1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Surely not for an underhand server?

2014 RULES OF TENNIS (discuss within these rules):

Demonstration that underhand service IS ALLOWED:
16. THE SERVICE
Immediately before starting the service motion, the server shall stand at rest with
both feet behind (i.e. further from the net than) the baseline and within the imaginary
extensions of the centre mark and the sideline.
The server shall then release the ball by hand in any direction and hit the ball with
the racket before the ball hits the ground. The service motion is completed at the
moment that the player’s racket hits or misses the ball. A player who is able to use
only one arm may use the racket for the release of the ball.
17. SERVING
When serving in a standard game, the server shall stand behind alternate halves of
the court, starting from the right half of the court in every game.
In a tie-break game, the service shall be served from behind alternate halves of the
court, with the first served from the right half of the court.
The service shall pass over the net and hit the service court diagonally opposite,
before the receiver returns it.
18. FOOT FAULT
During the service motion, the server shall not:
a. Change position by walking or running, although slight movements of the feet
are permitted;
or
b. Touch the baseline or the court with either foot; or
c. Touch the area outside the imaginary extension of the sideline with either
foot; or
d. Touch the imaginary extension of the centre mark with either foot.
If the server breaks this rule it is a “Foot Fault”.
19. SERVICE FAULT
The service is a fault if:
a. The server breaks Rules 16, 17 or 18; or
b. The server misses the ball when trying to hit it; or
c. The ball served touches a permanent fixture, singles stick or net post before it
hits the ground; or
d. The ball served touches the server or server’s partner, or anything the server
or server’s partner is wearing or carrying.
Demonstration that an opponent-not-ready call should not have been FAULT:
21. WHEN TO SERVE & RECEIVE
The server shall not serve until the receiver is ready. However, the receiver shall play
to the reasonable pace of the server and shall be ready to receive within a reasonable
time of the server being ready.
A receiver who attempts to return the service shall be considered as being ready. If it
is demonstrated that the receiver is not ready, the service cannot be called a fault.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
umpire screwed up :confused:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
She clearly says fault. But I have no idea why.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Umpire called fault. And from the position of Gonzalez after returning the serve, I believe the ball was in.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
"fault" could mean that the serve was out. In fact, many lines people shout "fault" to indicate that the serve has landed out.

From ITF Tennis Rules of Tennis:
19. SERVICE FAULT
c. The ball served touches a permanent fixture, singles stick or net post before it hits the ground; or
d. The ball served touches the server or server’s partner, or anything the server or server’s partner is wearing or carrying
17. SERVING
When serving in a standard game, the server shall stand behind alternate halves of the court, starting from the right half of the court in every game.
In a tie-break game, the service shall be served from behind alternate halves of the court, with the first served from the right half of the court.
The service shall pass over the net and hit the service court diagonally opposite, before the receiver returns it.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
The only reason I can think of that the returner wasn't ready. Maybe Janowicz was trying to make a point that Gonzalez was not playing to the pace of the server but the umpire didn't rush him. Or it was out. Or the umpire is an idiot.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The only reason I can think of that the returner wasn't ready. Maybe Janowicz was trying to make a point that Gonzalez was not playing to the pace of the server but the umpire didn't rush him. Or it was out. Or the umpire is an idiot.
Lol, how many matches have u seen in your life? 5?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
:confused:

umps often use the not ready excuse to turn underhanders out.

i'm pretty sure they are instructed to call faults on underhanders without explaining themselves much, which is dumb, coz it''s the easiest rule to be changed.

Ball needs to be tossed above the head height for a serve to be legitimate.

And the underhander is gone.

·
Rankings Master
15,648 Posts
The only reason is that the umpire screwed up. There is no rule preventing underhand serves in the game of tennis. 2014 rules of tennis:

16. THE SERVICE
Immediately before starting the service motion, the server shall stand at rest with
both feet behind (i.e. further from the net than) the baseline and within the imaginary
extensions of the centre mark and the sideline.
The server shall then release the ball by hand in any direction and hit the ball with
the racket before the ball hits the ground. The service motion is completed at the
moment that the player’s racket hits or misses the ball. A player who is able to use
only one arm may use the racket for the release of the ball.
17. SERVING
When serving in a standard game, the server shall stand behind alternate halves of
the court, starting from the right half of the court in every game.
In a tie-break game, the service shall be served from behind alternate halves of the
court, with the first served from the right half of the court.
The service shall pass over the net and hit the service court diagonally opposite,
before the receiver returns it.
18. FOOT FAULT
During the service motion, the server shall not:
a. Change position by walking or running, although slight movements of the feet
are permitted;
or
b. Touch the baseline or the court with either foot; or
c. Touch the area outside the imaginary extension of the sideline with either
foot; or
d. Touch the imaginary extension of the centre mark with either foot.
If the server breaks this rule it is a “Foot Fault”.
19. SERVICE FAULT
c. The ball served touches a permanent fixture, singles stick or net post before it
hits the ground; or
d. The ball served touches the server or server’s partner, or anything the server
or server’s partner is wearing or carrying.
Jerzy's serve is within tennis rules, the umpire should not have disallowed it.

·
Rankings Master
15,648 Posts

i'm pretty sure they are instructed to call faults on underhanders without explaining themselves much, which is dumb, coz it''s the easiest rule to be changed.

Nothing like that exists within tennis rules. Turning underhanders out by using the opponent not ready excuse is way more plausible.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
:rolleyes: See the replies below

Nothing like that exists within tennis rules. Turning underhanders out by using the opponent not ready excuse is way more plausible.
What I think latso meant was that they could change the rules as such to prevent underhanders. Personally I don't see a reason for it, it's a fun change-up especially if the opponent is standing way back to receive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts