Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will take the 4th seed for RG and who do you prefer for 4th seed?

• Nishikori

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Nishikori, but prefer Berdych

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Berdych

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Berdych, but prefer Nishikori

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Nadal (only if he wins Rome does he have any chance at all)

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Nadal, but prefer Nishikori

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadal, but prefer Berdych

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The top 3 seeds for RG are already set it stone: Djokovic (1), Federer (2), Murray (3).
I see 2 candidates for last top 4 seeding, with very grim hopes for Nadal getting that spot given the points he is required to defend. Theoretically, Nadal must win the final, and require Berdych and Nishikori to lose before the SF is he is to have any chance at all. In fact, just making the Rome final will not be sufficient.

Thus the 4th seed will almost certainly be decided between Berdych and Nishikori. Berdych lost in R3 last year while Nishikori did not contest Rome. However, from the Rome draw, Berdych has better chance at reaching SF with Roger Federer in his quarter, while Nishikori has a much tougher task in Djokovic and this should be enough for Berdych to edge Nishikori for fourth seed into RG, on a timely note when he has only just achieved a career high ranking of 4.

Who will take the 4th seed and who do you prefer to take the 4th seed?

Live rankings (with Rome pts from last year removed) shown below:

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I think it will be Berdych, and deservedly so. As much crap as he gets for tame performances in big matches, Nishikori's have been even tamer so far this year.

·
54,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it will be Berdych, and deservedly so. As much crap as he gets for tame performances in big matches, Nishikori's have been even tamer so far this year.
Berdych has definitely made most of his 'easy' draws, next to Murray. Normally Nadal would have his number for AO, and Raonic was injured in MC so Berdych got to the final quite straightforwardly. Basically making the SFs if not F of many events but no title yet to show for his consistency this year. I'm not completely sure he would be the best top 4 candidate, but even more arguable is Federer's 2nd seed - whoever's placed in Federer's quarter will be pleased (unless somehow Federer becomes good on clay again...)!

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Nishikori.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Berdych has definitely made most of his 'easy' draws, next to Murray. Normally Nadal would have his number for AO, and Raonic was injured in MC so Berdych got to the final quite straightforwardly. Basically making the SFs if not F of many events but no title yet to show for his consistency this year. I'm not completely sure he would be the best top 4 candidate, but even more arguable is Federer's 2nd seed - whoever's placed in Federer's quarter will be pleased (unless somehow Federer becomes good on clay again...)!
If Nishikori makes the final this week, then he deserves it. If not, let Berdych have it; at least he's a reasonably safe bet to take advantage of the easier draw provided by the top 4 seed and actually show up to QF/SF while with Nishikori you always half-expect a disastrous performance to get eliminated early...

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
I suspect Berdych will take it.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
Almost certainly Berdych. The guy is utterly upset-proof and has a good chance of making the most of being in Federer's section again in Rome.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Berdych actually has a tougher draw than Nishikori though; the Japanese should breeze through to the QF, while Berdych will have a tough test vs Dimitrov (2-3 H2H) or Fognini (0-2 on clay) in R16... or Janowicz I guess, which would be easier; considering that Kei only needs to go one round further than Berdych to be top 4 seed at RG...

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
Dimitrov is playing absolute journeyman tennis right now. And all it would take for Fognini to go into tank mode is for Berdych to hit one of his trademark fluky second serves on the line down BP :p

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Dimitrov is playing absolute journeyman tennis right now. And all it would take for Fognini to go into tank mode is for Berdych to hit one of his trademark fluky second serves on the line down BP :p
Irony surely? Berdych's 'trademark shot' is the double fault on key points if anything

·
54,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Janowicz won't beat Dimitrov. Almost 99% certain. La Fog is a flip of the coin...surprised at the H2H actually but he can turn on or off at any given time. However his recent matches suggest he is no exact 'pushover' - he did take Dimitrov to 3 sets...

·
54,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Berdych actually has a tougher draw than Nishikori though; the Japanese should breeze through to the QF, while Berdych will have a tough test vs Dimitrov (2-3 H2H) or Fognini (0-2 on clay) in R16... or Janowicz I guess, which would be easier; considering that Kei only needs to go one round further than Berdych to be top 4 seed at RG...
10 pts really does make a big difference! Happened in IW with Murray just getting 4 ahead of Nishikori with 10 pts from DC, and now here, Berd finds himself with a 10 pt lead over Kei to start with.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Tomas is overdue for an early round loss, so I think it's advantage Nishikori :shrug:
Berd's only failed to reach the quarter finals once since and including the US Open (WTFs excluded because no QF stage), and it's starting to scare me :scared:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Ferrer also technically still has a chance, but would need to win the tournament and Berdych to crash out R1 and Nishikori to crash out R2

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Berdych easily. The guy has been incredibly consistent (for both good and bad, that is) for more than half a year now. And I think Nishikori's hip joint is in a worse condition than Berdych's left knee is. He made the same weird gesture during the Murray match as the one he did against Federer in Miami last year. Bad sign. I don't think he wants to ruin his chance at RG by playing more intensely at Rome than his body can handle it.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
The top 3 seeds for RG are already set it stone: Djokovic (1), Federer (2), Murray (3).

Who will take the 4th seed and who do you prefer to take the 4th seed?

With Nishikori as no.4 the draw can't be as lopsided as with him at no.5 and Djokovic, Murray and Nishikori in the same half as in the Rome, rigged USO'14 etc.

·
54,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With Nishikori as no.4 the draw can't be as lopsided as with him at no.5 and Djokovic, Murray and Nishikori in the same half as in the Rome, rigged USO'14 etc.
nothing can be done it seems :shrug:
But he'll do well if he does well, draw withstanding.
But yeah you can count on Nadal, Berdych and Federer together in one half can't you?

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Tomas is overdue for an early round loss, so I think it's advantage Nishikori :shrug:
Berd's only failed to reach the quarter finals once since and including the US Open (WTFs excluded because no QF stage), and it's starting to scare me :scared:
Show some more trust in your man :p When was the last time he lost to a mug? Andujar in Valencia doesn't count because it was a tank

1 - 20 of 21 Posts