Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who's gonna end Nadal's Roland Garros winning streak?

• Roger Federer

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • Nikolay Davydenko

Votes: 21 14.4%
  • Novak Djokovic

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • David Ferrer

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • David Nalbandian

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • Richard Gasquet

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Nicolas Almagro

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Guillermo Canas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leyton Hewitt

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 23 15.8%
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is something I've been discussing with elessar and we couldn't come up with an answer, so I thought it's best to have a poll.

Reactions: The Oracle

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Roddick, Isner, Karlovic, Ginepri or Fish.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
This is something I've been discussing with another elessar and we couldn't come up with an answer so I thought it's best to have a poll.
I really have no idea who could stop it at RG.

As for his best of 5 matches winning streak, the only thing I could see happening would be a Nalby-Nadal DC match in BA because and only because the crowd could get to Nadal and the Argies always play above themselves there. But Argentina chosing to play on clay against Spain would be...surprising at the very least.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Realistically I feel the only significant threats are Davydenko and Nalbandian. I put them as more of threats than Federer. Whether or not Dave or Nik can make the next step and beat Nadal at RG, and over 5 sets is a question that needs to be answered. For one the five set factor would play a huge influence, and I also feel questions need to be answered for Davydenko and Nalbandian at the major events against the very best. I just hope Nik or Nalbandian don't get drawn in Roger's part of the draw again, as I'm eagerly anticipating a Nalbandian or Davydenko Vs. Nadal match.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Fed, but not soon though. I don't see (and never hope to see) anyone winning RG other than Nadal.

·
124,506 Posts
Gasquet and Canas would only win by retirement.

Ferrer has better chances on a hardcourt.

Almagro has the weapons, but not the tactics.

Nalbandian is vulnerable to other players on clay and is more than likely to be on the other side of the draw than Nadal.

Hewitt only on faster surfaces, therefore no.

Djokovic depends on the fitness in relation to how long he takes to win matches, has the self belief, never done it on clay.

Davydenko : Now a bandwagon choice, if he was to stop him, it would have to be in 3 sets.

Federer : never plays well against Nadal at RG.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Gasquet and Canas would only win by retirement.

Ferrer has better chances on a hardcourt.

Almagro has the weapons, but not the tactics.

Nalbandian is vulnerable to other players on clay and is more than likely to be on the other side of the draw than Nadal.

Hewitt only on faster surfaces, therefore no.

Djokovic depends on the fitness in relation to how long he takes to win matches, has the self belief, never done it on clay.

Davydenko : Now a bandwagon choice, if he was to stop him, it would have to be in 3 sets.

Federer : never plays well against Nadal at RG.
Fairly short and concise answers, but I agree with your analysis. My major concern with Davydenko is the 5 set factor, and Nalbandian is also quite flaky against other players as you touch upon. He will also probably get drawn in Federer's half.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Fairly short and concise answers, but I agree with your analysis. My major concern with Davydenko is the 5 set factor, and Nalbandian is also quite flaky against other players as you touch upon. He will also probably get drawn in Federer's half.
uh...why ? :scratch:

·
124,506 Posts
Davydenko showed what he can do against Nadal in Rome. Problem is in this place, everyone wants to a prophet, when it comes to this sort of thing.

Like this Nadal thing, people forget he'd have played RG 03 and 04, if it weren't for injuries.

Only tough matches Nadal has had at RG were Puerta and Mathieu ( we know Paulo isn't winning that).

No need for too much detail when given the choices.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Davydenko showed what he can do against Nadal in Rome. Problem is in this place, everyone wants to a prophet, when it comes to this sort of thing.

Like this Nadal thing, people forget he'd have played RG 03 and 04, if it weren't for injuries.

Only tough matches Nadal has had at RG were Puerta and Mathieu ( we know Paulo isn't winning that).

No need for too much detail when given the choices.
Indeed, the Puerta match was a very tough contest. I would like to watch that match again, I noticed there is a match download thread in here so I will pay a visit and see if I can salvage a copy. If only we had gotten to see Puerta without him doping, it would have been interesting to observe his play.

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
I would give Djokovic and Nalbandian the best chances. Davydenko can do it, too, but his game is more dangerorus for Nadal on other surfaces than I would rate the game of the other two. Nalbandian is naturally a high risk to hope for him to beat any top player as long as you don't know what approach he's taking into the match.

·
124,506 Posts
Indeed, the Puerta match was a very tough contest. I would like to watch that match again, I noticed there is a match download thread in here so I will pay a visit and see if I can salvage a copy. If only we had gotten to see Puerta without him doping, it would have been interesting to observe his play.
The drugs don't help him the ball any better.

·
Banned
42 Posts
The drugs don't help him the ball any better.
Much of Puerta's play was based around his brute strength and remarkable conditioning. He is the closest specimen I have seen to Nadal. That is why he gave Nadal such a tough time I feel. You are right that ball striking will have little effect from drug consumption, but I'm sure it would have made some improvements to many of the attributes Puerta was renowned for.

·
Registered
34,672 Posts
And if Nalbandian gets to play against Nadal he will for sure defeat him the only problem is, Nalbandian has to win early rounds :lol:

1 - 20 of 151 Posts