Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kafelnikov was inducted in 2019.

Whilst Chang in 2008, Rafter in 2006 and Stich 2018.

He was arguably better than those three players, even more when you take into account his doubles achievement.

Did he say no to the induction previously?

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
He was not better or more successful than Chang IMO, despite his six weeks at no.1 and one slam title more, but he was definitely greater because of those two achievements + OG medal.

Chang___4 slam finals, 8 slam semis, 7 masters titles, 34 titles, w/l 662–312
Kafelnikov 3 slam finals, 6 slam semis, 0 masters titles, 26 titles, w/l 609–306

Stich is five years older, so, in a way, Kafelnikov entered there quicker.

·
justice for all
18,036 Posts
He was inducted into betting hall of fame way before that.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Gambling issues connection or sloppy work by the nominating committee. Marcelo Rios and Mary Pierce also suffered by long delays in their nominations.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Accusations by the American-dominated HOF of being a poor ambassador of the sport. Here's a quote from Jon Wertheim on that:

Yet—while harder to support empirically—there is what I’ll call a “citizenship component.” Did the player make a positive impact on the culture of the sport? Did the player respect the sport? Did the player have the comportment and professionalism worthy of enshrinement? The respect of their peers? I think Kafelnikov failed significantly here. And while I speak only for myself, his failed candidacy suggests that others feel likewise.
Gambling issues connection or sloppy work by the nominating committee. Marcelo Rios and Mary Pierce also suffered by long delays in their nominations.
Marcelo Rios? Hall of Fame? ...

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Oh dear who gives a fuck about HoF? It means nothing, zero, nada. It's just some random American private entity trying to make some money, nothing else.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
He was not better or more successful than Chang IMO, despite his six weeks at no.1 and one slam title more, but he was definitely greater because of those two achievements + OG medal.

Chang___4 slam finals, 8 slam semis, 7 masters titles, 34 titles, w/l 662–312
Kafelnikov 3 slam finals, 6 slam semis, 0 masters titles, 26 titles, w/l 609–306

Stich is five years older, so, in a way, Kafelnikov entered there quicker.
I was including Kafelnikov's doubles achievements which included 4 grand slams as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts