Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who would be player of the year?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Djokovic were to complete the unprecedented feat of a Calendar Year Masters winning 9/9 but only end the season with 1 Grand Slam title coming in Australia and Player X, could be anyone, but for argument's sake let's say it's Roger Federer wins 2 of the next 3 majors, who would you personally regard, Federer or Djokovic, as the player of the year?

I will include an open poll so we can see who the clowns are and who the people who actually know how history is valued are.

To Recap:
Djokovic: Australian Open, 9 Masters
Federer: 2 Grand Slams

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Djokovic clearly

Player X (Federer) wins RG, Wimbledon AND US Open, it's Federer

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
I think the player who would stop Djokovic and actually win more Slams in 2015 than him would be regarded higher.

Doesn't have to be Federer becuase it's near impossible feat for him to achieve at this stage.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Who's won all 9 Masters in one year? No one. Record is 5 held by Novak and Rafa. So winning 9 would demolish that record. Plenty of players have won 2 Slams in one season.

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who's won all 9 Masters in one year? No one. Record is 5 held by Novak and Rafa. So winning 9 would demolish that record. Plenty of players have won 2 Slams in one season.
Ask anyone on the tour if they'd rather finish their careers with 2 slams or 9 masters. Better yet ask Nadal Federer and Djokovic if they'd rather increase their slam count by 2 or Masters count by 9 and their answers would all be the same. Murray is a perfect example, was dominant at the masters but he didn't care he wanted slams.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Depends on who wins the WTF, but let's say for argument's sake it's not Federer or Djokovic, then Djokovic had a better season. If Federer wins 3 slams, it's him obviously, but 2 vs 1 is not enough to compensate the massive difference in M1000, especially if it's winning all of them that has never being done. If Federer wins WTF, it's him too.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
If Djokovic were to complete the unprecedented feat of a Calendar Year Masters winning 9/9 but only end the season with 1 Grand Slam title coming in Australia and Player X, could be anyone, but for argument's sake let's say it's Roger Federer wins 2 of the next 3 majors, who would you personally regard, Federer or Djokovic, as the player of the year?

I will include an open poll so we can see who the clowns are and who the people who actually know how history is valued are.

To Recap:
Another clownish thread with a lot of reverie and alive dreaming.

So far 1 GS and 2 MS are played, rest is poetry.

1 injury and everything is gone for ages and you are the one to know it as a Rafatard.

So let 2015 go by, enjoy some tennis* and November will arrive to know who is Player of 2015.

EDIt : well maybe you are not watching any tennis and just wank off staring at scoreboards and digests.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Ask anyone on the tour if they'd rather finish their careers with 2 slams or 9 masters. Better yet ask Nadal Federer and Djokovic if they'd rather increase their slam count by 2 or Masters count by 9 and their answers would all be the same. Murray is a perfect example, was dominant at the masters but he didn't care he wanted slams.
I think Federer would take 9 masters and cemented season no.1, as well as many other players (because of money or ranking points) if those lost slams don't preclude possibility for slam SF or F.

With those masters Federer could hold both the most slams and masters titles and also WTFs and no.1 seasons & weeks ever, but reality is that both Nadal and Djokovic shall finish with more masters titles.

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
Roger Federer of course doesn't matter how many titles Djokopusher vultures he will never have Federer's class.

·
Registered
11,290 Posts

To Recap:
translation: Can Rafa somehow win 2 slams and have a better season than Djokovic?

nice disguise though :devil:

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Yes, but your question was 1 Slam + 9 Masters vs 2 Slams...and I just don't think the extra slam is worth ALL 9 Masters in one year, seeing as no one even has the Career Masters let alone the Calendar-Year Masters.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Yes, but your question was 1 Slam + 9 Masters vs 2 Slams...and I just don't think the extra slam is worth ALL 9 Masters in one year, seeing as no one even has the Career Masters let alone the Calendar-Year Masters.
So much this!

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
The one with more Slams

Reactions: RedHotRafa49

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One Slam is worth infinite Masters. Even with 100 Masters you'd always be regarded as the Greatest player to never win a slam.

I would trade all 27 of Nadal's meaningless Masters for 15 slams instead of 14.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Djokovic of course, it would be unprecedented to win all Master 1000 events in one season

in fact I would probably pick a player who won all 9 Masters 1000 events and NO slams over a player who won 2 slams in the same year

if Federer won RG, Wimbledon, US Open I would put that over Djokovic winning all Master 1000's and the AO but it would be close

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
One Slam is worth infinite Masters. Even with 100 Masters you'd always be regarded as the Greatest player to never win a slam.

I would trade all 27 of Nadal's meaningless Masters for 15 slams instead of 14.
Yes, but the Big 3 have all won plenty of Slams. You could make a case for someone who's never won one. You'd rather have an extra Slam rather than do something no one has ever done, and in all likelihood will never do.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Lol that scenario is never going to happen. Novak will win 3+ slams this year and at least 6 Masters, hence he will be the player of the year, regardless of silly unrealistic OP's imagination.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts