Votes: 78 54.5%
  • Ego Prince

Votes: 65 45.5%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the Nadal-Tsonga match, Patrick McEnroe said Tsonga plays like Djokovic but with more variety. He then said Novak was quicker. Who do you think is the more talented player?

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
I don't know who is more talented but Baby Ali looks like a player with more skills in his repertoire of strokes. Tennis is a matter of consistence. IMO Rios has the same skills what Arazi but one of them was No. 1 in the world and the other "only" 22nd.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Basically, Novak facing Nadal (and needing a quick win) would've had to do exactly what Jo had done - to bank profusely on Rafa stubbornly staying well behind the baseline and expose him to a downpour of drop volleys ("Waiting for an unforced? Watch this."). It still remains to be seen if Nole has further improved his net game, but IMHO, nothing Tsonga did to Nadal isn't beyond Nole's abilities.

As for the tactics/intelligence/toughness, I'd give a slight edge to Nole (if only because my data pool on him is larger).

I really hope Tsonga will keep going on like this, since so far he appears to be the only youngster who could give Novak some food for thought in the months to come - and of course, their clashes should be very interesting to follow.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I think Tsonga is more talented, but talent doesnt always translate to consistent good results. Nole has better mental strength and consistency.

·
Registered
17,533 Posts
I think Tsonga is the more talented player, but that doesn't necessarily translate to results.
Tsonga does have a more powerful serve, more variety in his game and is a much superior volleyer. His first title is coming soon enough, but I don't think it will be here.
Still, an outstanding run by him and he absolutely destroyed Nadal. I don't think I've ever seen Nadal beaten so resoundly.(I didn't see the Nalbandian matches last fall)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think Djokovic is more talented than Tsonga. But I'm confused by the poll? Why did you list Federer & Tsonga? It doesn't fit with the thread topic.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Tsonga is undeniably talented. He tends to play on instinct, he's fearless going for his shots, and he's been impressive building on the momentum of his matches in this AO. Thus far he has not caved under pressure but then again, he hasn't really needed to as his opponents appear not to have been fully prepared for his onslaught - next time, they'll be ready. One of Tsonga's weaknesses last year was his inability to switch to a game plan 'B' whenever he was in tight situations and fell behind. This year, it will be interesting to see if he can sustain his level more consistently - I certainly hope so.

Djokovic of course has the talent, plus he's a consistently strategic player. So, at this point in time, I would favour him as a more complete player than Tsonga.

Still, Tsonga has my enthusiastic support every time.

Reactions: *julie*

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Djokovic.

They both have 0 slams, but he has beaten Federer. :angel:

·
MTF. Never changes!
10,054 Posts
What came first, the chicken or the egg? [Actually, isn't that a thread on MTF?]

Had the poll options been labelled appropriately, I may have voted differently. Having only seen a couple of matches of Tsonga, and only noticing him this year, I can't be sure. I'll come back to this when their careers are over :yeah:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts