Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Banned
Del Potro - The Gentle Giant
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read here that he's the HC goat but i cant help but finding that statement quite ridiculous tbh considering his lack of success in the States.

He did well in Australia but in the States he just hasn't had enough success to be considered that good on hard.

Pete Sampras 5
Jimmy Connors 5
Roger Federer 5
John McEnroe 4
Rafael Nadal 4

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Few reasons.

1) It's at the end of the year and given that Djokovic is usually always consistent from start to finish (playing and winning tons of masters too), he's just not at his physical best by then and others take advantage of that.

2) The weather is often very humid and windy. And Djokovic doesn't like that.

3) The conditions at USO (especially when it was decoturf) was slow and high bouncing and mimicked clay. It's literally the closest a hardcourt ever came to playing like a clay court.

4) Brutal draws when compared to Nadal.

Those are the reasons.

·
Banned
Del Potro - The Gentle Giant
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Federer hasn't won that in 14 years. In 2008. When Djokovic was 20/21. Stop kidding yourself.
He was beaten there in the final by peak Federer (2007), peak Nadal (2010 & 2013), peak Murray (2012), peak Wawrinka (2016) and peak Medvedev (2021) :rolls:

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Everything Wow said plus it's a weird slam. The record is only 5 there, its not a slam that's easily dominated or necessarily representative of HCs in general, it's a bit of an inconsistent slam because of reasons already listed (end of long year, weather, court often playing like somewhere in between hard and clay courts)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Few reasons.

1) It's at the end of the year and given that Djokovic is usually always consistent from start to finish (playing and winning tons of masters too), he's just not at his physical best by then and others take advantage of that.

3) The conditions at USO (especially when it was decoturf) was slow and high bouncing and mimicked clay. It's literally the closest a hardcourt ever came to playing like a clay court.

Those are the reasons.
I agree on the first two, that is the case for a lot of players though.

#3 It is still a HC, and it does not play like clay.
#4 Everybody has to deal with the draw and that balances out quite nicely over the span of a 15+ year long career

However, your first point is the most relevant one, the best players are somehow burned out by summer and need to catch a break more often than not during that time. Leaves room for the 2nd best guys who have a good shot then.

p.s: first non-tardish, non brainfart post I've seen from you in a long time, maybe there is hope mate. Keep it up

·
Banned
392 Posts
‘Tiredness’ didn’t stop Djokovic from reaching 9 finals at USO.🙄🙄
Why can’t the tards just admit that their final opponent just played better than him.🤦🏻‍♂️
Exactly. I just read excuses here for not accepting that Djoko isn't that good on hard. He was able to reach 9 finals, hes a good hardcourter but failed at winning most of them what shows clearly that he is far from goat level on hard courts.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
While he only have 3 titles, people ignore that he also have 6 more finals there, that really shows that he indeed is greatest hardcourter of all time. Why he lost those finals is another question, and bad luck is big part of the answer to low title number. Few examples: 2012 hurricane, the only way Murray beats him there, 2020 unlucky default, hard to see anyone beating him on the way to the title, 2021 i think he beats Danil if its normal final without history on the line, you could feel tension in every move he made that day... On top of that other reasons others already stated in this thread.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Few reasons.

Those are the reasons.
Not that the other points don't smell fishy, but 3) is hypertard-level mental gymnastics - if Nadal wins, it must be clay, no?

On topic, Faker is a very good hardcourt player, but just happened to come up against better players on the day - Fraud got him a few times when he was still in his prime (and also got to match points a couple of times after), Dull was almost unplayable in 2010 and really good in 2013, then Murray and Stanimal also got their turns to peak and feast on him. It's really that simple, he ran into elite opposition and lost.

Oh, forgot Medvedev - Faker just cracked under the pressure in that one, and Medvedev delivered his best; there could only be one winner in that situation.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
None made more finals than him in the USO so I wouldn't call that a lack of success but he surely had the tendency to choke a lot in finals. Bad luck + external factors mostly.

Even in 2014 and 2020 he should've done better and now in 2022 he won't get the chance to fight for the title even with him being the big favorite to win.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
It seems to me that he is indeed the greatest choker on hardcourts of all time. :rolls:
I dont know, reaching 9 finals is a pretty impressive feat. But you also a bit right, i felt few times he really dropped the ball there and lost matches that he should have won, like that semi against Nishikori... Hes definitely not a mental giant some think him to be.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts