Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are no outspoken controversial personalaties in todays tennis.

Federer, Nadal, Murray, Del Porto etc. All shy, humble guys who always says the right boring things.. You have jokers like Djokovic, Tsonga, Monfils but they also says the right things all the time..

I miss a crazy Gazza/Balotelli/Di Canio/Maradona type in Tennis. Or a "Im the best, f*ck the rest"-type like Cantona, Ali or Mourinho etc. I guy you really either LOVE or HATE.

I know its a gentleman-sport and that the players are role models but its boring for the journalists, fans etc. The most controversial thing in this sport is when Nadal takes a MTO.. Come on..

We need some Wierdo-types in Tennis like McEnroe, Safin ASAP.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
A-rod? But everyone hates him for it :)

·
Premium Member
20,674 Posts
People should be themselves. I believe a lot of "I'm the best, F*ck the rest" types are putting on an act -- either to artificially boost their confidence or for publicity.

No one likes a fake personality. And most people don't like genuine a**holes. :shrug:

3,728 Posts
its the lose lose situation for the guys

if they are humble- people call them boring- pete sampras

if they are charismatic- people call them douches- andy roddick

Reactions: Castafiore

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I like your post. I'd love to see more personalities too. I think that everyone is trying to be politically correct. They don't say what they really think. They all are trying to be nice. I used to like younger Novak because he was very honest and crazy. Now, he is #1 and he is super 'nice' too. Roddick is the only one who hasn't changed.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
The media and tennis authorities claim they want personalities and then, if one emerges, they're all over them negatively like a bad rash.

Wouldn't you shut up? I would.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Well, Djokovic is still showing enough (aggressive) personality.
Much better than Nadal.
Can't believe there was a No.1 kept saying "sorry, I won this match" "I won, but he is still the better player" and give an fucking ugly face when losing.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Most of these players get media training so they learn to be PC...Also, they want to be popular with fans and not piss anyone off, because the more popular they are, the more sponsorship deals they'll get :shrug: btw he's injured now but Hewitt was another one who was known for being a jerk, in addition to Roddick :lol:

That said, I have a feeling Djokovic will be a lot less nice in the future when his magical run ends :shrug: He's gotten so used to winning he's not gonna be a happy camper once things stop going his way. I mean look at how Federer acted once Nadal started beating him all the time, and now it's the same when Nadal loses to Djokovic :lol:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
The media and tennis authorities claim they want personalities and then, if one emerges, they're all over them negatively like a bad rash.

Wouldn't you shut up? I would.
Seriously. People claim often to want things until they actually get them.

About two decades ago a bad boy/girl type of player could make a good living as that type of a person. They could even get some sweet sponsorship deals.

But now? No way. That person would be seen as a liability and bad for a brand's image. So players who want that money are going to play it as safe as possible. It's a very corporate world we live in now. Look what happened to Tiger Woods' sponsorships when his infidelities got out.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
People should be themselves. I believe a lot of "I'm the best, F*ck the rest" types are putting on an act -- either to artificially boost their confidence or for publicity.

No one likes a fake personality. And most people don't like genuine a**holes. :shrug:
Maybe, but Muhammed Ali himself admitted in interviews that a lot of what he said was just that: an act done for publicity and screwing with his opponents heads.

It certainly worked for him.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Roddick is a petulant asshole who is unnecessarily abusive to chair umps, linesmen, and everyone else who is unfortunate enough to cross paths with him. We don't need more like him.

And Taejin is right - the horrendous occasional behavior of JMac and Connors was an embarrassment to the sport.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I miss a crazy Gazza/Balotelli/Di Canio/Maradona type in Tennis. Or a "Im the best, f*ck the rest"-type like Cantona, Ali or Mourinho etc. I guy you really either LOVE or HATE.
You do get personalities like this - e.g. Fognini and Köllerer - but they aren't ranked at the top of the game.

I mean if you had rankings in football where would someone like Balotelli be ranked? He'd be lucky to be 50-100 and that's exactly where you find players like Fognini (or Köllerer before he was banned). Just doesn't happen very often that you get a player who is both incredibly talented and a massive character.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why? So they can get crap from the media and spectators. They claim they want a personality but give grief if you say one thing out of line. I wouldn't want to waste the energy. You can't win.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts