Mens Tennis Forums banner

More talented?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two cleanest ballstrikers in the game at the moment, who has the edge talent-wise?

For me, clearly Nishikori, but what say you?

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nishikori. 3-1 and makes Berdych unsteady on BH and moves him around. Power nullified...

You're just analysing their matchup against each other; this argument would make players like Wawrinka or Gasquet more talented than Kei though, which would obviously be nonsensical.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,655 Posts
You're just analysing their matchup against each other; this argument would make players like Wawrinka or Gasquet more talented than Kei though, which would obviously be nonsensical.
Ok then. Let's say how they approach the big 4...Nadal lose 17 in a row, Djokovic winning 2 games in Beijing. Bagelled by Federer at IW. Murray straightfoward losses and meltdown.
His game is just not very flexible and becomes predictable.

·
Registered
8,030 Posts
Nishikori, since Birdy's only advantage is the superior firepower, especially on serve. Reason for that is his height advantage.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok then. Let's say how they approach the big 4...Nadal lose 17 in a row, Djokovic winning 2 games in Beijing. Bagelled by Federer at IW. Murray straightfoward losses and meltdown.
His game is just not very flexible and becomes predictable.
This also doesn't help Nishikori, since Berdych has had way more success vs those players than Kei so far.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Berdych hands down. No contest, like in many other cases.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,655 Posts
This also doesn't help Nishikori, since Berdych has had way more success vs those players than Kei so far.
Alright I'll do it this way:

Movement/footwork: Nishikori
Serve: Berdych (but inconsistent at times)
Return: Nishikori
Defense: Nishikori
Touch/volley: Nishikori
Innovation/court-sense: Nishikori
FH: Berdych (power wise), flexibility to redirect shots and end range ability: Nishikori
BH: Nishikori
Slice: even, Nishikori slight edge
Reflexiveness: Nishikori
Clutchness/Mental strength: Nishikori

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Berdych is a very exceptional player. He has a beautiful effortless natural technique but his shotmaking abilities don't impress me unlike Kei.
That's why i would chose Nishikori here.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Nishikori looks more of a natural. Berdych's game looks robotic to me, but he's still a great player.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
That's only because he's been around forever, with his talent and consistency he was bound to score some victories once in a while against the big 4. He's 18-56 lifetime against those guys with their primes matching up pretty much throughout their careers. Nishikori is 5-14 having lost most of his matches against them before he became a top player. Easy answer is Nishikori. And if you were to look at their h2h against players of similar caliber (Nishikori/berdych/raonic/soderling/ferrer/tsonga), Berdych's record stands at 18-22 whereas Nishikori has a fantastic 23-10 record against those guys. Let's say you can include Nishikori's kryptonite there, Gasquet its still 23-28 versus 23-15. Not even close.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
easily kei

·
Banned
237 Posts
Gentlesir Berdych.

Key cannot even compete with post-prime Fedal. Joke of a player. Ugly attitude too. No gentleman.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Berdych is basically just a big, strong, bland, power-hitter. There is nothing particularly special about him... except maybe his ability to avoid injuries and stay fit.

·
Banned
237 Posts
Berdych is basically just a big, strong, bland, power-hitter. There is nothing particularly special about him... except maybe his ability to avoid injuries and stay fit.
What makes him exceptional is the way he generates power - he has textbook technique, very clean, effortless-looking shots. That pleases the eyes of true tennis fans, but one cannot expect to find those in Murphy's or Divakovic's camps.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
What makes him exceptional is the way he generates power - he has textbook technique, very clean, effortless-looking shots. That pleases the eyes of true tennis fans, but one cannot expect to find those in Murphy's or Divakovic's camps.
6'5 200lbs guy can hit a tennis ball hard, amazing stuff.

Yep. The names in your sig definitely scream 'true tennis fan' to me :lol:.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts