1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
177 Posts
They did the same nonsense Thursday, making Tsonga and Querrey wait several hours while other matches finished.

The Wimbledon organizers are idiots, but this is not breaking news.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was thinking the exact same thing. The only time a player is more eager before their match, is before the re-start of their match.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Spectators. A lot of people prefer watching full matches, so if an unfinished match is first and it doesn't feature at least one very (!) big name, the seats are mostly empty. This looks bad on TV, so those matches are scheduled second in the hope that most spectators that came for the first (full) match just stay for the second. A fuller "stadium" might also draw more wandering spectators to the place. What the players think about that is of lesser importance for a tournament organizer, as long as they don't rebel against it. At least that's my explanation.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Doesn't this happen at every slam? I thought it is to give players time to have a proper night's rest and prepare for the remainder of the match.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Doesn't this happen at every slam? I thought it is to give players time to have a proper night's rest and prepare for the remainder of the match.
Normally yes, that is the reasoning behind it. But this time play was suspended due to rain at like 7.30 PM. That's really early in the evening, so players should have had a good night's rest and be ready to play at 11.30 AM again

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Im not saying i agree. But all 1st games of every day is already set for a certain time. While the next games arent. So the 1st games play naturally and then they stick the games from day bafore to fit between 1st and 2nd games. Tv stations have the same rights.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Spectators. A lot of people prefer watching full matches, so if an unfinished match is first and it doesn't feature at least one very (!) big name, the seats are mostly empty. This looks bad on TV, so those matches are scheduled second in the hope that most spectators that came for the first (full) match just stay for the second. A fuller "stadium" might also draw more wandering spectators to the place. What the players think about that is of lesser importance for a tournament organizer, as long as they don't rebel against it. At least that's my explanation.
This is hands down the most stupid thing I've read all year.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
Wimbledon is absolutely heaving from the first minute, there's no worry about filling seats.

I could be playing a match against my friend and it would draw in a full crowd.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
they usually put a match who is started already on second turn. its soo soon make them play first, they have to warm up a lot more after all...

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
There were three matches held over, two were in progress and one not started. The unstarted match was first on the schedule. The other two - as other people have said, matches in progress are always scheduled second, mostly to give the players more rest. This seems to be asked (and answered) every darn tournament.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts