Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems a considerable number of people seem to think having a huge serve is somehow "anti-tennis". Why is that? A serve is as integral a part of the great game as a forehand, backhand or any other shot is. To simply brush it off and say so and so just "servebotted" is extremely snobbish and smacks of a reluctance to acknowledge a (very important) facet of the game. Sure, a near 7 foot bloke like Karlovic(or Isner) looks awkward running around, so what? On Karlovic in particular, this was a guy who was diagonised with serious illness (to a point where he apparently couldn't even remember his name!). To come back from that and beat the world number 1 at 36 years of age is bloody impressive. Let's give credit where it's due.

Also, in yesterday's match, it wasn't JUST the serve. I rewatched highlights of the match and as ridiculous as it sounds he didn't do bad in the baseline exchanges(vs Novak no less) and Djokovic's inability to hit passing shots around him successfully is not Karlovic's problem.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
The 3 main reasons are:
1. Main reason his serve is so good is his height and not his technique, which is actually pretty average. You are as tall as you are, there is no way to increase your size. It's the opposite with the technique. So basically his serve is so good because he is fortunate to be so tall, not because he worked so much better/longer on it than other players. I know beeing tall also has major downsides, but that leads me to the next point.
2. The serve is the 1. Shot in every rally so having a strong serve makes every other shot in the game less effective. His lack of movement is pretty negligible on his own serve.
3. It's boring to watch for most, because it doesn't even matter who he is playing against, rallies are pretty much non existent.

But I agree that Karlovic played very well yesterday and not only on his serve.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It seems a considerable number of people seem to think having a huge serve is somehow "anti-tennis". Why is that? A serve is as integral a part of the great game as a forehand, backhand or any other shot is. To simply brush it off and say so and so just "servebotted" is extremely snobbish and smacks of a reluctance to acknowledge a (very important) facet of the game. Sure, a near 7 foot bloke like Karlovic(or Isner) looks awkward running around, so what? On Karlovic in particular, this was a guy who was diagonised with serious illness (to a point where he apparently couldn't even remember his name!). To come back from that and beat the world number 1 at 36 years of age is bloody impressive. Let's give credit where it's due.

Also, in yesterday's match, it wasn't JUST the serve. I rewatched highlights of the match and as ridiculous as it sounds he didn't do bad in the baseline exchanges(vs Novak no less) and Djokovic's inability to hit passing shots around him successfully is not Karlovic's problem.
Well put.

I will just say that some ppl hate baseliners, some ppl hate rallies, some ppl hate servebotters and some (like me ) hate S&V

So best advise is to let them hate .. What is really boring to watch is a match between two bots where we know that neither will even expect a return and will lose the point as soon as a return comes in.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I find it boring after a while.

Every player tends to employ his strenghts and tall players with big serves are no exception. I believe these players shouldn't be disrespected because they still have to hit those aces night after night, tournament after tournament. Also, if you watch Karlović, Isner, Raonic it's pretty obvious that they are so much more than just serve.

Ironically though, people complain about slow surfaces and dis servebots at the same time.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The way Karlovic constructs his points without use of the spin backhand is pure art, its really interesting to watch how he can out rally some of the best baseliners in the game, don't know why its so hard for some to appreciate it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
On the WTA Serena gets criticized for having the best serve and some accuse her of being a servebot as well and she's only 5' 9". I think its more technique than height and can be learned just like all the other aspects of tennis. Some players are just more naturally gifted or just simply learned a great technique early on in their tennis career. But look at all of the players who have won grand slams and big titles over the past few years, most of them are not servebots. A big serve is a great weapon just like a great forehand or backhand. Haters are gonna hate.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Of course serve is a huge asset and a great thing to have. No one knocks people for having a great serve, it's just not great to watch someone smack ace after ace after ace. Big servers can be great to watch though, look at Pistol Pete. But when it's serve and nothing else it's impressive but boring.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The 3 main reasons are:
1. Main reason his serve is so good is his height and not his technique, which is actually pretty average. You are as tall as you are, there is no way to increase your size. It's the opposite with the technique. So basically his serve is so good because he is fortunate to be so tall, not because he worked so much better/longer on it than other players. I know beeing tall also has major downsides, but that leads me to the next point.
There are millions of very tall young people in the world who earn less than a thousand dollars a year, month or a week.

All they (or at least 100 of them) need to do then to become millioners, is to start playing tennis.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Most people hate big serves who only rely on their serve to win games.
I do not think majority of the people dislike players who had big serve and big game like Sampras, Becker or Rodick

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
Of course serve is a huge asset and a great thing to have. No one knocks people for having a great serve, it's just not great to watch someone smack ace after ace after ace. Big servers can be great to watch though, look at Pistol Pete. But when it's serve and nothing else it's impressive but boring.

For once I have to agree with you. ;)

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
The 3 main reasons are:
2. The serve is the 1. Shot in every rally so having a strong serve makes every other shot in the game less effective. His lack of movement is pretty negligible on his own serve.
3. It's boring to watch for most, because it doesn't even matter who he is playing against, rallies are pretty much non existent.

You need to read up a bit on Karlovic and find out how many countless hours/days/weeks/months/years (and usually alone) he spent practicing his serve. You might be less inclined to dismiss his efforts from your lofty perch

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The 3 main reasons are:

Ivo actually has great form on his serve. Excellent relaxed motion with incredible wrist snap, and nice toss so can handle windy days like yesterday. Sure he can get angles an average 6'3" guy can't but he would be an exceptional server even if he were 8 or 9 inches shorter. He'd probably be about same level as Goran then.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
For me there is some piece of art in that kind of play. You can be even 5 meter high but if you have wooden technique, you still will be only a high wooden stick. Of course guys like Ivo or Isner have advantage because of their height, but it's not just hitting as hard as they can. Actually they don't need to hit so hard - laws of physics are on their side. Besides, they are effective not because of power, but because of precision and recurrence. And for precision you need good technique. And for that you need thousands hours of trainings.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Agreeing with the other posters. No disrespect towards the servebots, i actually posted before that isners strength to play his best (ie best serves) in important moments is quite remarkable. Its just that their game is utterly boring to watch. ace, wait, service winner wait, ace, wait, ace - weak return - winner. the actual time of play with servebots is frustrating and were all here to watch the guys play it out so thats why they are so hated

·
Registered
903 Posts
Servebots are boring in the same way that a 7ft 5in NBA player would be an incredibly boring player to watch. Robotic movement and no finesse. Who would you rather watch? Michael Jordan or Shawn Bradley?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts