgo has great movement and drops shots as well as he slices, so why not move Tomic around? Dolgo is just Monfils with more slice.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
So what if I'm superficial along with the rest of the world? Superficial is best.

Just because you think you're 'deep' doesn't make you better.

Don't get smarter, get stronger. Fitter. Faster.
Acually I don't think about you. I didn't even read your post, but I did of someone else.

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
The up and coming players are either Djokovic clones (strong off both wings, patient, able to grind it out for hours), pushers or ballbashers.

That's because from all the top guys, Nole's is the most "generic" game so to speak, the easiest one to duplicate (not saying he's a mug, just that his game is a good template for others), Federer and Nadal's game are so unique it would only really work for them.

Pushers are the ones without much talent and that have to rely on frustrating the rival to get things done.

And the ones who aren't patient or solid enough become ballbashers, the best example are headcases like Gulbis or Dolgopolov.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's not that the best young players just randomly chose to play this style of tennis for no reason; it's that those players who play like this are now the best young players. The way they play is part of the reason for their success.
This is a very good point that the original poster seems to be missing. But I can't really tell if he's being serious.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
So Raonic being a Sampras clone is different then all these other guys? He's actually cloning someone from a generation ago.

I wish someone would be an Edberg clone :)

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Because they're evolving. It's not a pretty evolution but it will allow them to better cope with the outrageously and disgusting slow hard courts of the current era.

Raonic also plays a less physical game. Guess if they don't change the surface, playing styles will change and for the worse.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Because they're evolving. It's not a pretty evolution but it will allow them to better cope with the outrageously and disgusting slow hard courts of the current era.

Raonic also plays a less physical game. Guess if they don't change the surface, playing styles will change and for the worse.
Obviously, the best way to cope with the slow hardcourts of the modern game is to play a grinding physical style. How do you do it better than Nadal and Djokovic? By becoming faster, stronger and fitter than them. Evolution should be churning out more and more uber-Nadal's and uber-Djokovic's.

One does not achieve success by doing a Murray. What Grand Slam success has Murray's junk balling/pushing style brought him? None. So why don't Tomic/Harrison/Dolgopolov try to play more like Nadal and Djokovic, rather? Don't give me crap about "it's not their innate style" - it was not Nadal's innate style to play left handed, but he did what it took to change his losing innate style to an artificial, winning one. Nothing wrong with identikit tennis players, they just need to work on their fitness harder than any generation before them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts