Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The game is much more conditioned and physical nowadays, just go to youtube and compare to matches even of the 90's let alone earlier and yet the people who run tennis behind scenes are totally static and just counting money pretending it's all good. I compare it to football which is also more physical nowadays where literally a dozen players died on the field in the last decade yet the rulers just don't care and are happy couunting the money as always.
n
Do we have to see someone having a heart attack in the heat or in a 4 hour match ? Seriously, why can't they at least air condition and let coaches down if they are there. Scheduling is outrageous and terrible most of the time. They can't even water clay courts when it gets hot at RG nor do they have lights for a later match, there are no air condition in humid Miami but at least Australia figured out to have a late match in the middle of their summer and a closed stadium. Some will say, there is time wasting, well not really, it may take a few minutes but players would be more focused and fresh to play the game instead of battling outside forces for hours on end.

·
Your visions will happen
47,123 Posts
You should be able to coach, but only from the stands.

If I was playing a player, and his coach came down and started talking to him, I'd go and listen in to what they were saying. Why wouldn't I? They are revealing their information.

So you say, ok, well he's gonna speak in another language. Ok, maybe I cannot learn their ways if they speak in another language, but body language reading tells just as much.

If you are allowed to coach only from the stands, you have to use signs. It makes it more of a chess game.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SP-bzeNOHGI/AAAAAAAAE7E/dUAH2nJS-kQ/s400/toni+nadal.jpg

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
One thing I love about tennis is that you are on your own during a match. Coaches should do their home work before a match. So, no coaching is fine with me and I hope it'll never be allowed. I feel very strong about this.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
One thing I love about tennis is that you are on your own during a match. Coaches should do their home work before a match. So, no coaching is fine with me and I hope it'll never be allowed. I feel very strong about this.

That is what make tennis unique

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If I was playing a player, and his coach came down and started talking to him, I'd go and listen in to what they were saying. Why wouldn't I? They are revealing their information.

So you say, ok, well he's gonna speak in another language. Ok, maybe I cannot learn their ways if they speak in another language, but body language reading tells just as much.

If you are allowed to coach only from the stands, you have to use signs. It makes it more of a chess game.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SP-bzeNOHGI/AAAAAAAAE7E/dUAH2nJS-kQ/s400/toni+nadal.jpg
You immediately think of cheating, no wonder you like cheatdal

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

If you read my post instead of going on a wild tangent. you will see that I am only talking about breaking the game during bad conditions instead of driving the game to the killing fields literally in the ways football does it where almost every year a player dies on the field and the authorities pretend that there is no problem as it's not in their interest to acknowledge it let alone to solve it. Substitutions are rare and frowned upon and they are forcing old outdated rules to the style of game. Likewise in tennis, taking a break especially during terrible conditions and they are everywhere even in slams, should be encouraged not frowned upon even if that means actual coaching which I don't care for but it's also dumb to have a coach in the stands if he is not doing anything.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts

:haha::haha::haha::haha: god I missed MTF

·
Registered
22,412 Posts
I don't like the idea of coaching being allowed from the stands or from the court but it doesn't make logical sense to me how a coach isn't allowed to yell out or say instructions to a player from the stands but any other random fan is allowed to say what they want. If any random fan can say to a player "hit more towards the opponents backhand" or "attack more, get inside the court" then why can't the coach? Just because he's being paid to instruct the player and is more informed he's not allowed to say anything? He's in the stands just like a normal fan.

I also don't get why you included the coach part in with the breaks when you're talking about heat, and players not being fit enough for these retarded physical stuff. Sounds like you just want to create excuses to insert breaks into the game for the safety of the players. If there's reason enough to have breaks during a match then by all means insert breaks in matches, between sets or whatnot, or put air conditioning blowing onto the players during the changeovers or whatever you think is necessary but don't argue for some random bullshit coaching breaks as an excuse to keep the players safe. If you need breaks put in breaks, but don't put in coaching breaks for the purposes of safety and try to veil it as something that it's not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts