Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Big3 healthy and competitive (we should be thankful and not take it for granted, as i pointed out in another thread.. they only played in the same tournament 3 times per year from 2016 – 2018). They might not be at their prime in terms of consistency, but they still set the bar level-wise.

- Upward trajectory of Medvedev, Thiem, Tsitsipas.. will it continue?

- Unknown factors:
can Murray, Wawrinka, Del Potro, Dimitrov, Raonic, Nishikori, Cilic, Andersson, come back to their best?
can Shapovalov, FAA, Sinner continue on their way up?
or will it be Zverev's [email protected]#$ing time, finally?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I truly hope this is finally the year a youngster breaks through and actually takes a slam (ideally winning the final or at least semifinal against a big 3 player to avoid asterisks).

Not holding my breath though.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
It's because

The years to come could be the most top heavy tennis tour ever...

Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Sinner, Thiem could all realistically win majors and are at that level now, 7 players.

Aliassime could join the list very soon. Shapovalov's full potential is still an unknown, but he as well at his best could be beating these players, or at the least the ones below.

Guys like Zverev can be good enough for a match or two to beat these players at his best, the question is if he can string together 2 weeks.

Then you have Murray, Wawrinka, Del Potro, Cilic, Raonic, Anderson, who have only had physical questions to answer, not tennis ones (mental "injury" in Cilic's case). They could make a serious dent at the top if healthy as well, all capable of winning, and Anderson at worst at QF-level when on his game, since 2017.

The ever consistent QF-player Nishikori. And Dimitrov, who is to be respected at the QF-SF plateau as well when on his game.

Players like Kyrgios, Fognini, Tsonga, Berrettini, Edmund, Khachanov, Rublev are good enough to be a bother. Those and the Agut, Monfils, Schwartzman, Goffin, Pouille players, who could make QF's at their best if the field wasn't so strong.

And a load of other high potential single match players like Verdasco, Basilashvili, Struff, Querrey, Isner.
Gonna be fun!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's because

Gonna be fun!
Sinner as a potential 2020 Slam champion, i like it! (but got burned too often to stick my neck out that far..)

of course some of those things might not happen, i think Big3 staying healthy most of the season is about 50:50
i am quite positive about Thiem, Tsitsipas and Medvedev keeping it up, but slumps happen
and with the comeback players, at least some will get back in decent form!

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
There's a good chance that not only 2020 but next 2-3 years will be very exciting. Let's hope for a lot of epic matches.

·
The special one
13,482 Posts
2020 has big potential, no doubt about that. Just looking at the AO alone could be the strongest field we've had from top to bottom.

Top 8 speaks for itself.

8-16 seeds we've got guys like Kei, Shapovalov and Wawrinka.

16-24 seeds are guys like FAA, Dimitrov, Rublev, de minaur

24-32 seeds guys like Tsonga, Kyrgios, Raonic, Badilashvili

And then lots of dangerous unseeded guys like. Murray, delpo, Cilic, Struff, Opelka, Verdasco, Hurkacz, Sinner etc that can upset anyone outside the top 8.

This could potentially kick off a great year of tennis.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Although the Big 3 are still the favourites, they no longer intimidate the field. This is a major psychological difference as before, many of these matches were over before they began as the Rest believed their best would not be good enough. But now the others know that if they reach a peak level, the Big 3 will not automatically come up with something superior. I would possibly exclude Nadal somewhat from this however, as amazingly he still seems to have a physically indestructible aura around him.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I agree with OP, Budadiii and Bella&Mirka completely. I ran out of my depth to add anything of value.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
2020 will be the most exciting season since 2010, which itself was expected to be most exciting since 2000, but never delivered.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Upward trajectory of Medvedev, Thiem, Tsitsipas.. will it continue?
What about Zverev?

can Murray, Wawrinka, Del Potro, Dimitrov, Raonic, Nishikori, Cilic, Andersson, come back to their best?
No.

can Shapovalov, FAA, Sinner continue on their way up?
Sinner- yes, others-NO

or will it be Zverev's [email protected]#$ing time, finally?
[email protected]#$ing yeah!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I truly hope this is finally the year a youngster breaks through and actually takes a slam (ideally winning the final or at least semifinal against a big 3 player to avoid asterisks).

Not holding my breath though.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
First need to learn how to beat at least two of three big players, and then dream of more.
And to win Slam must wait another 3-5 years.

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
It could be exciting if Big 3 gets brought down and if we get a new slam winner or two. I agree about Med, Tsi and Thiem - but I don't foresee Dimitrov, Nishikori, Anderson etc doing anything at all.
Why do you mention Dimitrov, Nishikori and Anderson like they are the next best in line?

·
Your visions will happen
46,461 Posts
Should be a lot of fun. Could see the #1 and slam records both fall in 2020 as well as new slam champions

I'm not looking past ATP Cup which starts in 36 days

·
|
13,540 Posts
- Big3 healthy and competitive (we should be thankful and not take it for granted, as i pointed out in another thread.. they only played in the same tournament 3 times per year from 2016 – 2018). They might not be at their prime in terms of consistency, but they still set the bar level-wise.
And Rafa is definitely in his prime in terms of consistency, and has made the Semis of his last 7 slams. He'd never done that before.

·
Registered
15,120 Posts
It can be if Murphy/Tsitsipas wins AO, Thiem wins RG, Fed wins Wimbledon and Fed/Tsitsipas wins USO.

Dull and DJ going slamless in the same year is a prerequisite for a great year. It hasn't happened since 2004. Thats 15 years. Crazy!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Why do you mention Dimitrov, Nishikori and Anderson like they are the next best in line?
I just chose some of the ones OP mentioned. As for the others - Andy is a question mark due to the operation of course. Wawrinka might not ever peak again. Cilic will very likely not do anything. Del Potro should hope he won't have the year ruined by injuries again. Raonic was never really a contender. Shapo I don't rate too highly at the moment. FAA and Sinner I'm just not that familiar with. Zverev I've ignored for obvious reasons - freaking Lorenzi will win a slam sooner than that guy.

At the moment - IMO - the rational prediction is a Big 3 + New 3 kind of year; but is not very reliable either because Med and Tsi might just as likely fall of a cliff (would not be the first youngsters to do so).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts