Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will have a better career when they retire.

• Medvedev

• Murray

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
Similar in that they are intelligent players with good movement and a solid 2hbh? Other than those qualities they have quite different gamestyles imo.

As for the question at hand, you would have to say probably Medvedev. Seems a bit cooler mentally than Murray and won't have to contend with prime Djokovic and Fed to win slams.

·
The special one
14,696 Posts
Even without the big 3 Medvedev will probably never win Wimbledon or RG since his game isn't good enough on Clay or Grass. So to surpass Murray he'd probably need to win 4 or 5 HC slams, and have a spell as world No1, which I'd say is unlikely.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I fully expect Medvedev to win at least 2-3 slam, mostly due to the intelligent game style he employs. That said, unless he goes on an absolute tear and wins 5-6 slams and hits 100+ weeks at no.1, he won't be above Murray.

One has to factor competition into everything when one compares achievements. Being consistently in the top four (and regularly above that) against three of the absolute greatest of all time has to count for something.

Murray might have just the three slams, but when it comes to career achievements as well as overall level, I tend to compare him with Becker and Edberg rather than Courier, Kuerten and Wawrinka, despite the difference in slams.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It'll be pretty close between the two. On paper, Medvedev might be a bit better at the end of the day, but that's nowhere certain yet, but unless he goes on to absolutely feast on a significantly weaker tour, I'll probably consider Murray's career as greater.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Murray better career overall, Medvedev one more slam.

Medvedev will be 25 come AO'21.

25 y.o (before the 25th birthday):

Murray___ 3 slam finals + 6 semis + 8 masters, 22 titles.
Medvedev 1 slam final + 1 semi + 3 masters + 1 WTF , 9 titles.

25 y.o Murray (12 month period before the 26th birthday)

1 slam + 2 slam finals + 1 masters + OG medal, and then Wimb title as 26.1 y.o., still just y.e. no. 3 and no.4 in 2012 and 2013.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
It's silly to even think about this. They both will do the best they can, they both will have careers that millions of people will admire and appreciate in their own ways. To nitpick about which one is the better player seems a waste of time and energy?

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Quite strange that a new account, registered just two days ago, opens a thread on Murray. Just a few hours ago a thread on comparing Murray’s accolades with other tennis legends has been ruinated, just like the thread’s op got banned with another user seconding OP’s opinion.

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
If I were to place a bet I'd say Andy.

Daniil is probably the hottest player on tour right now (after he won Paris and ATP Finals back-to-back) but we needn't forget it's still a very very long way for him to match Andy's career accomplishments. And he'll turn 25 when AO comes around in February. I also expect younger players like Sinner and FAA to become more and more competitive in slams next year or in two years and players like Tsitsipas and Zverev to further improve and challenge him not to mention Dominic (who is to stay at his current level for the next at least 4-5 years) and still Djokovic and Nadal who aren't going anywhere just yet.
Another factor might be injuries. Daniil has been incredibly healthy so far. But he is a very tall guy who likes to engage in the longer rallies - his style of play may eventually lead to some injuries (I hope he avoids them of course but who knows what happens).

So I expect Medvedev to win 2-3-4 slams (around Murray's tally) but not match his overall resume.

·
|
15,331 Posts
Lay of the crack mate
Who do you think is going to win all those slams after the big3 retire?
Thiem will be past his prime by then (because he's older than the other up-and-comers and he's a grinder without the skills of Nadal-Federer), and Medvedev will dominate the hardcourt slams.
We are just finishing an era whereby 3 guys get about 20 slams each.
Medvedev's generation doesn't exactly look stacked with talent, so I'm pretty sure Medvedev is going to dominate and win between 10 and 15 slams at least.
His tennis IQ is a lot higher than the others, and he's extremely physical too, and better racquet skills than most.

·
|
15,331 Posts
Denis and Tsitsipas are mental midgets, and Zverev is questionable upstairs too.
This is Medvedev's world, and he probably won't have to wait for the big3 to retire, because Djokovic is fading anyway, and Federer obviously having some problems.
Nadal won't win everything (he'll win 1 or 2 slams each year), and Thiem/Medvedev will share the remaining slams.

·
The special one
14,696 Posts
Who do you think is going to win all those slams after the big3 retire?
Thiem will be past his prime by then (because he's older than the other up-and-comers and he's a grinder without the skills of Nadal-Federer), and Medvedev will dominate the hardcourt slams.
We are just finishing an era whereby 3 guys get about 20 slams each.
Medvedev's generation doesn't exactly look stacked with talent, so I'm pretty sure Medvedev is going to dominate and win between 10 and 15 slams at least.
His tennis IQ is a lot higher than the others, and he's extremely physical too, and better racquet skills than most.
Medvedev is 25. Lets say he has 10 years that's 20 HC slams, you seriously think he's winning between 10 and 15 of them? Get real, he's probably not winning more than 3 of them since Novak and Nadal will still be around for 2 or 3 more years at least. Thiem not that much older than him and there's the likes of Zverev and Tsitsi and more younger guys will come through. I'll be optimistic and say he wins 3 HC slams ( and that's far from a certainty). Forget clay and grass he's not winning a slam on either.

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
It's impossible to predict, but even if Medvedev finishes with one or two more Slams, you would still say Murray, right? He played in the BIG 3 era...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts