Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Serbian, living in the USA. Father of the 13 year old tennis player. There is enormous negativity in the media, forums etc towards Djokovic. Mostly in western media but also in Serbain forums as well. Every Serbian was at least once wonder why is this. Me as well. I was always wondering why to most of us Serbians he so great and why the rest dont see it this way. After many years I am pretty sure its just basically misunderstanding. But also I dont think anything will change. Again because of misunderstanding.
I will at least try to explain my view hoping it will make sense. I know some people that know him personally and I was following both western and Serbian media on this subject.
Djokovic started playing tennis in very tough times as well as many other players around the world. After many tennis experts confirmed his talent, his parents decided to support him. In these economically terrible times in Serbia his parents quickly ran out of money. His father have tried to get someone to sponsor him, but everyone denied him including goverment . Nobody saw potential in him based on Slobodan Zivojinovic opinion, that Novak has heart problems. Only person left to belive in Novak was his father. And he started to borrow money from loan sharks and they were moving out of from one apartment to the other, sometimes couple times a month. When Novak was 16 I think, he had interview where he said there is opportunity to play for other country who will provide sponsorship for him and he is thinking to do it. You can tell in that interview that he was desperate for help but nobody in Serbia cared. I think this might be most important decision in his life as well as player. His father later said in one interview that United Kingdom offered sponsorship to play for them. He had sat down with Novak and the rest of the family and ask them what they wanna do, since that would involve moving to UK. They all decided to take harder path and stay in Serbia. They had every reason to move in the UK and make their life easier especially since Serbia as a country didnt do anything for him. But they decided to stay. This is the times when Serbia was bombed by Nato. Serbians were demonized through media all over the world. We were believing that we are fighting the war for right cause. After Serbia lost battle against the world people in Serbia started entering into the worst times ever. We started losing our identity and our compas. There was no light at the end of the tunel. Now there is this myth in Serbia that we all have grow up with. Myth of battle of Kosovo in 1381. In this battle our king had option to either fight the battle or not. He has asked Italian and Austrian kingdoms for help but they didnt wanna help. Everybody was certain that they will all die if they fight this battle since ottoman forces were 6 to 1. They decided to fight because they belived its right thing to do.
Novak decided to stay in Serbia and play for Serbia. He had forgive to Serbia for no support. We dont know for sure what happend 1381 at batlle of Kosovo, but Novak started living this myth and we started seeing him as our king who who dont wanna put his sword down. In one of the interviews he said " I am playing for my country". He really meant I am playing for every and each of my people. I am keeping this myth alive and I am keeping hope for my people. For people around the globe its hard to understand this. Novak understands the wight he has on his shoulders and what his legacy is doing to us Serbians. In one of her interviews, his mother told us a story when he went to visit head of the Serbian Orthodox Church Epsichop Pavle. He was on his bed rest and Novak wanted to see him before he dies. Novak wanted blessing from such of wise man and living saint. He couldnt open his eyes and they were about to leave when episkop Pavle assistant called them back. She said he opened those blue ayes and it looked like whole the world opened. He gave him a blessing.
She said this had huge impact on him.
People and media are saying he wants to be loved. I am sure it would be easier for him if there are less people cheering when he makes double fault, I am also sure he wants to send general good message to people around the world. Does he really cares much what somebody in London or Texas think. Honestly I dont think so. Because he plays for "his country and his people" like he said many times.
I am sure there is many players playing for greater cause rather than individual success. But I doubt there is as great as Djokovic cause. And this is why he turns lost battle in to the wins. Sometime it looks like it was some divine intervention and I am now almost positive it was. He is Serbian light at the end of the tunel and he knows it. No matter how hursh we are on him when he lose, and trust me we are 10 times more hursh and ugly than western media, he always forgive and never complains. He is carying that racquet like a sword for all of us "his people" into ethernity and nothing and nobody will stop him. This is why he is mental giant and phoenix. Its not just he wants 21 slams for himself. Like I sad nothing will change and nobody will change opinon about him but I hope it will help to understand him a litlle bit.

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
TL;DR. Are you asking Djokovic to give you a loan?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I've read your whole post and I think you got the essence right. Djokovic is extremely proud of his Serbian heritage and isn't shy about it. Serbia is a sporting nation and do well in al kinds of team sports. But for individual sports Novak Djokovic is a true legend in the country - and not only there of course - as he's the most successful Serbian athlete ever.

The west always have this negative view against countries that were once in the Sovjet Union hemisphere but Yugoslavia was always a fringe state in that heavily Sovjet influenced part of Europe. Not many seems to know about that history unfortunately. And then we also had the Balkan wars of the '90's where the Serbians got painted as the only bad guys in Western media. Then we had the NATO bombings/Kosovo where there was this crime made by the West against the sovereign country of Serbia and yes my country participated in the bombings and I'm ashamed for it!

So it got a bit of the saying a knife cuts with both sides. Serbian people aren't the greatest fans of the Western world in general either. So when there's a stand out Serbian like the Djoker in a individual western world dominated sport like tennis it once was, you get that animosity in heavily western world countries like the USA, UK and Germany/Austria/Switzerland. But he is well loved in the middle east and Asia and of course the East in general so there's that.

Reactions: Tennis Passion

·
Registered
9,576 Posts

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
I think his fakery on court has nothing to do with 1990s war or a 1381 battle. That's why he is unliked.

