Mens Tennis Forums banner

Why do the mods take so much crap on here?

2K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  Logical 
#1 ·
It seems people are basically allowed to freely slag off the mods in open discussion and more or less get away with it.

If someones got an issue or grievance to take up, sure do it in the PM or a dedicated section. But I think anyone who deliberately slags off a Mod should get one stern warning, and then a ban.

Now im far from perfect, ive received more than a couple of bans in my MTF career, mostly for forum disruption. But i've never ever had a go at a Moderator. They should be off limits. We all guests here, and the Moderators have a job to do.

#2 ·
Nonsense, we should be able to share our thoughts on the moderation openly.

#3 ·
I take a diametrically opposite view. The mods should be like a special ops unit, i.e. only taking direct action whenever things are in danger of getting radically out of hand. The rest of the time they should stay back and let events unfold without interfering. Whenever they partake in discussions, they should be treated no differently than other posters.

But i've never ever had a go at a Moderator. They should be off limits.
Frightening thought. Afaik these are ordinary people who have volunteered for their positions, not Morally Superior Beings who had them bestowed by Divine providence and whom we should hold to a higher standard. They aren't, and shouldn't be, exempt from criticism. Furthermore, online moderators should never be given the license to act as Internet Police (although some are doing it, nonetheless).

#4 ·
I take a diametrically opposite view. The mods should be like a special ops unit, i.e. only taking direct action whenever things are in danger of getting radically out of hand. The rest of the time they should stay back and let events unfold without interfering. Whenever they partake in discussions, they should be treated no differently than other posters.

Frightening thought. Afaik these are ordinary people who have volunteered for their positions, not Morally Superior Beings who had them bestowed by Divine providence and whom we should hold to a higher standard. They aren't, and shouldn't be, exempt from criticism. Furthermore, online moderators should never be given the license to act as Internet Police (although some are doing it, nonetheless).

Amen.

#5 ·
Hear hear. It has gotten out of hand now. Too many threads are descending into mod bashathons nowadays. Sure there might be a couple of questionable decisions but discuss it in private or at least post it in the appropriate forum. If you do not like the way the mods go about their business then go post on another forum.

#10 ·
Usually that isn't going to work. Just look at the ACC from the beginning, people were whining about the seeds, about the voting, about the time, about the rules, about freakin' everything. It would've been the same with any other problem, why was someone banned and why someone else wasn't etc.

Overall, mods are pretty laid back - the amount of crap someone has to post in order to get permabanned is stupendous - therefore I pretty much agree with the OP.

#11 · (Edited)
They suffer from the worst excesses of political correctness at times. Whoever decided that the word r**e can not appear here is, in my opinion, not suited to be a moderator. I doubt if any forum member has claimed that the word is offensive when used in a discussion. Some misguided mod seems to think that the word is offensive, not just the act.
Yet the mods are quite happy to see posts peppered with all kinds of gender-offensive four letter words, while now wanting to reduce any kind of serious discussion of sexual violence to a string of asterisks.

For example, I can use the word murder quite freely here, but I can not threaten to do it. This is as it should be. **** falls a long way short of murder, but the word is not allowed. Crazy!

It's f*****g ri******us and suggests to me there is too much muddled thinking on the part of moderators, which they unfortunately confuse with doing good deeds. I doubt if there is any newspaper, magazine or internet forum where the word r**e is considered unsuitable for printing. By rightly being offended by the act of **** they then prevent any discussion of its offensiveness. They have the same thought processes as those families who would cover up the **** of a daughter to protect the family good name. As if by ignoring it the world will be a better place.

#12 ·
They suffer from the worst excesses of political correctness at times. Whoever decided that the word r**e can not appear here is, in my opinion, not suited to be a moderator. I doubt if anyone here has claimed that the word is offensive when used in a discussion. Some misguided mod seems to think that the word is offensive rather than the act.
Yet the mods are quite happy to see posts peppered with all kinds of gender-offensive four letter words, while now wanting to reduce any kind of serious discussion of sexual violence to a string of asterisks.

For example, I can use the word murder quite freely here, but I can not threaten to do it. This is as it should be. **** falls a long way short of murder, but the word is not allowed. Crazy!

It's f*****g ri******us and suggest to me there is too much muddled thinking on the part of moderators, which they unfortunately confuse with doing good deeds. I doubt if there is any newspaper, magazine or internet forum where the word r**e is considered unsuitable for printing. By rightly being offended by the act of **** they then prevent any discussion of its offensiveness. They have the same thought processes as those families who would cover up the **** of a daughter to protect the family good name.
yeah I've pointed out this one before, I think they did it because of how the word was excessively used in GM ("insert a player's name" got r*ped, what a r*ping etc), still a mistake though, the problem isn't with the word but with how it's used at times, instead of censoring the word these posts should be deleted and that's it

by that logic, might as well censor the word "dope"

#13 ·
"Forcibly fucking'' is quite all right though.

(I would normally not use such a phrase, but here it illustrates that by banning a simple word, they are just encouraging the use of even more offensive alternatives).

Maybe the solution would be for the mods to police those out-of-control GM's and leave NT to the adults.

#17 ·
Some of the mods like Action Jackson deserve every word

This post has been deleted
#33 ·
I personally believe that the mods do take too much crap on here, I have to agree on the OP in regards to this topic. Crap as in, most people don't constructively criticise them, but, rather write a fully blown attack on the mods which is a hugely disrespectful since they try to best to moderate this site to the best degree possible.

#34 ·
1. Because it is basic human nature to blame someone else
2. Because some people just like to bitch.

And before I get slagged , I am not a mod with much moderating abilities but I think overall they do the best they can and they do what they think is best for the forum.

Reactions: Castafiore
#36 ·
Arguments against the mods are fine. We are allowed to disgree and argue with them. It's the insults (calling them shit mods, calling them names etc.) that shouldn't be allowed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.