Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The special one
14,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the guys that are going to take over from the big 3, along with guys like Shapovalov, FAA etc.

Who's your money on having a better year next year. I think we could see a slam winner among these 4 guys next year.

Medvedev - Huge breakthrough year for him on 2019 winning 2 masters and taking Nadal to 5 sets in the USO final, he lost early in Paris and lost his first match this week but I think he'll be a big threat in the 2 HC slams next year, could win one for sure.

Tsitsipas - Kinda been overshadowed a little by Medvedev this year, but he's also had a great year. I feel he needs to schedule a bit smarter though and not play so many 250s that top players like the big 3 wouldn't even contemplate playing. Wouldn't surprise me if he's in a slam final next year?

Thiem - Clay still his best surface although he's made massive strides on HC as well so a possible deep run in HC slams as well. Possibly the most likely to dethrone Nadal at RG. I would rate him as easily the best player on clay out of the 4 despite Zverev having 2 masters.

Zverev - Let's face it he's been very poor in slams. For someone that's won 3 masters and WTF to not even reach a QF outside RG is very poor. That being said I think he's going to have a big breakthrough in slams at some point, maybe next year.

Honestly I don't rate any of their chances high at Wimbledon. Medvedev I think has the best chance in the 2 HC slams, although I can easily see one of the other 3 at least making a final and Thiem has the best shot on clay, although I can also see Zverev making a RG final as well.

Hopefully these 4 guys can all push each other to greatness.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
Greek god

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Thiem closely followed by Medvedev.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
i think next year will be between Thiem and Medvedev. Both have made huge improvements this year and if you look at trajectory they are the leaders of the pack trying to dethrone the Big3.
Tsitsipas had a great year but i don't think he improved all that much except a bit on the serve and return since the asian swing (but ofc he was really good player already last year..). I expect further improvements next season and he will be GS contender in 2021.
I wouldn't count Zverev out but he has been so inconsistent and there are huge asterisk with his mentality and GS performance.

Reactions: cmchelsea

·
justice for all
14,712 Posts
Interesting question. I think all 4 will have chances, I wouldn't count out any of them.

Will be rooting for Domi of course and then Stef.

Some other players might also have a major breakthrough: FAA, Sinner, Shapovalov and maybe a few more...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Dont know and dont care but i do know the big 3 are gonna have a much harder time of it in 2020
Last 12 slams won by the big 3 and if anything they are having less trouble winning than ever before. Nadal still is a country mile ahead of anyone at RG. Djokovic and Federer are way way ahead of anyone else on grass and they are on the verge of using walking sticks. Djokovic smashed everyone at AO and Medved is getting hyped for taking one set off him there.

The big 3 are total legends and the fact that they are still winning slams well past 30 is just mind blowing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts