Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much has been made of pure coincidencies between Pete and Roger generally and Wimbledon specifically. They are born 10 years apart, they had couple of first round losses first before dominatiing and of course their victories are in a perect 10 year span (93-94-95vs03-04-05). Pete lost to Krajicek in 96 which could mean that tennis god have something for us next?

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I was thinking about that recently myself, the similarity is uncanny in terms of the years when they have won. I suppose the obvious candidate is Manchick, but he needs much improvement in his general game before he is ready to repeat his upset of 2002.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Marat Safin.

Whoever said Mardy Fish, I agree - if he was 100%. He is a headcase with horrible fitness and a bad wrist injury at the moment.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hmmm... Joachim Johansson and Mario Ancic are matches I'd like to see to find out how Federer would do. Safin if he serves well would be real trouble for Federer but is Marat going to be consistent enough to get into the second week and meet him? And of course there is Ivo Karlovic and Federer would not want to make any mistakes during those tie-breaks...

I'm going to guess Karlovic and a couple of UEs in tiebreaks could spell big-serving doom for the mighty Fed.

·
Registered
981 Posts
candidates: Muller, both Johanssons (even T-Jo IMO), Safin (best possibility), Dent (has to be a 3 or 4 set match though)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think Taylor Dent is doing much better in the slams recently. He pushed Hewitt to a tough match at the open and at wimbledon . I think Dent could be a late bloomer much like Patrick Rafter was with his serve and volley game maturing over the years . I believe Dent has the game to upset Fed at wimbledon . I also think the next person to beat him will be a serve and volley player , I've thought about Ivo Karlovic possibly doing the dirty work for someone like Roddick but not necessarily winning the title .

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think in order to answer this question seriously we have to recall where Kraijeck was in his career when he beat Pete....I honetly don't know....was he a top 10 player? Was he a geniune contender at the slams? How many titles had he won?---Then we can draw a parallel to a player like that today....and there we'll have it---The 2006 Wimbledon Champion who will take out Federer in a rain delayed QF....

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
wimbledonfan said:
I think Taylor Dent is doing much better in the slams recently. He pushed Hewitt to a tough match at the open and at wimbledon . I think Dent could be a late bloomer much like Patrick Rafter was with his serve and volley game maturing over the years . I believe Dent has the game to upset Fed at wimbledon . I also think the next person to beat him will be a serve and volley player , I've thought about Ivo Karlovic possibly doing the dirty work for someone like Roddick but not necessarily winning the title .
That's what i thought......I think it can be Dent or Tojo.
Pim Pim strangely enough isn't performing as expected on grass:shrug: Karlovic will always be a threat.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
TGS said:
That's what i thought......I think it can be Dent or Tojo.
Pim Pim strangely enough isn't performing as expected on grass:shrug: Karlovic will always be a threat.
Well, give him a chance! He's only played Wimbledon the last two years, he beat Bjorkman en route to the fourth round last year and Rusedski in the second round this year before being thumped by an inspired Gonzalez. To be honest though, I'd put him in the Verkerk/Ljubicic category of a tall, big-serving baseliner who doesn't really like the low bounces on grass. Mayer exposed that brutally with his slice and dice game last year.

·
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
5,067 Posts
Dent

·
Registered
148 Posts
How about Gasquet ? I hope he will be more consistent and healthy next year. He seems to be pretty comfortable on faster courts. I don't remember how far he reached at Wimby this year and I think he lost to Nalbandian.
He was quite good at USO as well.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
wowfed said:
How about Gasquet ? I hope he will be more consistent and healthy next year. He seems to be pretty comfortable on faster courts. I don't remember how far he reached at Wimby this year and I think he lost to Nalbandian.
He was quite good at USO as well.
What round did he get to?

·
Registered
148 Posts
AgassiDomination said:
What round did he get to?
He made it to R16 at both Wimby and USO. Too bad he lost to Nalbandian at Wimby though that too in straight sets. I had put my money on Gasquet to come through.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts