Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who would have the better chance vs Nadal?

• Zverev

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Tsitsipas

Votes: 59 72.8%
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
It's a good question (for a change! here ...) and I have thought about it. I think tsitsi, especially watching him play today, he is more complete than AZ on clay, steadier mentally at this point.
The only edge AZ would have is fi he is serving huge that particular day.
I will say TSitsi.
I'm trying to remember how easily, or not, Rafa took him in Barc.
Feel free to refresh my memory ....

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I think Tstsipas, but I think either way it’s a good match. Really looking forward to the semi lineup if it fills in as expected.

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
Zverev because 2HBH and bigger serve when on.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I actually think Djoker will beat Nadal in the semis if they both get there. If it was in the final then Djoker would have no chance.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
It's a very good question.

Of course, everybody will lose. But I think Zverev is the bigger danger. He can handle Nadals topspin better, can take the ball higher and do more damage.

The problem is that Zverev is a ticking mental time bomb, and against Nadal, you are mentally bullied all the time. So the double faults will undo him. And if he plays like in the last Slam final the result will be 1-6 1-6 1-6.

Tsitsipas on the other hand seems clutch as fuck here. But his backhand will get destroyed by Nadal....

Reactions: Vukitanski

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Zverev... for various reasons.

1.Ability to match Nadal in crosscourt exchanges and crunch the backhand hard and deep
2.When his serve is clicking 1st and 2nd he can crush both and win a stack of points which Nadal doesn't like.For Stef it isn't as luxurious at times.
3.Has played in a slam final.Granted,he wilted but Stef has been 'Semipas' on numerous occasions and the prospect of a slam final might weigh more on his shoulders.That novelty is done and dusted with Sascha.He wants to atone from New York.
4.Stef's victories over Nadal have all been pushed to a decider whilst Zverev has shown on various surface he can get the job done in straights and close out Nadal quick.Yes,it the French Open and you can throw that garbage out with Nadal's mammoth record but Sascha he can push him if he front runsfrom the very start,bags an early break and keeps holding serve to pile pressure on Nadal.
5.Very importantly Sascha has a much better return of serve than Stef which will make Nadal much more tentative on serve as Stef too often goes missing in a heck of alot of return games and doesn't press at all.Too many free points which puts even more massive pressure on Stef to hold every service game to have any chance of staying in set.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Both are dangerous for Rafa. But Rafa has first to beat Schwartzmann. Maybe then we have the expected semifinal clash between him and Djokovic. A lot of you guys think this would the real final. I don't think so. The winner of a potential semifinal between Nadal and Djokovic will have a tough final against Zverev or Tsitsipas, even more when the play a long grueling semifinal.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Assuming Rafa makes the final, would Zverev or Tsitsipas have the better chance?
I am not including Medvedev in the poll as this would be NID in my opinion.
Tsitsipas is considered the stronger claycourt player and this is reflected in the betting odds.
However, Rafa's bread and butter shot is the FH cross court. A 6'6 player with such a strong backhand as Zverev is not the ideal person to play this shot to. This is reflected in the H2H - Zverev had won 3 in a row against Rafa prior to Rome, including one on clay. The match before that (in 2018) was another clay match which went to three sets, and Zverev is stronger now.

The only FO match Nadal has lost in his entire career, when not completely out of form, was the famous match against Soderling.
Rafa would still be a strong favourite against anyone but if Novak were able to take him to five long sets in the (likely) semi, I don't think beating Zverev in the final would be NID.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Zverev... for various reasons.

1.Ability to match Nadal in crosscourt exchanges and crunch the backhand hard and deep
2.When his serve is clicking 1st and 2nd he can crush both and win a stack of points which Nadal doesn't like.For Stef it isn't as luxurious at times.
3.Has played in a slam final.Granted,he wilted but Stef has been 'Semipas' on numerous occasions and the prospect of a slam final might weigh more on his shoulders.That novelty is done and dusted with Sascha.He wants to atone from New York.
4.Stef's victories over Nadal have all been pushed to a decider whilst Zverev has shown on various surface he can get the job done in straights and close out Nadal quick.Yes,it the French Open and you can throw that garbage out with Nadal's mammoth record but Sascha he can push him if he front runsfrom the very start,bags an early break and keeps holding serve to pile pressure on Nadal.
5.Very importantly Sascha has a much better return of serve than Stef which will make Nadal much more tentative on serve as Stef too often goes missing in a heck of alot of return games and doesn't press at all.Too many free points which puts even more massive pressure on Stef to hold every service game to have any chance of staying in set.
Tsitsi has already passed the ROS test vs Isner & Meddy who r better servers than Nadal & on a surface where the serve is more neutral than on the others anyway. Assuming final is Nadal/Tsitsi, the key will b for Tsitsi to minimize his BH by going around it as much as possible & quickening tempo on his service games in order to dictate points cutting angles the way Novak used to in his Clay prime.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Tsitsi has already passed the ROS test vs Isner & Meddy who r better servers than Nadal & on a surface where the serve is more neutral than on the others anyway. Assuming final is Nadal/Tsitsi, the key will b for Tsitsi to minimize his BH by going around it as much as possible & quickening tempo on his service games in order to dictate points cutting angles the way Novak used to in his Clay prime.
I saw how Nadal dismantled Wawrinka in the French Open final all those years ago and that's where I think Zverev has a leg up with his double hander over Stef.When Nadal uses that annoying serve out wide on the ad-court time & time again I've seen Zverev do a much better job of cutting it off and sending it back to the middle with interest.Stef frequently sprays them like Fed.

All that coming around the backhand to hit the forehand is a god damn exhausting & daunting prospect against Nadal in a best of 5 match.He'll have more time to wear him down and then the errors flow thick and fast.I still favour Zverev because he hits a heavier ball unlike Stef's which can sit up and allow Rafa to pile on more RPM's on his returns back.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
OK, didn't mean he has to run around BH all the time, but when convenient, just like w/ timely DS'g when Nadal has been moved far back.
Fully agree that he must minimize short sitters which was a problem in second set vs Medved, & must redline as much as possible ala Soderling in their 2009 match.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Assuming they are playing well Zverev has a better chance against Nadal mainly because of his ability to deal better with that dreaded wide serve in the add court and also his double handed backhand, if on, is more reliable and dangerous than Tsitsipas single handed backhand.

·
Registered
69 Posts
yep, I checked the scoreline
tsitsi makes me nervous frankly.
I wouldn't be that concerned about Tsitsi if I were you.

Judging by the overwhelming historical evidence, Rafa always handles his opponents from the lead up clay tournaments significantly better at RG. And as good as Stefs current form is, there is one thing that bothers me about him. He seems to carry this extremely high level of tension inside of him, which is naturally not a bad thing per se, but in big matches/tounaments it can be dangerously close to the breaking point. You could totally sense it last night against Med. And if there is one guy who can take him over the edge it's Rafa.
To close to the verge of implosion/collapse for my taste he is....

Zverev otoh, is a completely different animal. Apart from certain match-up advantages he might hold over Tsits vs. Nadal, I trust he would enter a potenital final as something of a carefree fool, which could lead to him playing surprisingly well at least for stretches of the match. Of couse if he actually miraculously manages to play up a lead vs. Rafa he will most probably then collaps back again into Mugrev like he did against Thiem at USO.

So if the question is who will make it more exciting/competitive, my gut says Zverev. But when it comes to winning, I don't think the NextGen can come through. Only scenario is if something dramatic and insanely exhausting happens in the Djokodal SF and the victor of this match comes into the final physically/emotionally compromised.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Djokovic is more dangerous for RAFA than any of those two. But between them, I would have to say Thugrev. Way more difficult matchup.

·
|
16,185 Posts
It was a closely contested fight in Barcelona.
It was, but Nadal had championship points at 64 54, and that's what I expect will happen at Roland Garros, Nadal will have a good chance to win in straight sets even if Tsitsipas plays his best tennis.
RG is bouncier and the court is bigger, making it harder for Tsitsipas than at Rome.
Not to mention the pressure of the occasion which Nadal loves and his opponents generally hate.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts