Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Safin out of Madrid and lets face it a probable unfit Marat at Paris (if he does play)

Can we really see anyone even taking a set off Federer never mind beating him,what players have any chance if any???

Ljubicic for me is the only one who has a big enough game and the only one with the indoor pedigree, what do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,455 Posts
He still has to play and win these matches - any contender in the early rounds has a good chance...
And who knows he may have one of these rare bad days - which I hope he won't have;)

Even though I'm quite a big fan of him I wouldn't hand him these titles just like that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
bad gambler said:
federer won't lose another match this year
I think Federer can be defeated before end of season and this loss would be on carpet..

The problem on carpet is that if your is opponent is a big server it's almost impossible to break him and when Federer faces a big server it exists the danger of reaching tie breaks and that the big server continues to serve amazingly.

I'm not telling Federer isn't a good carpet player at all, i'm only saying that on surfaces very fast like carpet ( not including grass ) Federer has more chances to fall than on hard , because on hard Federer has a lot of time during the set to break, but on carpet is quite difficult to break against a big server..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
skel1983 said:
With Safin out of Madrid and lets face it a probable unfit Marat at Paris (if he does play)

Can we really see anyone even taking a set off Federer never mind beating him,what players have any chance if any???

Ljubicic for me is the only one who has a big enough game and the only one with the indoor pedigree, what do you think?
Ljubicic lost to Federer in 3 Finals in early 2005 (Doha, Rotterdam, Dubai)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TennisGrandSlam said:
Ljubicic lost to Federer in 3 Finals in early 2005 (Doha, Rotterdam, Dubai)

Did you see those matches????

They were very close, correct me if i am wrong but at least one or maybe two went to 3rd set tiebreaks,Ljubicic was probably the closest to beating Federer in all his finals this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
skel1983 said:
Did you see those matches????

They were very close, correct me if i am wrong but at least one or maybe two went to 3rd set tiebreaks,Ljubicic was probably the closest to beating Federer in all his finals this year.
The first one in Doha was in straight sets (6-3,6-1), the second one in Rotterdam was very tight (5-7, 7-5, 7-6) the third one in Dubai was also tight (6-1, 6-7, 6-3). They also met in Indian Wells in the round of 16 and Federer won 7-6,7-6. Ljubicic was the closest to winning a set of Federer at Indian Wells not to mention the closest to win a final (Rotterdam)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
Laura12 said:
The first one in Doha was in straight sets (6-3,6-1), the second one in Rotterdam was very tight (5-7, 7-5, 7-6) the third one in Dubai was also tight (6-1, 6-7, 6-3). They also met in Indian Wells in the round of 16 and Federer won 7-6,7-6. Ljubicic was the closest to winning a set of Federer at Indian Wells not to mention the closest to win a final (Rotterdam)

you should change your signature :) (2005: 11 Titles)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
TennisGrandSlam said:
you should change your signature :) (2005: 11 Titles)
I should, thanks for making me aware of that. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,490 Posts
Fed is good
 

·
Miss Fabray
Joined
·
55,507 Posts
bad gambler said:
federer won't lose another match this year
That's true! :yeah:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
bad gambler said:
federer won't lose another match this year
I find this so hard to believe. I figured with 3 more tournaments left to play, he'd lose at least one or two matches. Still, he did say after the USO that he felt refreshed, so.....
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
gillian said:
I find this so hard to believe. I figured with 3 more tournaments left to play, he'd lose at least one or two matches. Still, he did say after the USO that he felt refreshed, so.....

as the thread starter said - i would give safin a chance in Paris given he owns the tournament over the past few years but will he be fully fit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,433 Posts
And people complain that Fed fans are the ones that start the threads on Fed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,729 Posts
Fed has to lose sometime and indoor carpet [Paris Bercy] is a good place to start [is TMC Shanghai really outdoor carpet? really??].

Some Spaniard can beat him in Madrid... ;)

Probably some Argie will beat him in Basel... ;) He's already lost the final twice there [to Enqvist and to his old nemesis Henman].
 

·
Gugaholic
Joined
·
84,779 Posts
RogiFan88 said:
Probably some Argie will beat him in Basel... ;) He's already lost the final twice there [to Enqvist and to his old nemesis Henman].
I was thinking exactly the same thing. He may lost in Basel.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
RogiFan88 said:
Some Spaniard can beat him in Madrid... ;.
If you are thinking in Nadal..... Nadal usually arrived to the end of season off form and this season he feels the story could happen again, because his petrol tank is low after a season plenty of a lot of matches and also thanks for a stupid schedule ( I have always wondered if Nadal's schedule of tournaments is made by his enemy )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,530 Posts
Galaxystorm said:
I think Federer can be defeated before end of season and this loss would be on carpet..

The problem on carpet is that if your is opponent is a big server it's almost impossible to break him and when Federer faces a big server it exists the danger of reaching tie breaks and that the big server continues to serve amazingly.

I'm not telling Federer isn't a good carpet player at all, i'm only saying that on surfaces very fast like carpet ( not including grass ) Federer has more chances to fall than on hard , because on hard Federer has a lot of time during the set to break, but on carpet is quite difficult to break against a big server..
I would say a surface like this is good for Fed, he loves very fast courts for the reason that he is all but unbreakable on them due to serve variety and % but he is awesome at breaking the big servers.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
stebs said:
I would say a surface like this is good for Fed, he loves very fast courts for the reason that he is all but unbreakable on them due to serve variety and % but he is awesome at breaking the big servers.
Fed loves more fast hard courts than carpet .
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Top