Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the sheer dominance Federer had between 2004 and 2008, quite a few players were prevented from winning big titles. If it were not for Federer, who do you think would have had a much better career? I would say Andy Roddick, whose H2H records against Federer were so one-sided in favor of Federer. He lost many GS finals against Federer, so without Federer's invincible existance, Roddick would definitely have won much more than one major title, which he had won before Federer came into bloom. What do you think? Another player I can think of is Marat Safin, who also ended his career underachieved because of the presense of Federer, though he had a couple of wins over the Swiss at major tournaments. What do you think?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about Hewitt? I was completely forgetting about him. He also lost many matches to Federer and considering he was the previous No. 1, he may of been the one affected the most by the emergence of Federer.

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Roddick and Wawrinka. The amount of time Rednosedrinka felt the urge to bend over to him, we would have been spared of all that.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
On a related note, Rafa would have won 4 wimbledons (Wimbledon'06 and Wimbledon'07) instead of 2, and that would have meant winning slams 4 slams on each of 3 different surfaces.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Take away any of the Big 3 and the other two surely benefit (at least, in terms of big titles won).

Others that Fed put a particular hurting on in big matches: Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, Wawrinka, Davydenko.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Roddick and Hewitt would have won much more than they did. Even Nadal would have picked up an extra couple of Wimbledons.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about Pete Sampraza? Without Federer, he could have retained his status as the GOAT, couldn't he? He had lost his records for the most GS titles to Federer and the longest period at the top of the rankings. Of course, Sampras was declining when Federer started to play as a pro and lost to Federer in the 4th round of Wimby in 2001, which without a doubt signaled the change of the guard. Sampraza could have won a couple of major titles if he hadn't stopped when he did, especially considering he won the last tournament he played, the U.S. Open. I think he knew he couldn't win much more with Federer maturing. I believe he made the right decision and avoided being embrrassed by losing to a much younger player over and over and more lopsidedly as time went by.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Easily Roddick and Hewitt, the amount of big titles they could’ve won if it weren’t for Federer would’ve made them look almost like Agassi caliber players.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about Marcelo Rios? Was his career affected by Federer at all? I remember he was once ranked No. 1 in the world without having won a slam title in the early 2000s or the late 1999s. That's when Federer started to make his presence known, right? In my opinion, Rios is one of the most talented tennis players the tour has ever produced but he failed to live up to his potential because of his flameboyant character combined with injuries. Now I wonder if Federer's rise played a part in stopping Rios realizing his potential if their careers overlapped at all.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Oldgassi would have won a slam (or two). If my memory serves me right, while Oldgassi was beating Hewitt and Roddick and having a 50:50 chance vs. Safin, Youngerer was giving a nice beating to Oldgassi's *** and dumped him out of slams at least 3 times at later stages of slams during that time. Playing then Youngerer means a sure loss to Oldgassi during that time.

Rios was irrelevant, in the context of grand slams.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Oldgassi would have won a slam (or two). If my memory serves me right, while Oldgassi was beating Hewitt and Roddick and having a 50:50 chance vs. Safin, Youngerer was giving a nice beating to Oldgassi's *** and dumped him out of slams at least 3 times at later stages of slams during that time. Playing then Youngerer means a sure loss to Oldgassi during that time.

Rios was irrelevant, in the context of grand slams.
Funny how Federer pushed Oldgassi into error machine same like Djokovic doing to Federer in 2014-2015.

Oldgassi attack the ball left and right high intensity and Youngerer slice and dice.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
What about Pete Sampraza? Without Federer, he could have retained his status as the GOAT, couldn't he? He had lost his records for the most GS titles to Federer and the longest period at the top of the rankings. Of course, Sampras was declining when Federer started to play as a pro and lost to Federer in the 4th round of Wimby in 2001, which without a doubt signaled the change of the guard. Sampraza could have won a couple of major titles if he hadn't stopped when he did, especially considering he won the last tournament he played, the U.S. Open. I think he knew he couldn't win much more with Federer maturing. I believe he made the right decision and avoided being embrrassed by losing to a much younger player over and over and more lopsidedly as time went by.
I dont think him retiring is due to Federer. It is players like Safin and Hewitt hitting passing shots. Gonzalez forehand embarrassing Sampras.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Roddick and Hewitt easily. He is 17-0 against them in slam. Murray, Safin and Wawrinka also would have won slams if it wasn't for Federer stopping them.

The only threats to Federer ( outside the Big 3) consistently in slams would have been Nalbandian and Agassi. He's had an excellent record against everybody else throughout the course of his career

1 - 20 of 22 Posts