Mens Tennis Forums banner

Whose legacy would be enhanced most with an AO win?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Federer? 18th and outright AO leader
Rafa? Double CGS
Novak?Outright AO leader
Murray? One step closer to CGS
Other?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Well, anyone who hasn't won one before is obviously going to have a big enhancement! But they shouldn't really be in any "legacy" discussions.

Murray for me is the obvious answer, he's not won it before and sets him up for the season. Aus for the rest of them is a been there, done that type thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Rafa? Double CGS
Novak?Outright AO leader
Murray? One step closer to CGS
Other?
Biased answer.. Rafa to win them all at least twice, is pretty special for a "clay courter"

Unbiased.. Fed, pull away with 18 and if rafa makes the semi then he would have to beat Murray, Rafa and djokovic in succession, even as the biggest fed hater ill admit he deserves this one if he can get through all of them.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Not Nadal's with this draw, especially as he will probably avoid Novak. It will just prove the atp rig things for him and that he is the number 1 vulture.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Rafa? Double CGS
Novak?Outright AO leader

By this order if it happens. Rafa would a double GrandSlam would be another stat Federer doesnt have and 15 getting close to 17.
Nole and becoming the outright leader.
Federer extanding to 18 and outright leadt but with Nole still in the hunt.

·
Registered
22,725 Posts
Kei, Milos, Dimitrov, Ferrer, Berdych.

Basically anyone who hasn't won one yet would get the biggest boost.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Probably less so for Novak than the other two, albeit one could also argue going from 7 to 8 slams (and winning a record 5th AO) is more enhancing than it is for the other two. But given where the other two are at in their careers, I think it would be more enhancing to their overall legacy when everything is said and done.

Given an Australian male hasn't won the AO in 4 decades, obviously their legacy would be enhanced the most. Chances of that happening at the 2015 AO are incredibly remote though.

·
Registered
16,199 Posts
If Fed wins then he becomes the only player in history to win atleast 5 slams at 3/4 slams. That's just mindboggling if you think about it.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Obviously Nishikori, because he goes from slamless to slam winner.

But Nadal out of the others, another non clay slam with only help his legacy.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Relatively speaking, it would be Federer.

·
Registered
17,862 Posts
Winning at least 5 times in 3 differents slam would be so huge, his 18 slam and the outright leader.

Second I think it would be Rafa at least 2 slam in each one really amazing.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Man, the reading comprehension on some of the people here is unreal.

Anyway, the answer is Djokovic.

The reason why is because it would give Djokovic a distinguishable achievement of importance in terms of tennis history. Having the most Majors at the AO would be the defining line on his career resume (to date).

Federer and Nadal both obviously each already have significant achievements that distinguish them from others in tennis history in unique ways, so therefore, it would not quite enhance their legacy to the same degree as it would for Djokovic.

Murray winning a third major, that's been done before.

·
Registered
16,199 Posts
For Fed -

10 HC slams, Atleast 5 at 3/4 slams, Most AOs at 5. Yup he takes the cake but the draw's screwed him sadly.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
hard to say anyone except Nadal. it's hard enough for most players to accomplish winning all of the slams (only a few have done so) but to have 2 or 2+ at each one is pretty rad

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Man, the reading comprehension on some of the people here is unreal.

Anyway, the answer is Djokovic.

The reason why is because it would give Djokovic a distinguishable achievement of importance in terms of tennis history. Having the most Majors at the AO would be the defining line on his career resume (to date).

Federer and Nadal both obviously each already have significant achievements that distinguish them from others in tennis history in unique ways, so therefore, it would not quite enhance their legacy to the same degree as it would for Djokovic.

Murray winning a third major, that's been done before.
I think you are over exaggerating what it would mean for Novak. when you have 2 players with only one less than you (Agassi and Roger) potentially, it's just not that incredibly impressive (i.e. it is something that is breakable in the future realistically record wise)

·
Registered
16,199 Posts
I think you are over exaggerating what it would mean for Novak. when you have 2 players with only one less than you (Agassi and Roger) potentially, it's just not that incredibly impressive (i.e. it is something that is breakable in the future realistically record wise)
Quite frankly who cares what it'll do for Novak? :lol: Ok he'll have the AO record and some may even call him the AO GOAT as if they don't do that now but he's not gonna be in the GOAT debate unless he wins like 12-13 slams with a RG. It'll just be a good start to his 2015 season,that's probably the most relevant thing. :lol:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nadal, as this would indicate that he's back and will win one or two more majors this year and possibly catch up to Federer.

·
Registered
736 Posts
You don't think its significant to be the all-time leader in majors at one of the four events?

OK.

As for being only one ahead of Fed at AO, lets be realistic, Federer probably wouldn't end his career matching Djokovics' # of slams at AO if Nole were to win it this yr.

Agassi probably wouldn't be able to catch Djokivic either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts