Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like in wta (russuan/serbian/american/hingis eras).

In 1990-1999 was the US era: Sampras, Agassi, Chang, Martin etc.

After the Anarchy (Hewitt-Guga-ARod) then was Fed-Era, but with Nadal we were see many spaniards (Spanish era).

Dont you think that there is now Serbian (Yugoslavian-ic) era.
Because except Djoko/Tipsa/Troicky there are many naturalized players: Raonic, Tomic, Matosevic.

And who is next?

Will it be asian army like in table tennis? (Chinese hegemony)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
? Who you mean?)

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Like in wta (russuan/serbian/american/hingis eras).

In 1990-1999 was the US era: Sampras, Agassi, Chang, Martin etc.

After the Anarchy (Hewitt-Guga-ARod) then was Fed-Era, but with Nadal we were see many spaniards (Spanish era).

Dont you think that there is now Serbian (Yugoslavian-ic) era.
Because except Djoko/Tipsa/Troicky there are many naturalized players: Raonic, Tomic, Matosevic.

And who is next?

Will it be asian army like in table tennis? (Chinese hegemony)
You need to include Safin in the Anarchy group ;)

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
for it to be an 'era' of players there has to be a lot of very good players from a certain geographic location or ethnic group. Djokovic is the only guy from your group who would really apply along with (MAYBE MAYBE??) tipsarevic which is doubtful because janko has done practically nothing on tour.

the next thing i would expect to see is probably a rise of asian players or a re-birth of American tennis

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
It is Nole's era right now.
A year isn't an era. This is the Big 4 era - they've won pretty much everything significant for the last 4+ years. The occasional Delpo or Davydenko grabs a slam or WTF but other than that it'd been mainly Fed, Rafa, Nole & Murray at the slams & Masters.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Money Era

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Um, if anyone else from the Balkans wins even a masters, we can call it something like that.
The most recent era was that of Federer 2004-2007. 2008 onwards probably shouldn't have a name yet, because each year was dominated by a either Nadal, Fed, or Djokovic. Nadal or Fed could make a comeback, Murray could step up- but if Djokovic wins another major or two this year it will start looking like his era.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
A year isn't an era. This is the Big 4 era - they've won pretty much everything significant for the last 4+ years. The occasional Delpo or Davydenko grabs a slam or WTF but other than that it'd been mainly Fed, Rafa, Nole & Murray at the slams & Masters.
TRUE!

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
ash, I couldn't disagree more. it's not a year. Novak has worked so hard for many years. you don't become a 5 GS winner by pure luck or anything. you may not like it but again who is the current #1. it took much more then a year to get there. :)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
It's a great Era with 3 aliens (Fed, Nadal, Joker), One stuck in between (Murray), few monsters (Del Potro, Berdych, Stronga) and a few that will be remembered (Davydenko, Soderling, Nalbandian)
Let's enjoy it while it lasts :worship:
Once the Aliens retire we will enter the NUB WTA BORING Era :sad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
An era if there is such lasts about four years.
Player at peak.
Thereafter decline & winning post peak.

Björn 76-79
JMac 81-84
Boris, Ivan, Mats & Stefan 85-92
Jim 91-93
Pete 94-97
Andre 94,95,98,99
Guga, Leyton, Marat 97-02
Roger 04-07
Rafa 08, 10, ?
Nole 11, ?

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
An era if there is such lasts about four years.
Player at peak.
Thereafter decline & winning post peak.

Björn 76-79
JMac 81-84
Boris, Ivan, Mats & Stefan 85-92
Jim 91-93
Pete 94-97
Andre 94,95,98,99
Guga, Leyton, Marat 97-02
Roger 04-07
Rafa 08, 10, ?
Nole 11, ?
not sure how you came up with 4 years but OK. Rafa was dominant in 2010 only when he won 3 slams. Edberg, who I truly love was a great champ but never really dominant. I agree about Borg and Ledl they were dominant at their time and yes they did create their own era. Sure Sampras and Fed are their too. Nole is in the process of creating his era. how far he'll get. don't know. we'll see.

as much as I love Guga, Safin and Hewitt I don't think they had their era. Although, they were able to win slams and being #1 they weren't too consistent. It took Safin what like 5 years from his first USO win to the AO win. Hewitt again to me was just a transitional champ in a way before Roger showed up.

so if I really have to define this 'era thing' I'll go something like this (since I started watching tennis)

Borg
Jmac
Lendl
Sampras
Fed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts