Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In women's tennis there are players who won the first wta-tournemant they entered, for example Justine Henin.

What about the men, what is the record?
Where can I find the statistics?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I don't know of any off the top of my head who won their very first tournament, but I also don't have a memory bank for the initial results of many players..

For what it's worth, I know that Jose Acasuso of Argentina reached the finals of his very first ATP tournament. He fell short of winning it though. Buenos Aires 2001, if anybody is interested:

Round Opponent W/L Score
R32 Hicham Arazi (MAR) W 2-6 7-6(3) 6-4
R16 Albert Portas (ESP) W 6-4 7-5
QF Franco Squillari (ARG) W 6-7(3) 6-4 6-4
SF Gaston Gaudio (ARG) W 3-6 6-1 6-3
F Gustavo Kuerten (BRA) L 1-6 3-6

Not bad for your first ATP tournament, huh? Keep in mind that Arazi was posting some decent results back then, and not lingering out of the top 100.

That doesn't answer your question, but it makes for a good sub topic. Another good subtopic, is how many tournaments did it take the top players to win their first title?

I know of a few off the top of my head:

I believe that Roddick took 11 tournaments.

Ferrero took 5.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
This also doesn't answer your question, but I found it interesting.

The first two tournaments that John McEnroe ever played were Roland Garros and Wimbledon? That is what tenniscorner leadsd me to believe at least. He reached the semis at Wimbledon that year... not bad for your second tournament, eh? He didn't win a title that year on tour though, apparently.

Becker didn't win a title his first year on tour either. Nor did Edberg, Muster, Sampras, or Agassi.

Agassi won his 24th event, if I counted correctly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I checked McEnroe's record out and he actually played in two tournaments prior to the French Open: Ocean City and Virginia Beach.

I hate to say it but Mr Hewitt won the second ATP tournament that he entered after losing in his first appearance at the Australian Open. I can't find anyone who won at the first attempt though.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Oh yeah, it didn't occur to me to look up Hewitt. Should have realized that he was cutting it awfully close..

I checked McEnroe's record out and he actually played in two tournaments prior to the French Open: Ocean City and Virginia Beach.
Apologies, but they didn't have those listed on tenniscorner, which is why I didn't mention them.

Were those ATP level, or were they challengers? Because I was talking strictly about ATP level events, and that would explain why they didn't show up on tenniscorner.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm almost 100% certain that they were ATP tournaments but you've sewn a few seeds of doubt in my mind. I think that the itftennis.com site only lists ATP tournaments but it's not overtly stated. Incidentally, he lost in both tournaments to Ilie Nastase - the very fact that Nastase was in these tournaments makes it unlikely that they were challengers I would have thought.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Indeed, it sounds like you are correct. Hell, maybe they were on tenniscorner and I just overlooked them.

I thought that it was a little odd that his first tournament was Roland Garros...

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
i think it's Andy Roddick. he won a tournament in only his 9th career tournament. i think that's right if my mind serves me correctly

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Ferrero won his fifth tournament (Mallorca 1999), which I believe he had to qualify for.

Jarkko Nieminen ran to the finals of his second ATP tournament, also as a qualifier (Stockholm 2001).

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
TennisHack said:
Jarkko Nieminen ran to the finals of his second ATP tournament, also as a qualifier (Stockholm 2001).
Oh yeah, I remember that tournament, it was the 1st time I watched Jarkko, there's where I fall in love with his style of game.:D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have two interesting facts.

Olivier Rochus(BEL) first played two grand slams, Wimbledon where he reached the third round, defeating 2 seed, Magnus Norman in the second round, and US Open.
In his first normal tournemant, his third tournemant he WON.
So I think he won his third tournemant.

Kristof Vliegen(BEL) reached the final of his first atp-tournemant.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks btw for the reactions on my questions, keep them coming.

·
27,371 Posts
According to atptennis.com , Lleyton won his third tournament ( although his second one might of been a challenger) but still rather impressive :D :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
angele87 said:
According to atptennis.com , Lleyton won his third tournament ( although his second one might of been a challenger) but still rather impressive :D :D
It's correct, it was a challenger.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hewitt won his 2nd tournament!!!
Adelaide 1998
32 W Scott DRAPER (AUS) 6-4 6-4
16 W Mark WOODFORDE (AUS) 4-6 7-6 6-1
QF W Vince SPADEA (USA) 7-5 3-6 6-1
SF W Andre AGASSI (USA) 7-6 7-6
FR W Jason STOLTENBERG (AUS) 3-6 6-3 7-6

his first tournament was Australin-Open 1 year before, he lost at the first round against Brugera

1 - 20 of 27 Posts