Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who would have the better chance vs Nadal?

• Zverev

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Tsitsipas

Votes: 59 72.8%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming Rafa makes the final, would Zverev or Tsitsipas have the better chance?
I am not including Medvedev in the poll as this would be NID in my opinion.
Tsitsipas is considered the stronger claycourt player and this is reflected in the betting odds.
However, Rafa's bread and butter shot is the FH cross court. A 6'6 player with such a strong backhand as Zverev is not the ideal person to play this shot to. This is reflected in the H2H - Zverev had won 3 in a row against Rafa prior to Rome, including one on clay. The match before that (in 2018) was another clay match which went to three sets, and Zverev is stronger now.

The only FO match Nadal has lost in his entire career, when not completely out of form, was the famous match against Soderling.
Rafa would still be a strong favourite against anyone but if Novak were able to take him to five long sets in the (likely) semi, I don't think beating Zverev in the final would be NID.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I think Tsitsipas is more probable to keep his composure when needed and that would be the most important in a potential final against Nadal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I voted Zverev. But I think that a.) nobody will defeat Nadal this year in RG and b.) Tsitsipas would actually be the favourite in a matchuo against Zverev.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I watched the very close Barcelona final and Nadal was getting a lot of points with Stef having to defend his BH, or run round it. He is 6'4 so better placed than some single handers in the past to defend it but you would still like Zverev more in some of these rallies.
However, Tsitsipas has a better forehand and more overall clay skill/ know how.
If you are saying Tsitsipas then what about the H2H with Zverev since 2019 which is 3-1 for Zverev?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I voted Zverev. But I think that a.) nobody will defeat Nadal this year in RG and b.) Tsitsipas would actually be the favourite in a matchuo against Zverev.
I agree, Tsitsipas would be the favourite in a semi against Zverev, so it might be academic.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
As said before, Zverev (if he's on a good day).
Even if Tsitsipas plays well, I feel that Zverev's gaming style might match Rafa's better. He plays deep and consistant and seems less bothered by heavy spin

·
WOAT Predictor
588 Posts
Today's match proved that Tsitsipas will give a better challenge to Nadal! Lets see what Zverev comes up with in the semi

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
While Tsisipas has been more consistant these last 10 days. Sasha carries always a doubt. Who is coming to play. Is he ready or is it his time.?
While Rafa is not in his prime. And getting older and a bit slower. He instinct are there better then ever.
You can beat him in Mc. You can beat him in Barça. You can beat him in Madrid. You may even beat him in Rome.
But here in RG on PC B05?. That is something these guys aren ready to do it.
Not saying it cant happen. Just not likely. Thiem last 3 years was the 2nd best claycourter outthere and he only took 1 set.

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
I watched the very close Barcelona final and Nadal was getting a lot of points with Stef having to defend his BH, or run round it. He is 6'4 so better placed than some single handers in the past to defend it but you would still like Zverev more in some of these rallies.
However, Tsitsipas has a better forehand and more overall clay skill/ know how.
If you are saying Tsitsipas then what about the H2H with Zverev since 2019 which is 3-1 for Zverev?
but tsitsi's H2hH with Zverev tells you nothing about how either them stack up against Nadal.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts