Mens Tennis Forums banner

WWW more majors? The Highlander or Stanimal?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They are even now. Stan - 1 AO & 1 RG, Andy - 1 WC & 1 USO

Andy's over 2 years younger, so he has an edge there, but he won his majors longer ago, and has had back surgery.
Stan has hit his peak in the last 2 years.

So call it, MTF.

Don't forget to factor in things like motivation, coaching staff, susceptibility to injury, personal issues, etc.

We'll review this thread over the next few years, see how things progress, and hopefully enjoy it. :)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Murray. He will win couple more slams. While Wawrinka will not.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Really can't say. How many people here saw stanislas' victory coming, especially after that first set ?

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Magnus Norman has Stan under some kind of hypnosis when he makes a Grand Slam final.

It seems that Stan is now convinced that he can win, while before he seemed like he had low self esteem.

I don't know about Andy, but I think Stan can win more than what he has if he can keep his motivation.

I believe that Andy has to surmount the problem of fading against No1e, and perhaps the humiliation he received from Federer at the WTF, if they face each other again. If he does, then I think he could win more, even though those are obviously not the only players to worry about.

As of now, it's a tough call, but I give the edge to Stan, even though his lower seeding makes him more vulnerable. He has impressed me with his wins over the top players and doesn't fear taking the risks needed to overcome them.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Stop with these Stan hype threads please. :eek:

So many of you were judgemental of him a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ It's hardly a hype thread. It's quite legitimate.

Two players with equal results so far.
Simply predict the outcome.

If you are not interested, you can say so, and even a poll option is provided for that, but please don't disrupt the thread for others.
Thanks.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
980 Posts
Stan beat 2 BIG3 members in each of his trumps, while Murray only need 1, but none of them beat them back to back in a tournament yet. With them being in top 4 they have equal chance to win slam now, Murray being more consistent but Stan is more dangerous in final. So let's see, I guess Murray can reach more finals but Stan may edge out in the end in slam count.
it will depend on who draw Nole 1st, the other will have advantage being on the other half with mugs :devil:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I think Stan can win another one or two unless he suddenly becomes far more consistent than he is. He could also win none though.

Murray, about the same, but I think he's slightly more likely to go deep in most slams and therefore will probably equal or do better than Stan (depending on opponents as well of course).

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stan beat 2 BIG3 members in each of his trumps, while Murray only need 1, but none of them beat them back to back in a tournament yet. With them being in top 4 they have equal chance to win slam now, Murray being more consistent but Stan is more dangerous in final. So let's see, I guess Murray can reach more finals but Stan may edge out in the end in slam count.
it will depend on who draw Nole 1st, the other will have advantage being on the other half with mugs :devil:
Interesting observation.

Note that Andy has had the opportunity to beat the top 2 three times, but failed in each attempt.

He beat #2 Rafa in the 2008 US Open semis in 4, but lost to #1 Federer in 3.
He again beat #2 Rafa in the 2010 Aus. Open quarters in 2+ (ret.), beat #14 Cilic in the semis, but lost to #1 Federer in 3 in the final.
His most recent attempt was in the 2013 Aus Open, beating #2 Federer in 5 sets in the semis, and losing to #1 Djokovic in 4 sets in the Final.

I agree that Murray being the more consistent of the two will probably reach more finals, as he already has, but he needs that extra beast mode to win more majors against multiple top players. But no matter, with a high seed and luck of the played out draw he might not have to beat more than 1.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
6,477 Posts
Andy, weight of numbers of consistently putting himself in a position to win should pay off.
Stan can't expect his 100% conversion rate in Finals to continue either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Stan's win was exciting, but let's not go overboard.
Even on current slams, Murray still comes out better, having won Wimbledon and the USO. OK the aussie is pretty similar to the USO but the former is more historically prestigious. FO is an awesome one for Stan.
On future slams it's tough as great players keep getting blocked by the slightly greater. For Murray, Novak is the obstacle. Stan tends to fund a bugger range of people as obstacles. So Murray to edge it on probabilities

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
As incredible a statement as this is, it nonetheless holds unfathomably true.
Whoever has beaten Djokovic in a slam over the last two years has gone on to win the tournament.
Indeed, whichever players manages the upset will win the tourney!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
As good as the Stanimal is, a fair bit would have to go right for him to win another slam. Andy, on the other hand, I expect to win another Wimbledon and possibly another hardcourt slam. He has age on his side, is obviously suited to grass, and with the decline/ageing of Fedal, he's going to be second favourite at most of the non RG slams in the next year or two.

Murray - 4
Wawrinka - 2

1 - 20 of 37 Posts