Mens Tennis Forums banner
141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Federer has won 17 grand slams. The Swiss and his fans have suffered minimal heartache compared to the rest. Of course defeats still hurt, but only because it was not what his fans originally signed up for. They joined club Fed when slams were being won with repeated ease.

Asia is a growing and lucrative market. What is the most popular football/soccer team in China and Japan? Manchester United. Who is the most popular tennis player? Roger Federer. Both the best in their respective field - certainly in terms of numbers. To assume the Swiss is loved because of his 'glorious' personality or for his unique brand of tennis as I have read in this thread, is simply wishful thinking. People just want to be associated with success.

This is why it is difficult to respect those sitting in the 'RF' merchandise. The hats and the shirts subconsciously or otherwise, represent superiority. The guy in the 'RF' hat is sitting in the crowd showing the world he is part of a glorious success. He believes he has played a role in driving this sporting phenomenon to glory. As we have established, this is delusional rubbish.

Those with independent thinking can see through the nonsense. Of course there are many genuine Fed fans, but many are plastic glory-hunting frauds.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Glory-hunting frauds? Really?

If someone became a fan of tennis since 2008 they would support Rafa or Djokovic if they were glory-hunters.

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts
Is it just a coincidence that the most successful tennis player in terms of numbers, is the most popular ever?
No, of course not. Titles bring popularity and fans. But it's down to may other factors as well. If player x won the same as player y they wouldn't necessarily have the same number of fans. It also depends on personality, how he behaves/conducts himself, his relationship with his fans...

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
Is it just a coincidence that the most successful tennis player in terms of numbers, is the most popular ever?
Because you seem to find it hard to conceive of the fact that there were millions of tennis fans worldwide before you happened along... that there were significant numbers who started to follow Fed around his Wimbledon Juniors period (myself included), and who lived (and tore our hair out) through the following years wondering whether he would ever really harness that talent people saw in him. You also seem to think there is something wrong with people who started to follow tennis circa 2003 and onwards, gravitating to the most known player, whose game had already won over many who had followed the older giants.

Is it really so hard for you to comprehend that significant numbers of his fans follow him for the quality of his game? That that quality led to numbers of wins is fine, but even when he will no longer be winning large numbers of titles, people will STILL be drawn to his game.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Because you seem to find it hard to conceive of the fact that there were millions of tennis fans worldwide before you happened along... that there were significant numbers who started to follow Fed around his Wimbledon Juniors period (myself included), and who lived (and tore our hair out) through the following years wondering whether he would ever really harness that talent people saw in him. You also seem to think there is something wrong with people who started to follow tennis circa 2003 and onwards, gravitating to the most known player, whose game had already won over many who had followed the older giants.

Is it really so hard for you to comprehend that significant numbers of his fans follow him for the quality of his game? That that quality led to numbers of wins is fine, but even when he will no longer be winning large numbers of titles, people will STILL be drawn to his game.
A fair bit of fabrication in that post. I have no doubt that you followed Fed from the beginning, so for that you have my respect. To say that a sizeable numbers of Federer fans have been around since the beginning is not really true. The majority jumped on board once success had been attained. Do you dispute this undoubted fact?

People will support Fed through his decline, because they are now attached to him. No matter what he does from now till the end is not that important. He has won more slams than any other player. He is the most decorated player in the modern era. This will not change in the foreseeable future. Glory hunters can wear their badge and hat with that in mind. The Swiss = success. Superiority remains.

Success is the number one reason for having a huge fan base. This is evident in all sports.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
I was drawn to his game, but I became his fan because of who he was on and off the court.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
I do not dispute that. Be honest, as a genuine Fed fan (rare), do sections of his fan base annoy you?
Some. Here though it's like a back and forth thing with all fanbases. Everyone pokes fun of others' favourite players.

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
A fair bit of fabrication in that post. I have no doubt that you followed Fed from the beginning, so for that you have my respect. To say that a sizeable numbers of Federer fans have been around since the beginning is not really true. The majority jumped on board once success had been attained. Do you dispute this undoubted fact?

People will support Fed through his decline, because they are now attached to him. No matter what he does from now till the end is not that important. He has won more slams than any other player. He is the most decorated player in the modern era. This will not change in the foreseeable future. Glory hunters can wear their badge and hat with that in mind. The Swiss = success. Superiority remains.

Success is the number one reason for having a huge fan base. This is evident in all sports.
Fabrication? I have to be quite frank with you, you remind me so much of the story of the 40-year old man who observed: "At 20 (or in your case, 28), I knew all the answers; at 40 I'm just trying to figure out the questions.

As for jumping on board when success had been attained, have you ever figured out just what percentage of fans of any kind of sportsmen, can be fans of the unknown, the unable, the unwilling and the not too seriously talented, and the constantly losing?? Get real. This hifalutin' "ideal" (to use a kind word) of yours exists in your head alone

Edit: And for the life of me, I can't figure out what gives you the right to piss from on high on Fed's fans, or indeed on anyone else's fans.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Of course this thread that started with a honest question turns into a tard-fest with monkeys throwing feces at each other. :smash:

MTF NID. :worship:

·
Registered
13,912 Posts
Of course this thread that started with a honest question turns into a tard-fest with monkeys throwing feces at each other. :smash:

MTF NID. :worship:
You meant to say "I was clueless when starting this thread and tried to seem smart but I ended up being made a fool of by half of MTF". No need to thank me for the translation.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
What did you expect was going to happen? You ask a question like that and you are going to get a bunch of "because he's a narcissistic egotist" answers from his haters on here.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Fabrication? I have to be quite frank with you, you remind me so much of the story of the 40-year old man who observed: "At 20 (or in your case, 28), I knew all the answers; at 40 I'm just trying to figure out the questions.

As for jumping on board when success had been attained, have you ever figured out just what percentage of fans of any kind of sportsmen, can be fans of the unknown, the unable, the unwilling and the not too seriously talented, and the constantly losing?? Get real. This hifalutin' "ideal" (to use a kind word) of yours exists in your head alone

Edit: And for the life of me, I can't figure out what gives you the right to piss from on high on Fed's fans, or indeed on anyone else's fans.
'What gives me the right', ahhhhh typical Federer fan flexing his misplaced superiority. I actually like the Rog, just the sizeable majority who jumped on-board when the train had already left the station annoy me. You are right, it is difficult to support a guy who loses all the time, but some people manage it. Are these true sports fans not able to question those blinded by the pursuit of glory by association?

The 'RF' fans are the most hysterical in sport, they do not just support their man like us ordinary folk, they absolutely worship and idolise him. A sizeable chunk of the population need a figurehead to adore and worship. Federer ticks the box for a certain type of 'needy' individual. Not his fault, but this 'RF' club mentality does not help.

I disapprove.

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
'What gives me the right', ahhhhh typical Federer fan flexing his misplaced superiority. I actually like the Rog, just the sizeable majority who jumped on-board when the train had already left the station annoy me. You are right, it is difficult to support a guy who loses all the time, but some people manage it. Are these true sports fans not able to question those blinded by the pursuit of glory by association?

The 'RF' fans are the most hysterical in sport, they do not just support their man like us ordinary folk, they absolutely worship and idolise him. A sizeable chunk of the population need a figurehead to adore and worship. Federer ticks the box for a certain type of 'needy' individual. Not his fault, but this 'RF' club mentality does not help.

I disapprove.
As if anybody cares whether you approve or disapprove - oh wait, you pay for our tickets when we go to see him play, or if we can't be there in person, you pay for the cable plans that allow us to get the channels broadcasting his games... sorry, bud, I didn't realise we were supporting Fed on your dime

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts

I disapprove.
You make it seem such extreme dedication and worship is only with Federer. Most of the biggest die-hard fans I know are for team sports like basketball, baseball and American football. If you're annoyed with such dedication, perhaps you should blame our internal workings on what makes us human; as in humans can't help it if they are so dedicated towards a player or team. Just because you don't follow the same way doesn't mean it is wrong.

Good video that talks about this very same concept

141 - 160 of 177 Posts