Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topspin, not slice.

Obviously the answer is none of them, but if forced to be a rightie with a one handed-backhand, whose would you pick to play against the Nadal forehand?

Bonus points for backing up your answer with analysis as to why the biomechanics/grip/technique of your chosen player's backhand make him more favourable against Nadz.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
absolutely wonderful question. i have no idea :)

if I absolutely have to choose one, I'd say Wawrinka on his day.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Youzhny and Blake have respectable H2Hs against Nadal.
Lopez has a couple of wins over him too.
Fed I'm sure has the most wins over Nadal for a one hander.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Can't be fucked with an analysis since I am posting with my phone, but, Drugsquet's BH would be my pick. Main reason being is that he doesn't seem to struggle with topspin

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Youzhny and Blake have respectable H2Hs against Nadal.
Lopez has a couple of wins over him too.
Fed I'm sure has the most wins over Nadal for a one hander.
:lol: I don't think that's primarily due to his BH.

oh, and Stan when on. Really could have picked up a win v Nadal by now, especially in the Miami/Toronto matches, head lets him down too often. He actually hasn't even won a set :p

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
I would pick Wawrinka's BH. He has a very strong wrist and can cause Nadal a world of problems (as seen in their matches). It's his mentality that has not allowed him to get closer if not score a victory against Nadull, even on clay. Similarly, Blake had a power OHBH so that's another reason he's done well.

Dimitrov did well against Nadal in 2009 in Rotterdam (although admittedly that was a small tournament) as he plays a similar type of backhand. Federer's backhand is very spinny sometimes and relies on timing which can be easily influenced by annoying spin and outside conditions.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Ljubicic by far is the best one I have seen against Nadal, height is the most important factor here.

Even great topspin backhands like Gasquet and Haas look avarage against Nadal.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I would pick Wawrinka's BH. He has a very strong wrist and can cause Nadal a world of problems (as seen in their matches). It's his mentality that has not allowed him to get closer if not score a victory against Nadull, even on clay. Similarly, Blake had a power OHBH so that's another reason he's done well.

Dimitrov did well against Nadal in 2009 in Rotterdam (although admittedly that was a small tournament) as he plays a similar type of backhand. Federer's backhand is very spinny sometimes and relies on timing which can be easily influenced by annoying spin and outside conditions.
Federer's backhand is great indoors against Nadal, I am sure he also would have no problem against Nadal in Rotterdam with low bounces and no wind or uneven bounces.

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
With Ljubicic's gone, maybe Almagro's. Almagro has the game to beat Nadal, even on clay, just can never quite do it

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
With Ljubicic's gone, maybe Almagro's. Almagro has the game to beat Nadal, even on clay, just can never quite do it
ALmagro is capable of generating pace from his backhand, he´d be a good pick, IMO. He can also whip it down the line really well, which is an advantage.

Nole plays a 1 handed backhand slice about 0.5% of the time.
Which is significantly more than the relevance of your post.

·
Your visions will happen
48,551 Posts
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez owned him in that Bangkok 10 match with that one hander.

Federer's indoors and on a quicker outdoor hardcourt. I've seen Kohlschreiber succeed BH to FH vs. Nadal for periods of time in their matches too.

Gaudio vs. Baby Rafa was very effective, and even in 2006, a past it Gaudio took a 7-5 set vs. 2006Rafa in Monte Carlo. Lost 1 and 1 the last two sets, but Rafa vs. Gaudio with both in prime form would be quite a spectacle.

Oh, and Almugro. He is one of the only Spaniards that really gives a battle to Nadal when they play. His one hander has given Nadal problems in many of their matches.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It would be interesting to see what Gasquet could do if he stepped in and took the ball earlier. His technique is really good, but if you play 3 metres behind the baseline against Nadal, it´s a losing battle no matter how well you hit the ball.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Federer's variety + Gasquet's topspin + Kohlsreiber's power

Yeah, seems about right. May have a chance against Nadal.
Sadly, this BH doesnt exist.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Federer's variety + Gasquet's topspin + Kohlsreiber's power

Yeah, seems about right. May have a chance against Nadal.
Sadly, this BH doesnt exist.
+Ljubicic's height+ Gaudio's consistency. Now we are talking...

1 - 20 of 87 Posts