Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Baldy, Rosset, Tod Martin and Cherkasov (he's there somewhere too) all were born in 1970. Out of them, I think Agassi is the oldest.

Donald Johnson was born in 1968.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I think Gianluca Pozzi still plays some events. I saw him in qualifying for an Italian tournament. He would be over 35 now i think!

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
I thought Pozzi retired.
Agassi was born April, 1970
Rosset was born November 1970
Martin and Cherkasov were born in July 1970
Younes was born September 12, 1971
Pozzi was born in 1965 so he is nearly 40 now. I don't find any activity for him since 2000, but he might be playing the challengers/qualifiers etc.
Also, is Cherkasov still playing? I don't find any activity for him since 2000.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Clavet must take the prize. I did hear that he was retiring but he has a tournament in July 2003. He was born in 1968.

Haarhuis isn't active anymore. No activity for him even in Davis Cup since 2000.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Re: Re: Who's the oldest active player?

Well that can't be true, he's partnered Schalken in Davis Cup doubles at least twice that I know of - against France in both September 2001 and then again in February 2002, where they got revenge on Santoro and Pioline for the loss in the semis the previous year. Besides, he was right there beside Kafelnikov losing the RG doubles final just a couple of months ago.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
ITF tennis has his last DC play as 1999. I thought he had played doubles with Sjeng more recently than that. I always root for the Netherlands in DC play. I'll check the DC site.......... but you know, just playing doubles in DC doesn't really count as being an active player in my book.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
The DC site has him parterning Verkerk in Feb 2003 and Sjeng in February and September 2002. He played three matches with Sjeng in 2001 and two doubles matches in 2000. So much for ITF stats.. pffft!

(and btw the way oh goody! espn is showing the Roj/Andy match for the THIRD time)

·
Registered
26,225 Posts

star said:
Clavet must take the prize. I did hear that he was retiring but he has a tournament in July 2003. He was born in 1968.

Haarhuis isn't active anymore. No activity for him even in Davis Cup since 2000.
Except that he's been in the French Open doubles finals two years running with Kafelnikov (winning in '02).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Haarhuis indeed is the oldest probably, born in 1966 and still played Wimby and RG this year. After that it's Donald Johnson (1968) and Clavet.

Putting aside Doubles players, in the Singles I think it's Clavet - born October 1968 - who beat Hewitt in Miami this year.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Who does Johnson plays doubles with these days? I haven't seen him and Parmar together anymore. And they used to be a big-deal dubs team, winning Wimbledon in 2001.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Who's the oldest active player?

Leo said:
Except that he's been in the French Open doubles finals two years running with Kafelnikov (winning in '02).

Yeah..... sorry. I was only looking at singles results.

·
Registered
596 Posts

Leo said:
Who does Johnson plays doubles with these days? I haven't seen him and Parmar together anymore. And they used to be a big-deal dubs team, winning Wimbledon in 2001.
This year he played a bit with Parmer. He reached Hertogenbosch finals with Paes and Monte Carlo semis with Ullyett

1 - 15 of 15 Posts