Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will win his 1st title in 2018

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking for this thread in 2017 and couldn't find one, although there used to be such in previous years. So I decided to start one for 2018.

2017 saw 7 new title winners:

Gilles Muller (Sydney)
Ryan Harrison (Memphis)
Borna Coric (Marrakesh)
Yuichi Sugita (Antalya)
Andrey Rublev (Umag)
Damir Dzumhur (St.Petersburg)
Peter Gojowczyk (Metz)

For 2018 I decided to make a poll with:

8 top ranked players without a title
2 highest ranked young players (u-23) without a title (if not included above)
1 wildcard

Who do you think can win his 1st title in 2018 ?

2018 first title winners are:

Daniil Medvedev (Sydney)

Mirza Basic (Sofia)

Roberto Carballes Baena (Quito)

Frances Tiafoe (Delray Beach)

Marco Cecchinato (Budapest)

Taro Daniel (Istanbul)

Marton Fucsovics (Geneva)

Mischa Zverev (Eastbourne)

Matteo Berrettini (Gstaad)

Nikoloz Basilashvili (Hamburg)

Yoshihito Nishioka (Shenzen)

Kyle Edmund (Antwerp)

Stefanos Tsitsipas (Stockholm)

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,517 Posts
Miracle for Benneteau to retire with a title in hand. Fingers crossed.

Mannarino, Mischa and Edmund should also be good enough for a title.
Hope Chung, Shapovalov can also strive towards one.

·
Registered
21,321 Posts
Auger-Aliassime

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Benneteau wasted a great chance in Paris, he was playing really well there and had the crowd support. Not sure he will get another chance, specially because early in the year most of the courts don't favor him.

Mannarino and Edmund should win at some point.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hopefully Shapovalov and Chung.

Mannarino and Edmund should also have chances at 250s.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hyeon Chung already won a title this year - the Next Generation ATP Finals. Per the ATP World Tour website, this counts as an official title for Chung so there were actually 8 first time title winners in 2017.

I was looking for this thread in 2017 and couldn't find one, although there used to be such in previous years. So I decided to start one for 2018.

2017 saw 7 new title winners:

Gilles Muller (Auckland)
Ryan Harrison (Memphis)
Borna Coric (Marrakesh)
Yuichi Sugita (Antalya)
Andrey Rublev (Umag)
Damir Dzumhur (St.Petersburg)
Peter Gojowczyk (Metz)

For 2018 I decided to make a poll with:

8 top ranked players without a title
2 highest ranked young players (u-23) without a title (if not included above)
1 wildcard

Who do you think can win his 1st title in 2018 ?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Plenty of the players on there had chances in 2017 and surely will again in 2018, especially at 250 level but who knows, first time title winners at a bigger level than that wouldn't surprise me too much at the moment!

I agree with David a couple of posts above also, I thought Chung already had won a title but I voted him anyway incase you weren't counting it. Officially it seems to be an ATP title though.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I voted for Chung (thanks btw, I didn't know that ATP counts nextgen as the official title) - he proved that he can win titles and he can do it on many surfaces (didn't he trouble Nadal on clay in 2017 ? ). Mannarino's versatility and regularity can also give him one 250.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Hyeon Chung already won a title this year - the Next Generation ATP Finals. Per the ATP World Tour website, this counts as an official title for Chung so there were actually 8 first time title winners in 2017.
That only because the ATP are desperate to promote this joke event. If it doesn't carry ranking points, it's an exhibition event.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Clearly a troll thread to belittle CHUNGredo and more importantly me.

Already has a title :wavey: HATERS

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
That only because the ATP are desperate to promote this joke event. If it doesn't carry ranking points, it's an exhibition event.
What like the WTF you Divatards are getting gassed about :haha: Goffin in the final Sock in the semi final was it :rolls:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Well, whether you like it or not, Chung has a title already and it counts.

However, I think he can win his first 250 or 500 in 2018. I think he is capable on all surfaces but he seems to really suit clay and played his best on the dirt so i think he will get one there first.

Shapovalov is a good shout for a first title. He is a bit streaky now but that is due to lack of experience. i think he will be able to win at least a 250.

I could easily imagine Edmund picking up a title too.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So we will have the maiden title already in the 2nd week of the season ! It will be either Daniil Medvedev or Alex de Minaur :)

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,517 Posts
Well, whether you like it or not, Chung has a title already and it counts.

However, I think he can win his first 250 or 500 in 2018. I think he is capable on all surfaces but he seems to really suit clay and played his best on the dirt so i think he will get one there first.

Shapovalov is a good shout for a first title. He is a bit streaky now but that is due to lack of experience. i think he will be able to win at least a 250.

I could easily imagine Edmund picking up a title too.
Edmund really would deserve one, he works so hard and is largely under the radar. Just needs to put something together given the size of his weapon (particularly the FH).

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I completely forgot I voted for Medvedev on this a couple of months back but it gives me reason to be smug if he wins the title :p

1 - 20 of 97 Posts