·
Registered
22,378 Posts
Didn't know he was THIS much in debt.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It would be nice to get the facts right first, because the famous battle, that we are unfortunately still held hostage of, was in 1389, not 1381.
Not that it matters anything... Except maybe on a personal level, where one can search for any positive motivation which could help them succeed. I still doubt Djokovic draws his (main) motivation from that epic myth, either in his daily training or for big encounters.
When he arrived on the big scene, he was wedging himself between the two already established greats who were distinct enough in their appearance and style to create a duopoly among fans. He came late to the party as a party crusher, having mostly only compatriots fans support at the very beginning, which didn't help either given the context at that time.
He is a true champion and one of the greatest that played the game, and the world is still in debt to him, but that is slowly changing. He is getting that recognition that he rightfully deserves, even by some notorious head-cases here on MTF. :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
Lol ? at people saying they don’t like Nole because of his on court behaviors. You Nadal and Federer fans are such hypocrites. All three of them have bad behaviors on court and you only single out Nole. Please go bury yourself after you pick up your unemployment check

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
I think he has a cool personality and a mildly entertaining game.
The only reason I dislike him is because he's been a thorn in RAFA's ass. I know it's petty but I'm no saint.

·
29,699 Posts
I've read your whole post and I think you got the essence right. Djokovic is extremely proud of his Serbian heritage and isn't shy about it. Serbia is a sporting nation and do well in al kinds of team sports. But for individual sports Novak Djokovic is a true legend in the country - and not only there of course - as he's the most successful Serbian athlete ever.

The west always have this negative view against countries that were once in the Sovjet Union hemisphere but Yugoslavia was always a fringe state in that heavily Sovjet influenced part of Europe. Not many seems to know about that history unfortunately. And then we also had the Balkan wars of the '90's where the Serbians got painted as the only bad guys in Western media. Then we had the NATO bombings/Kosovo where there was this crime made by the West against the sovereign country of Serbia and yes my country participated in the bombings and I'm ashamed for it!

So it got a bit of the saying a knife cuts with both sides. Serbian people aren't the greatest fans of the Western world in general either. So when there's a stand out Serbian like the Djoker in a individual western world dominated sport like tennis it once was, you get that animosity in heavily western world countries like the USA, UK and Germany/Austria/Switzerland. But he is well loved in the middle east and Asia and of course the East in general so there's that.
The NATO military intervention in Kosovo was completely justified and correct, unless you think genocide and ethnic cleansing wasn't going on? :confused:

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I don't like him because of his behavior on court and his rude family especially his father. I just can't like him, sorry.
At least his family doesn't call one of the good friends a crybaby. And its not like Fedal are saints on court.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The NATO military intervention in Kosovo was completely justified and correct, unless you think genocide and ethnic cleansing wasn't going on? :confused:
Just like they've played with our emotions prior to the Iraq War, Libya, Syria and now Iran, by demonizing one side, they've played with our emotions prior to the bombings of Yugoslavia. They were selling you a war by manufacturing consent.
We now know that in order to justify the upcoming aggression on Serbia in 1999, the State Dept propaganda asserted the "genocide of 100,000 Albanians" on all western media outlets, 24/7.

However, after the bombings and the U.S. occupation of Kosovo, the international forensic experts found a total of 3,000 bodies in the entire Kosovo region, both Albanians and Serbs who died during the fighting between the Yugoslav National Army and the Albanian KLA which was btw a terrorist organization declared even by the US and the International community at the time.

Kosovo is extremely rich in many precious metals, lithium, lignite, and today those who were personally invested in the bombings like the NATO Supreme Commander Gen. Wesley Clark, the Clintons and Madeline Albright are all running their private energy companies in Kosovo, exploiting the natural resources for personal gain. Meanwhile the people living there, now mostly Albanians since the Serbs have been ethnically cleansed, have the highest cancer rate of all Europe caused by the NATO's use of depleted uranium shells. That's how the liberal democracy and disaster capitalism works, I guess.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Kosovo is Serbia. Period.

Once a war starts you never know how it will end, so better don't start it unless you are 200% sure you'll win it. It wasn't NATO who started Yugo wars.

Djokovic is nowhere near GOAT status. He might be there in the future but let you not start sucking each others' dicks just yet, tards.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Once a war starts you never know how it will end, so better don't start it unless you are 200% sure you'll win it. It wasn't NATO who started Yugo wars.
If Catalonia and the Basque Country were to unitarily declare an independence in a very bloody way, and the Spanish Army reacted to protect the territorial sovereignty of Spain, who started a war?

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
If Catalonia and the Basque Country were to unitarily declare an independence in a very bloody way, and the Spanish Army reacted to protect the territorial sovereignty of Spain, who started a war?
Obviously those who bloodily (on top of illegaly ) declared such thing.

But Kosovo war was one of several interconnected Yugo wars, the whole ex-Yugo was in flames well before the Kosovo bit started. This is quite off-topic here BTW...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Obviously those who blodily (on top of illegaly ) declared such thing.

But Kosovo war was one of several interconnected Yugo wars, the whole ex-Yugo was in flames well before the Kosovo bit started. This is quite off-topic here BTW...
Well, that's how the Yugo wars originated many years before it moved to Kosovo.

Agreed, we're getting way off topic :)

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
Random fans around the world will never like Djokovic because the tennis fandom was so polarized between Rafa and Roger, that when Novak arrived, he started destroying both their supremacies. He should be proud of gathering so much fans overall, and also be proud that with every record, GS and week at #1 on top, the more butthurt Rafa and Roger fans will be.

And never be fooled that it's people cheering for Thiem or Wawrinka. It's mostly Rafa- and Fed-tards cheering against Djokovic. Saw it first hand at a lot of tennis matches around the world. And Western media is just trying to protect the pure immaturity of its own people, writing articles how "Why isn't Djokovic liked". Bullshit, they all hate the idea that someone from a tennis-wise obscure country dominated their champions.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts