1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
e.g.
The 2 x Former World No. 1 Of Andys i.e. Murray & the retired Roddick
Dimitrov
Cilic
Gasquet
Nadal
Federer also starting to showing a bit of bald spot as well but still good compared to the others given he is 37

Nishikori on the other hand still has alot of hair which I am not surprised given Japanese are prone to having lots of hair even at later stage.
Novak's hair has the most healthiest out of the big 4.....you can see that his face, hair is blooming atm, lol

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Maybe some backhanded implication here? It is well known that roids can lead to hair loss. But, it is probably genetics. See Nadal's father,he has same hair. I dont know for others. Also,i didnt notice that Cilic is losing hair

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Nothing unusual for men in their late 20ies/ early or mid 30ies to start losing hair. My cousin started losing hair in his late teens even without taking any drugs! Just natural predisposition in his case, same happened to his father (my maternal uncle) and our grandfather.

That said taking drugs won't help, a naturally high level of testosterone (which is likely in athletes) doesn't either.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
Most men start losing their hair in their early 30's and tennis players are no special

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
On top of genetics and who knows what kind of chemicals they consume, they also spend many hours every day in the sun. Which doesn't directly contribute to hair loss, but dries and damages the hair and makes it look thinner.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
One word and its not a lie....

Caps!!

Some of the above dont wear now but almost certainly did when younger... both andys always did.... gasquet did for a long time too

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Many reasons are possible. Genetics, stress, various medication, improper diet, hair cosmetic products (often the most expensive ones).
During 90' in Serbia many young people were taking steroids hoping to bulk up, some of my friends too. Most went bald but some of them didn't.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
There is nothing disproportionate between tennis players and the general population. Weird thread.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Let's not forget the most famous of all for baldness, and the one most worshipped for his hair before it happened: Agassi

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
One word and its not a lie....

Caps!!

Some of the above dont wear now but almost certainly did when younger... both andys always did.... gasquet did for a long time too
Yeah, i suspected this as well. Berdych did good by ditching his cap when joining H&M

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Maybe some backhanded implication here? It is well known that roids can lead to hair loss. But, it is probably genetics. See Nadal's father,he has same hair. I dont know for others. Also,i didnt notice that Cilic is losing hair
I remember reading somewhere that the genes making male prone to the generic male pattern hair loss are actually passed down from the mother's side.

edit. Well, googled it again, and apparently that's not the entire truth.

There are a lot of myths and misinformation about the genetic causes of male pattern baldness (MPB). One of the most enduring is that a man inherits the genetic propensity for MPB from his mother. While there is some truth to this, it is not the whole story.

The primary baldness gene is on the X, or female chromosome, which men do inherit from their mothers. A study from the University of Bonn in Germany from 2005 confirmed this, and added fuel to the mother myth. And it is true: the hereditary factor is more dominant on the mother’s side. If your dad has a full head of hair but your mom’s brother is a 5 on the Norwood Scale at age 35, chances are you will follow your uncle’s journey through MPB.

However, the gene for MPB is actually passed down from both sides of the family. Furthermore baldness genes may skip generations, and skip people within the same generation. This is why it is perfectly possible to have an older brother with enviable full, thick hair, while you are stuck with a Norwood 3 at age 27.

The result means that there are millions of families where the older brother gets the George Clooney hair while the younger is stuck with the Vin Diesel look, or visa versa. Furthermore, if you take four bothers it is absolutely possible to have a Norwood 3, 5 and 7 and a fourth brother with no MPB at all within that same family.

If most of the men on your mother’s AND your father’s side are bald, then you, your sons and brothers all have an increased propensity to experience MPB.

Life just isn’t fair sometimes. [...]
https://www.hairsciencescenter.com/baldness-gene-come-mother-father/

Life ≠ fair. :|

1 - 20 of 55 Posts