Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most are/were born in 1980-1982 like Fed, Safin, Roddick, Hewitt, Nalbandian,Ferrer Etc or 1985-1987 like Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka, Tsonga , Berdych. There was not even a constant player born in those years, let alone an all time great, some I can remember are Verdasco, troicki, Ancic, etc

Why is that?

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Because God reserved 83-84 for truly intellingent people :unsure:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Soderling was born in 1984, so you can add him to the list.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Why is that?
I think that there is a point to be made . I think it's Natural, a great generation takes the bait from a previous aging generation, players "uplift" one another and outshines the upcomming who feels unwelcomed from the start, then overwhelmed and lastly hopeless . Same with Gen Useless 89-94 notable exception Thiem (93')

·
Registered
801 Posts
Incidentally, it's also true for 1993-1994, with Thiem and Pouille being the only players to reach Top 30 (!!!) in the rankings.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
On average, you have maybe two real top players (i.e. players winning slams or staying in the top 10 for an extended period) coming up per year. Just by randomness, you would then expect some years with zero, and some years with four to five. I therefore don't think that two weaker years in a row is very special, you will certainly find other examples for this. Whereas a full 5-6 years with only one top player as for Generation Useless is definitely unusual.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Good question. 1980-1989 is a very lop-sided decade with like 8 out of its 10 best players being born in the second half.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts