Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are some medias saying that Andy Roddick lost against a nobody? :confused: :eek:

I mean Gilles Muller played yesterday the match of his life but it wasn't his first big upset! ;)

Gilles Muller defeated Rafael Nadal in Wimbledon 2005 :angel: , reached the final of Los Angeles by defeating Dominik Hrbaty in the semis, defeated Olympic winner Nicolas Massu in Washington, in 2004 he won over Andre Agassi :angel: (reaching Washington final), over Igor Andreev and David Nalbandian :angel: ! And he was Junior champion of the year 2000/2001! :angel:

Some medias are treating Gilles Muller like a one-day-wonder without regards to his former (great) performances! You can't say Gilles Muller is a nobody... only because he is from small Luxembourg! :shout:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
calling him a nobody is not fair. he is a good player and i hope to see him more often :)

Reactions: Cris

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

·
Registered
5,780 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
drimal04 said:
Why are some medias saying that Andy Roddick lost against a nobody? :confused: :eek:

I mean Gilles Muller played yesterday the match of his life but it wasn't his first big upset! ;)

Gilles Muller defeated Rafael Nadal in Wimbledon 2005 :angel: , reached the final of Los Angeles by defeating Dominik Hrbaty in the semis, defeated Olympic winner Nicolas Massu in Washington, in 2004 he won over Andre Agassi :angel: (reaching Washington final), over Igor Andreev and David Nalbandian :angel: ! And he was Junior champion of the year 2000/2001! :angel:

Some medias are treating Gilles Muller like a one-day-wonder without regards to his former (great) performances! You can't say Gilles Muller is a nobody... only because he is from small Luxembourg! :shout:
Because most of the US Media is ignorant and incapable of knowing about more than a handful of prominent players.

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts
I agree.. I saw on the USO site they said he was unheard of :lol:

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
he's had big wins ths year, but even with the roddick victory he is 16-17 match record this year. A losing W/L record. it IS a major upset at every level. but he played beautifully and like a champ. :yeah:

·
Registered
698 Posts
drimal04 said:

For us die hard fans we know he is not a nobody, but when events like the us open or wimbledon are on it catches the imagination of people who don't follow tennis all year round and to them they are not going to heard of Giles Muller, perfectly good post he is quality player, but to the general public who only catch tennis when it's a grand slam he is obviously a no body to them.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Because they're trying t o suggest that it can never happen again. I do not think Gilles played the match of his life against Roddick. He played a smart and controlled match. I'm surprised he doesn't have a bigger serve considering how tall he is.

Many people have said he's a fluke and he should be happy to get this win but it won't last. This kind of shit really pisses me off because it doesn't matter when he doesn't do in the future, but what he's done can never be undone. He beat Roddick so let him bask in the glory of that victory for as long as he wants to. Nothing will ever change that Roddick lost 1st round at the 2005 USO. Nothing.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It's because "the common American fat guy" has never heard of him

no disrespect, i'm not serious ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Many members of the media who hyped Roddick ad nauseum, now have egg on their face and can't believe that he lost in the first round. Maybe, if they had done their homework and noticed that Muller is a young, talented player, they wouldn't be so shocked.

I've been a tennis fan for nearly twenty-five years (an old timer ;) ) and I'm constantly amazed by the growing obsession with promoting American players to the exclusion of other, equally talented professionals. I've never allowed a person's nationality to determine my appreciation for his/her game.

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
drimal04 said:
I think that the fact he is from Luxembourg is also contributing towards that "nobody" image. But also, people hardly know him (only insider noticed him) he didn't go deep in important tournaments so far, he isn't ranked that high, he normally doesn't get a lot of headlines, he is still a young player. This all contributes to that image quickly, but the win yesterday against Roddick should have ensured that his name is more well known now ;)

·
Banned
34,157 Posts
madmanfool said:
It's because "the common American fat guy" has never heard of him

no disrespect, i'm not serious ;)

the proper term to describe the average american is overweight.

although this will soon be replaced by obese.

and they are not alone as far as 1st world countries are concerned.

·
Banned
34,157 Posts
Neely said:
I think that the fact he is from Luxembourg is also contributing towards that "nobody" image. But also, people hardly know him (only insider noticed him) he didn't go deep in important tournaments so far, he isn't ranked that high, he normally doesn't get a lot of headlines, he is still a young player. This all contributes to that image quickly, but the win yesterday against Roddick should have ensured that his name is more well known now ;)
that is true.

if he was french instead, he would be very easy to hate for americans.

but most americans dont even know what luxembourg is, the idea of a meal consisting of Laksa soup and a hamburger sounds quite appealing.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
drimal04 said:
well, it's easy for you to ask that. You are a devout watcher of tennis.

·
MY BOY HAS 17 GRAND SLAMS
16,844 Posts
its.like.that said:
but most americans dont even know what luxembourg is, the idea of a meal consisting of Laksa soup and a hamburger sounds quite appealing.
:haha:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts