Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is your all-time fav American player?

• Jimmy Connors

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • John McEnroe

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Pete Sampras

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • Andre Agassi

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Michael Chang

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Andy Roddick

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • James Blake

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Jan-Michael Gambill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robby Ginepri

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other (Jim Courier, Mal Washington, Todd Martin, Taylor Dent, Justin Gimelstob, etc.)

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't old enough to really follow Mac and Connors during the height of their careers, but did intensely follow Connors' classic 1991 US Open run to the finals. I was really impressed with his intensity and conviction.

I might be the only board member who is a Courier fan to the heart. When all is said and done, however, I have to say that my favorite Amerian player of all-time is David Wheaton.
(You'll notice that he didn't make the poll :eek:)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Haha about Wheaton...

I vote Sampras 'cause he's more than my favorite American; he's just my favorite player EVER

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mrs_Guga said:
Haha about Wheaton...

I vote Sampras 'cause he's more than my favorite American; he's just my favorite player EVER
Really? I thought it was Guga. Although I guess Mrs. Guga sounds better than Mrs. Pete :eek:

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Aaron Krickstein. And I challenge anyone to come up with a better candidate.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Actually, while it may be plain old Roddick-bashing, Glenn does have a point. Should any of the young Americans be included in a poll of all-time favourite, considering that they're only at the beginning of their careers? I mean, if I were to champion Gambill as my favourite American I could rightfully be laughed at, but in a few years' time it may well be a different story (although it almost certainly won't, come to think of it, so I won't be bringing him up any time soon).

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Robby Ginepri? I mean wtf?
How come people like Ginepri, Blake & Gambill are in that poll when people like Courier, Martin & Washington aren't?
Anyways, i voted "other" for Dent & Martin.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nimi said:
Robby Ginepri? I mean wtf?
How come people like Ginepri, Blake & Gambill are in that poll when people like Courier, Martin & Washington aren't?
Originally, I wanted to give each of them their own slot, but since I was limited to 10 spaces, went with whom I thought would get the most votes.

To answer you, Glenn and Sjengster more specifically: if you are a 12-20 year-old poster, who would you vote for?

Anyways, i voted "other" for Dent & Martin.
Funny that you complain about GG&B, but vote for Dent.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Voted "other" for Courier and the Bryan Brothers.

:fiery: Justine Gimelstob :fiery:

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
So who did you vote for?
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of his commentating but I loved to watch Courier play. I especially cheered him on during his veteran years. I still remember that great 5-setter against "Their Timmy" in Wimbledon '99, when he lost 9-7 (?) in the 5th after having match points. That was during his great run at the All England Club of epic matches, including a 13-11 win over Sjeng Schalken in the 3rd round. He had to be hospitalized afterwards.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Ooops, quoted the wrong post of yours, TF. Whatever, you get the picture.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that was a great tournament. I also remember when a few months earlier he lost in the finals of Memphis to Haas, in Haas' first tournament win. Haas was really complimentary and said he was happy to have played "a former #1". Anyway, that's also when I became a Haas fan.

I like Jim's commentary, but never get to hear it since he's usually on cable. I wonder if he's going to commentate for RCA this year?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
evyatar said:
No Jeff Tarango ?? :p
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggh, no! Haha

TennisFool, Guga is my favorite player :) But Sampras is my favorite player ever... there's a difference but I haven't quite stumbled upon the best explanation yet. Also, Federer has been my favorite player for 3 years now. And Andy has moved up there too. I guess he's a part of it too. And I reeeeeeeaally like Lleyton. He's been up there for a while. :) So that's five, :)

I need to make a new avatar then

1 - 20 of 57 Posts