Mens Tennis Forums banner

who is the biggest chocker?

• gasquet

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • troicki

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • PHM

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • coria (not on tour anymore, but still deserved to be mentionned)

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • verdasco

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • tipsaveric

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have talked quite a few times about players choking and I would like to know who you think is the biggest choker.

I think it's Ferrero. He had so many chances to beat Hewitt in TMC, but he didn't. I also think he choked against Ferreira. Wasting those setpoints and losing the set. After that he was just lost. All credit to his opponents, but I still believe Ferrero could have won.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I love Juanqui and all....
But I think It's Juan Carlos too. It saddens me to see him choke like that. But I'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I remember some good choking from Rusedski.. Also from Todd Martin. Never remember Sampras choking. But remember Rafter and Krajicek choking against Sampras..

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Actually, I think that the biggest chokers are the young guns (except for the Potato).

When I hear the word choker, the names that immediately spring to mind are:
Safin :fiery:
Juanqui :mad:
Federer :mad:

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Well thanks. This is just what we need for the day. Maybe just change the title to Juan Carlos is a choker just to save all of us to have to type it in. And I thought I've spreaded enough negativity for the day. But, go on, he probably deserves it.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Don't get mad Vera. I don't think it was a direct attack on Juanqui. Besides, Ilhame must still be sad because Marat has withdrawn :p.

And I forgot to add that the 3 above are the players that I really really like which makes it even worse for me.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i truly do not believe that Juan Carlos is a choker. that is such an unfair misrepresentation of his game.

the biggest choke i ever saw was Andre at RG the year Clinton attended. after the crowd gave Clinton a standing ovation, Andre could not find his way back into a game that he was on track to winning. now that was choking big time.

i also think Correjta choked at RG when he actually started betaing Guga in the final and couldn't handle uit and eventually lost the game. he also had a famous choke against the Android at the US when he double-faulted on match-point.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Juan Carlos is just the flavor of the month right now, cause the wounds are too fresh (lost in Sydney, lost here).

Whoever loses the AO final is probably going to be everybody's next fave :D And I agree with TC -- Agassihole at the French was downright ridiculous (guess we can see who doesn't like *not* being the center of attention . . .)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I want to say Roddick, but I can't think of him ever choked, he has to have a big lead to choke, right? He usually just loses it in the get-go on a bad-serving day:p. Couldn't resist, but I'm not trying to turn this into a basher thread. So appologize.

I can think of Grosjean. That match point on the third set in Oz Open and ended up losing to Clement not a big choke or what. And Moya against Martin in that US Open. Moya has the match in hand and I can't figure out how he could lose it in 5.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Listen - Ferrero has his moments where he tightens up - MOST players do. Yes, there are exceptions, but you might notice those are the players who usually have extraordinary careers.

Overall, how can one look past Federer? Ferrero over Federer? Are you people for real?

IMO Federer is more talented than Ferrero, and has had a fraction of the success.

Ferrero has won two masters series, made another final, made the finals of a slam, won 7 titles altogether and was in 7 finals (his finals record does leave something to be desired, admittedly).

What has Federer done?

Give his talent, there is no reason that Federer has a worse slam record than Andy Roddick and David Nalbandian.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Should we give Gaudio a nod too?

That loss against Kafelnikov in David Cup was even painful to watch on the scoreboard.

Not to mention his loss to Ferrero at Roland Garros, where he got up 2-0 in the fifth, then forgot where the lines were.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i wouldn't put Gaudio down as a choker to be honest. he just had no energy left after his previous (exhausting) game. Gaudio needs to improve his fitness. he has a history of cramping as well.

a better example of choking is Rafter against the Android at Wimby, where he had like three set points or something ridiculous like that to go up two sets to none, and he lost all three points and let the Android back into the game. and Pete went on to win his 13th. not THAT is choking.

also Tim Henman. the Farmer is such a major choker that i actually used to call him Choking Boy. he's the only player i ever gave that honor...;) ;)

but i still don't understand how folks can describe Sushi as a choker. maybe we are using the same word but meaning completely different things. fist of all, not eveyone who loses a match chokes! players lose for all kinds of reasons.

Pat and Cliff described Sushi as experiencing a "major mental meltdown" against Ferreira. i agree. that is how i have always described what happens to him. he melts down both physically and mentally. that is not the same as choking. IMO, he got so damn angry at losing that second set that he was never able to get back on track. he was also quite flat-footed thruout the match bec he had little energy left after his previous matches. Sushi tries to hit the ball hard all the time, on every flipping shot. there is no variation, no change of pace, nothing. just blast, blast, blast. and then he runs out of energy. compound that with his clear mental frustraton and next thing you know, the fat lady was singing.

contrast this with Ferreira who paced himself, often just sliced the ball back, just kept it in play, just developed a groove, until he decided to let loose in the third set knowing that it would be the last so he could afford to use up his energy resources. Agassi is the master of this. that's how you play in a Grand Slam. IMO, Sushi still doesn't get this.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I say Ferrero. And yeah, Rogi's a nutcase. But he doesn't choke in matches. Like, he usually loses in a first/second round pathetically. Ferrero is more likely to get far, have a good chance and throw it away, and Sydney was a good example. I acutally thought he was gonna go semis on us or something, but he is so fickle.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Henman doesnt have class to choke
everyone(apart from the British Media) expects him to lose :D

Roger/Ferrero are turning into headcases
there's too many headcases around now :(

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Well, as Tennishack put it - Ferrero seems to be flavour of the month right now.

The biggest chokers in the game, do not get into the top 5, do not contend for big titles, etc.

That includes Federer too - there are clearly better examples than these two.

They are just easy to pick on because they are top players.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts