Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
That is the American culture. Good is not good enough, great is not great enough, you have to be #1, the king, the emperor, the leader, the ruler
And you have to be #1 of all time isn't it? lol They could simply say Tom Brady is the best or Lebron is the best. Nope gotta be all time lol

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Easier going back to the early Connors / Borg era from 1974, because it's in a consistent continuity.

But even for the first 6 Open era seasons (1968-1973), it's already something different.
Here, I wanted to say, for my part, what I can speak about since 1978, , it is since this period, and even since this period the evolution, and sometimes even "revolutions" were numerous, and it is also in the limit where my memory does not fail me.

It is obvious that I unreservedly disqualify anyone who is going to tell me peremptorily "So-and-so is the GOAT and I prove it" by overvaluing his favorite (which often is at big3) or will use a derogatory nickname to devalue a player (rhetoric use for children in the playground)

I also want to conclude that the search for a supposed "GOAT" is a process of fans and journalists, not based on any scientific criteria, if it is necessary, and that even by accumulating a quantity of numbers and additions which are rarely mastered by those who advance them.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
It's recency bias which prevails across all our culture - not just sports. Everything has to be the best and the biggest, the most interesting and the most important. I take great delight in disproving this modern mind sickness. Big three for example are really good, but not the best there has been in this sport. You'd have to be blinkered to suggest otherwise.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If Fed, Djokovic and Nadal were around 7-9 slams each no one here would be talking about "goat" stuff. We are talking and arguing about goat stuff because 3 players pushed slam number 6 slams past previous record! 6!!! While competing against each other and the youngsters and Murray...

I just don't understand why Rod Laver is brought so much. When GOAT discussion was happening during Sampras era, no one, I mean no one mentioned Laver... I think Laver is brought up only because of the unique record that really shouldn't matter. Basically Novak had more slam wins this year than Laver had when he completed grand slam.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rosewall did win 23 slams as well as an astounding 6+ slams each on 3 different surfaces

Rosewall certainly has a claim to be the GOAT, shame he never won Wimbledon and his time at #1 was far less than Laver. Rosewall was the Nadal of his era. He had to come up and play peak Gonzales and then peak Laver like Nadal had to play peak Fed and peak Djokovic, which is why both Nadal and Rosewall have low weeks at #1 compared to the other 4, Gonzales, Federer, Laver, and Djokovic, who all have 300+ weeks while Nadal and Rosewall barely over 200
Thanks.
Yes, there is definitively something Nadalesque about his carreer.
So it seems to me that the biggest hole in his resume is wimbledon? However, he managed to win several slams on grass, and he couldn't compete at wimbledon for the best years of his career (he could only until 22yo and from 34yo onwards) due to him being a pro. It's a hole but has a reason, on the contrary Rafa's biggest hole (0 WTF) is more problematic since he could always partecipate.

I can also understand the weeks thing; however, if Nadal manages to end up with 4 more slams than Novak, nobody will say the serb is better because he has 150+ weeks at #1, me included.

I thinks he's a bit underrated and I would love to see him showing up and claim himself in the discussion, lol.

·
Your visions will happen
53,727 Posts
Thanks.
Yes, there is definitively something Nadalesque about his carreer.
So it seems to me that the biggest hole in his resume is wimbledon? However, he managed to win several slams on grass, and he couldn't compete at wimbledon for the best years of his career (he could only until 22yo and from 34yo onwards) due to him being a pro. It's a hole but has a reason, on the contrary Rafa's biggest hole (0 WTF) is more problematic since he could always partecipate.

I can also understand the weeks thing; however, if Nadal manages to end up with 4 more slams than Novak, nobody will say the serb is better because he has 150+ weeks at #1, me included.

I thinks he's a bit underrated and I would love to see him showing up and claim himself in the discussion, lol.
Rosewall? Yes maybe I should do a video on why Rosewall has a claim for GOAT

21 - 26 of 26 Posts