Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who's more talented player Murray or Novak?

• Murray

Votes: 103 41.9%
  • Novak

Votes: 119 48.4%
  • They're both equally talented

Votes: 24 9.8%
1 - 20 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, to me raw talent is secondary. It's all about mental toughness and ability to compete when you're not playing well. Of course you have to have talent too, but most top 20 players are talented. There are so many talented players who can't get to top 10 (some even top 20), but I was just curious what other people think about Murray-Novak talent.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you're asking who is the most talented player then I would say Murray, but as you are talking about mentality and winning ugly etc in your accompanying post, it sounds as if youare really asking who is the better/most complete player at the moment - I would then say Djokovic.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're asking who is the most talented player then I would say Murray, but as you are talking about mentality and winning ugly etc in your accompanying post, it sounds as if youare really asking who is the better/most complete player at the moment - I would then say Djokovic.
I'm still 50-50 on Novak-Murray talent. I don't think that there's anything Andy can do that Novak can't and vice versa.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Murray's game is more unique than Novak's. So in that case Murray prob has more potential than Nole, and I do think if he stays healthy he will eventually end up having the better career.

Both will hopefully have great careers :hearts:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for real? You don't think there is anything in the Murray repertoire that Djoko doesn't have?
not anything significant, can you? Both have good forehands/backhands. Both have good serve, and both are great movers on court. Plus both have exceptional return of serve. From the baseline they both look very solid too, and BOTH use dropshots in excess at times.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Talent, schmallent. Djokovic has reached the final at the USO and the semis at the French and Wimbledon, Murray has yet to surpass a Grand Slam fourth round.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
not anything significant, can you? Both have good forehands/backhands. Both have good serve, and both are great movers on court. Plus both have exceptional return of serve. From the baseline they both look very solid too, and BOTH use dropshots in excess at times.
At the exception that Djokovic's backhand is "only" good whereas Murray's backhand is exceptionnal.....:eek:

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At the exception that Djokovic's backhand is "only" good whereas Murray's backhand is exceptionnal.....:eek:
you really think so? Well, I don't but that's just an opinion. I don't think eather have EXCEPTIONAL back hand. Gasquet on the other hand...

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
it doesn't really matter until Murray actually does something worthwhile on the court, and gets his head straight. Then perhaps the question will have relevance.

Djoker by a landslide at the moment

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,508 Posts
In terms of raw talent then I give it to Murray without a doubt.

In terms of understanding how to play and win matches, Djokovic is clearly better at this point.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
guys what's with bringing results into this thread. i think clearly, this poll is based only on talent. it's like comparing davydenko with safin. if i made a poll based on talent, i think most would agree that safin's the one with more talent, but doesn't mean this year safin had the better one. and with 'youngters' like murray and djoko' situtation this could be like the early days of hewitt and federer. hewitt making the earlier break. but i think even back then, people might have thought federer was the one with more talent.

so results don't necessarily mean talent. i think it's common sense.

and in answer to the poll, i think murray is the one to vote for.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Absolutely, I do. Nole is stronger physically, certainly. And when it comes to sports, one cannot discount the edge that often gives. But strength isn't talent.

First of all, Djokovic's net game is an outright liability. Its getting marginally better, but its still awful. And I don't think you can count out point construction. Oh, and don't forget variety.

Just my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Like everybody said Murray is more talented you just need to watch his match against Chela to see that but Djoko is by far the better player at the moment

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I'm still 50-50 on Novak-Murray talent. I don't think that there's anything Andy can do that Novak can't and vice versa.
You are confusing talent and skill/proficiency.

Skill is the ability to perform something; talent is something that helps you acquire that skill. So talent is 'meta-ability' - ability to gain ability. If someone practices a lot, though, he can outperform someone who is talented but doesn't work on it enough. Just consider Nalbandian for example. :sad:

1 - 20 of 379 Posts