Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had the Tennis Channel for a long time now and i am increasingly surprised by the dearth of tennis-related ads featured. i've seen ads for a product called the "Cham-wow" that you can use to wash your car. and ads for some Japanese product [Knoxi?] that is basically a large plaster you put under your feet and it supposedly draws toxins away from your body. and then there are the knives and knife-sharpener.

but no tennis balls, rackets, clothing, ball-machines, or anything remotely related to the featured sport. i don't get it...do you?? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I don't get TTC, but I'll go out on a whim and say they pick the commercials that offer the most money, even if it's some arguably crappy product like "Cham-wow". Hey, it's the better than watching the commercials for golf tournaments... I'm really not interested in learning about cures for erectile dysfunction.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Sure, TTC doesn't have much choice. We have similar crappy commercials on DSF, a german sports channel which shows the Davis Cup.
Compare that with the commercials on CBS, when they're broadcasting the US Open. Plenty of tennis related ones with Sharapova, Roddick etc. I really enjoyed those when I watched part of last year's US Open final on CBS via a livestream.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Difference: CBS is a national channel where TTC is a minor network.

CBS has people lining up to pay for ads for their sporting events including tennis. because they've been an established network for a very long time.

TTC takes what ever commercials they can get for the time being until their value grows and people want to invest in them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
hey, they're making money and revolutionizing tennis on tv. I see no reason to complain.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
The ads are really bad, but they are marketed towards old peeps if you hadn't noticed...which believe it or not is largest demographic when it comes to watching tennis on television...retirees woot woot!

The real question is "Why isn't Tennis Channel, showing tennis anymore?"

San Jose snubbed last week, along with Memphis this week...hmmMMmm...

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
TTC must have terrible funds or poor viewership to get funds if they cant even show live tennis in the US.

Then again, they send people over to Doha, so what gives?

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
TTC must have terrible funds or poor viewership to get funds if they cant even show live tennis in the US.

Then again, they send people over to Doha, so what gives?
Um...yes and no.

They actually have incredible financial backing in the US. Crap I mean, they are the only station I know of that has their own exclusive tennis tournement. They have some pretty cool shows, and their hours of tennis coverage has actually increased every year......I mean TTC just bought AO, and French Open broadcasting rights...so they can't be doing too bad. I've had TTC since the first day it was on air. So if you think this is bad you have no idea...just imagine re-runs of World Team Tennis all day...:sad:

The problem with certain tournaments like San Jose, is that it's owned by FSN and Comcast. Why isn't TTC getting in on the bidding? Memphis I have no clue why they aren't showing it because they have shown it every year in the past.:mad:

I'm thrilled by alot of the things they do, and completely confuzzled by others. :eek:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The ads are really bad, but they are marketed towards old peeps if you hadn't noticed...which believe it or not is largest demographic when it comes to watching tennis on television...retirees woot woot!

The real question is "Why isn't Tennis Channel, showing tennis anymore?"

San Jose snubbed last week, along with Memphis this week...hmmMMmm...
hey Fumus :kiss: your response makes the most sense. thanks.

my sweetie thinks that a lot of what are packaged as "shows" [in-between tourney fillers], are actually cleverly packaged ads probably ads paid for by the ATP, WTA, La Costa Spa etc etc. that makes sense too.

:wavey: :wavey:

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Sure, TTC doesn't have much choice. We have similar crappy commercials on DSF, a german sports channel which shows the Davis Cup.
Especially at night! :rolls:

Ruft An! :help:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Um...yes and no.

They actually have incredible financial backing in the US. Crap I mean, they are the only station I know of that has their own exclusive tennis tournement. They have some pretty cool shows, and their hours of tennis coverage has actually increased every year......I mean TTC just bought AO, and French Open broadcasting rights...so they can't be doing too bad. I've had TTC since the first day it was on air. So if you think this is bad you have no idea...just imagine re-runs of World Team Tennis all day...:sad:

The problem with certain tournaments like San Jose, is that it's owned by FSN and Comcast. Why isn't TTC getting in on the bidding? Memphis I have no clue why they aren't showing it because they have shown it every year in the past.:mad:

I'm thrilled by alot of the things they do, and completely confuzzled by others. :eek:
Apparently TC operates on a strict budget. They are spending that more of that budget on Grand Slams and consequently have less available for other tournament air rights. Hence, they apparently won't be showing us Indian Wells and Miami, the two largest US tourneys after the USO. That's the price for lots of GS coverage.

As for the ads, yeah, they take whatever they can get. And when they can't get any, they show us more Bag Checks for goodness sake. (At least they aren't showing political ads :p )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts