Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this foolish discussion of Serena playing Roger in a match got me thinking: why is it that men hit so much harder than women, when the pros (men and women) are taught not only sometimes co-ed, but taught the same?

You can't say it's in strength alone, because I'm putting money down that Serena Williams would win an arm-wrestle against Andy Roddick, but when it coems to just a simple forehand, how is it that (using the same players) Andy can hit a forehand so much harder than Serena? Or is it only the spin?

You'd think that some genius coach would have trained an up-and-coming womens pro player to pretty much play like a guy. Isn't it possible for a female to play like a men's player? If they're a super athlete, you can't say they don't have the ability.

This is just an open discussion, I want some thoughts. I'm curious.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
There is more to hitting forehands than simply arm strength. You have to consider the whole body :p

Um, and I would be willing to debate this arm wrestling theory.

·
Registered
62,758 Posts
Dan :wavey: :kiss:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
They all take steroids.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Serena has bigger arm and calf muscles than 99.9% of the mens tour. Her and Nadal are like neck and neck :haha: I don't see why she couldn't, but it's probably because of their height and rotation because Ancic and Karlovic are like super skinny, but they can generate soo much power.

B

·
0 Posts
is there a reason for the higher than usual number of stuipid threads in GM recently?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Is this thread for real?????

Men are just stronger in all departments on a whole (in general anyway)

That question is so stupid, why don't women compete with men in all sporting events because men are different species.

I mean Serena against Roddick in an arm wrestle, i would put the house on Roddick winning that.

If people think Serena against any man in the top 100 would be close is kidding themselves!!!

It's like Johnny Mcenroe said a few years ago when Venus first came on to the scene he guarenteed he would beat her everytime.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It's like Johnny Mcenroe said a few years ago when Venus first came on to the scene he guarenteed he would beat her everytime.
:bs:
Serena could beat a lot of the guys from top 100,not beat them up but win a tennis match.
I mean Serena against Roddick in an arm wrestle, i would put the house on Roddick winning that.
On that I agree,Roddick is physically stronger than Serena.

Why do men hit harder than women? Simpley put ,because they are stronger,but in tennis strenght isn`t that important.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have had this discussion before, fuuny enough with a guy who compiles odd's i asked him when Henin Hardenne won FO what the odd's would be if she met someone like Acasuso on clay

he said Acasuso would be 1.04 to win, so i think that says alot don't you!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Men have more strength and also more stamina because they simply have more muscle and all that testosterone. I also think they have higher bone density which contributes to overall strength.

I think it's highly unlikely Serena would win an arm wrestle with Andy.....maybe she could take one of the Rochus boys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts