Mens Tennis Forums banner

Other than Nadal, who does Spain play? (3)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning to become a real question

Nadal is pretty much a lock, hard to imagine Almagro being picked before Ferrer, and Robredo is injured but...
Verdasco and Lopez have traditionally been the other two players, playing doubles. However, now Granollers is only one spot below Verdasco in the rankings in singles and is ranked much higher in doubles.
Spain's singles players in top 100 are:
2 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 9,500 0 17
5 Ferrer, David (ESP) 4,300 0 20
9 Almagro, Nicolas (ESP) 2,370 0 24
18 Lopez, Feliciano (ESP) 1,665 0 26
23 Verdasco, Fernando (ESP) 1,505 0 23
39 Robredo, Tommy (ESP) 905 0 23
48 Andujar, Pablo (ESP) 875 -2 30
52 Montanes, Albert (ESP) 850 0 25
54 Granollers, Marcel (ESP) 835 0 23
56 Ferrero, Juan Carlos (ESP) 810 -1 16
62 Garcia-Lopez, Guillermo (ESP) 710 0 28
66 Ramos, Albert (ESP) 689 0 29
84 Riba, Pere (ESP) 592 -1 32
98 Gimeno-Traver, Daniel (ESP) 527 -2 32
though now Granollers is much higher
In doubles it is:
Rank, Name & Nationality Points Week Change Tourn Played
35 Marrero, David (ESP) 2,060 1 30
36 Lopez, Marc (ESP) 2,050 -4 30
38 Granollers, Marcel (ESP) 2,045 0 23
60 Ramirez Hidalgo, Ruben (ESP) 1,244 3 26
79 Gimeno-Traver, Daniel (ESP) 954 0 24
85 Robredo, Tommy (ESP) 880 2 9
Marc Lopez is Granoller's partner of choice, not Feli, though they played RG together. Which brings up the question of who the THIRD player sent would be with Granollers replacing Verdasco. If it were Marc Lopez, then they would lose their 3rd singles player, but on clay would you play Lopez over Granollers or Verdasco anyway? I dunno, just wanted to see what popular opinion was. Unlikely options would be playing Ferrero, Marrero or Almgaro just to do something unexpected.

·
Registered
61,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No love for Verdasco, Marc, or Marerro thusfar. 4 votes all for Ferrer, Feli, Granollers

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
Ferrer, Marc Lopez and Granollers

Ferrer obviously takes the second singles spot and I'd say, unless Rafa's first singles rubber goes the full 5 sets, play him in doubles with Lopez. Granollers gets the edge over F-Lo due to current form and the fact that he played several events with M. Lopez this year.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Ferrer is basically a lock.

Doubles should be Granollers and Feli or Marc Lopez, both of them would be fine choices, Feli is good at volleying and he's had a fairly good season. If Costa picks Verdasco after the France fiasco :help: his attitude lately has been poor.

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
Nadal
Ferrer
Verdasco
Granollers

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
They can use anyone they'd like, but I'd prefer Nadal to play even if his shoulders are hurting. I don't trust Ferrer, this guy is a 5 set choke that can win the first two sets then die and lose the next 3. Without Nadal, I feel Argentina would feel more confident. Though it's a big bummer now because Del Potro isn't fit, so Spain might feel comfortable even if Nadal refuses to show up.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I think the whole team is a lock actually. Nadal and Ferrer for singles, and the gay couple for doubles.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
They can use anyone they'd like, but I'd prefer Nadal to play even if his shoulders are hurting. I don't trust Ferrer, this guy is a 5 set choke that can win the first two sets then die and lose the next 3. Without Nadal, I feel Argentina would feel more confident. Though it's a big bummer now because Del Potro isn't fit, so Spain might feel comfortable even if Nadal refuses to show up.
Spain does!! He is amazing fighter for his country and with Rafa he will bring back Davic Cup home

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Well yes, only if Rafa plays with him. Otherwise if it is like Ferrer and Verdasco taking over >_> prepare to toss your coins in the air for the results.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Nadal
Ferrer
Verdasco
Granollers

just add lopez and we have the team.

if spain leads 3-0 after the first 2 days then there is no need to play the clay warrior. let marcel share in the glory on day #3.

verdasco and lopez to play doubles obviously.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Weren't Lopez ans Sexless playing doubles in every tie?

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
Verdasco shouldn't even be allowed to watch the final on TV.

Rafa and David for the singles obviously and bring Granollers in to play doubles with Feli. Don't want to rock the boat too much.

·
A happy person
44,907 Posts
I voted for Ferrer, Feliciano and Marcel.. But Feli & Marcel aren't a good team, they are always lose together.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
I think they will stay with all the same players. Many players rise to the occasion when playing for national pride; Fernando is no different.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts