Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the conclusion of the second week of the 2022 grass court season, I have seen some posters on MTF claim Hurkacz or Berrettini being the favorites to win the Wimbledon championships. Hurkacz has won Halle Open but so did Humbert last year. Matteo has triumphed at Queen's but did he not win last year too?

Novak Djokovic has won Wimbledon championships six times including the last three editions. Since his return to form three years ago, Djokovic has lost in completed matches only to Thiem, Wawrinka, Nadal and Medvedev at slams (his loss to Busta was via default). Thiem and Medvedev won't compete this year. Wawrinka is almost washed up and this leaves us with only Rafael Nadal among the Djokovic conquerors. I won't be shocked if Nadal beats Djokovic. But considering two facts - one, Nadal hasn't beaten Djokovic off clay since 2013 and two, Nadal hasn't won Wimbledon since 2010 - I would consider Djokovic the favorite should they meet in the final.

The rest of the field has players such as Tsitsipas, FAA, Hurkacz, Berrettini, Cilic, Ruud, Kyrgios, Murray and Shapovalov. Tsitsipas, Ruud and Shapovalov have massively struggled in this year's grass court season. Stefanos can't be ruled out entirely but the lack of good grass court pedigree will put him in the 'outside chance' list. Ruud does not have the gameplay suited to the surface while Denis does not have the mindset suited to any surface. Cilic is better and is more experienced, but I really cannot imagine him taking out Djokovic given their lopsided head-to-head record. Moreover Cilic failed to reach the final of any grass court tournament this year. Kyrgios cannot be dismissed as mere nuisance but he cannot be called a contender either, as he has never reached the semifinals of any slam. Nor has he won any tournament outside hard courts in his career. Murray has not had a deeper run at slams in ages. His fans may point at his final run at Stuttgart, but let us not forget him reaching a 250 final earlier this year in Australia. The most expected result from Murray is an early implosion.

The best bets are Berrettini, Hurkacz and FAA. FAA is without a grass court title (in fact he has won only one title) and the lack of experience playing five setters hurts him. While he has some weapons to trouble Novak, I don't think it will be possible for him to cause a giant upset in a five setter. The same is true for Hurkacz. True, he has a grass court title now, but as I said earlier so has Humbert. Matteo Berrettini is the only one to claim multiple titles on grass - he has won four of them. But here is the catch - Berrettini has won only two matches against top ten ranked opponents on grass. This record reminds me of Andy Roddick who also had two wins against top ten ranked opponents. Roddick reached three Wimbledon finals and one other semifinal. He also won Queen's club championships four times. (In Berrettini's defense though, his record against top ten opponents on grass is 2-2 as opposed to Roddick's 2-9.) Berrettini might go deep, but Djokovic knows where his weakness is, and will keep attacking his fragile backhand.

So, all in all, it will need something special from Nadal or a massive upset from somebody else to prevent Djokovic from equaling Sampras's tally of seven titles at the All-England club. I for one, can't see that happening.

Sports uniform Gesture Yellow Player Championship

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont believe that I am saying this but i think Kyrgios can trouble Nole for sure
He has beaten Nole twice

After seeing both the matches today,sad to say Rafa cant beat Nole on grass… he can beat him on hard court but grass
I just dont see it

hope i turn outto be wrong
Those two losses came in 2017 when Djokovic was out of form.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts