Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who will first break Ivo´s fastest serve record?

• Raonic

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Bubka

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Olivetti

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • somebody else

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think who will do it? I think there are 3 guys who can do it- maybe all 3 of them will do it. Raonic is first candidate- he is playing most ATP tour matches so he will have most opportunities-he hit 155mph in San Jose and 156mph fault.

Bubka in Montreal qualification or USO qualification also hit 156-157mph not sure in 2011.

Olivetti is pretty new candidate, he hit 258km/h at challenger level so we will see if he will be the one.

MAybe someone else?

·
Registered
217 Posts
For me Ivo's record it's FAKE! 1)The times when he served hard gone some years ago... 2) Few weeks before (record breaking) he lost to Raonic speed serve contest (something about 10mph!) 3) That serve was sliced! How sliced serve might be over 150mph!?

By the way, I think that Roddick's 152mph from US Open 2004 could be shown as over 160mph serve on that weird speedgun like is in San Jose. :eek:

Raonic winning the poll for me.

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
For me Ivo's record it's FAKE! 1)The times when he served hard gone some years ago... 2) Few weeks before (record breaking) he lost to Raonic speed serve contest (something about 10mph!) 3) That serve was sliced! How sliced serve might be over 150mph!?

By the way, I think that Roddick's 152mph from US Open 2004 could be shown as over 160mph serve on that weird speedgun like is in San Jose. :eek:

Raonic winning the poll for me.
fail

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
Roddick fans are mad because Ivo took from Duck only thing by which he could be remembered . Except loosing 3 Wimby finals of course

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
:lol: The Karlovic record is obviously fake, as was Roddick's 155mph.

The real ones are that 153mph that Roddick hit at Queens and in another place he had a 152mph IIRC. Also Dent had plenty around the 150mph mark, that were real (Wimbledon, USO etc).

There are quite a few guys from challengers that have had decent attempts. I stll hope Bubkha gets healthy and improves a bit so he can have a full year on the tour and give himself a great shot at it.
Olivetti is obviously the biggest candidate, hopefully he improves as well so we can see him regularly on the tour.

So yeah, Bubkha and Olivetti for now.

BTW, is Fabrice Martin another big server?...I know I'm forgetting a guy with a huge serve from the lower ranks. A bit frustrating...

And Raonic of course.

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
That Karlovic's record probably wasn't real but Ivo had/has it inside of him . Remember Nottingham finals against Clement when he hit 5-6 times over 150 . I haven't seen from anybody in one match series of fast serves like that

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Groth also has a fast one down the T but Bubkha is an improved version of him so I doubt he's gonna be the one.

2004 was Roddick's year. He was hitting his serve as hard as he could, since then he started working his service games more instead of just going for pace. I think along with Dent they're undoubtedly the fastest servers in Open Era. Johansson could've been something too if he had more than 2 mins playing the sport.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That Karlovic's record probably wasn't real but Ivo had/has it inside of him . Remember Nottingham finals against Clement when he hit 5-6 times over 150 . I haven't seen from anybody in one match series of fast serves like that
Yeah, Ivo had this, could/maybe can? serve around 150mph but I wonder about one thing... I heard his fastest serve at slam is only 142mph, it's true? :confused:

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Yeah, Ivo had this, could/maybe can? serve around 150mph but I wonder about one thing... I heard his fastest serve at slam is only 142mph, it's true? :confused:
It's absolutely true, he hit 5 or 6 times this speed. I agree too that Roddick 152 at USO 04 is fastest serve.

Daniel Guccione hit 229 kph on a tough AO speedgun and at 15, i think he has a huge chance to break the record.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After reading all post here, i agree with most guys. Don´t know about IVo´s fastest serve, but the truth is that most reliable and trusty sources for fastest serves are generally slams - and if you look at slams, Ivo is in last 2-3 years not the fastest serving guys at slams.

Raonic, Roddick, Isner, Bubka, Ljubicic those guys have fastest serves on slams. Raonic is consistently hitting hardest bombs on 1st serve, Bubka has big 1st serve too. and in qualification probably equalled or surpassed Ivo´s record. Isner, Ljubicic can sometimes hit really hard, but not consistently like Milos all the time.

Than we have new guy Olivetti who must proove himself outdoors on trusty speedguns, but we can agree that his serve is already one of hardest on the tour no matter which speed gun-radar is used.

Roddick and Karlovic both were best servers on the tour, first it was A-Rod which serve and agressive game-big FH made him No.1 and top 5, top 10 for long time, but his serve is not anymore best in the game- not fastest too. IVo was serving at his peak probably in 2007-08, hitting bombs on 1st serve, but his 1st serve is not so lethal anymore, you can see also he lost some pace on his 1st delivery and is winning much less on 1st serve- average 1st serve bombs are 200-215km/h or 125-135mph.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Roddick and Karlovic both were best servers on the tour, first it was A-Rod which serve and agressive game-big FH made him No.1 and top 5, top 10 for long time, but his serve is not anymore best in the game- not fastest too. IVo was serving at his peak probably in 2007-08, hitting bombs on 1st serve, but his 1st serve is not so lethal anymore, you can see also he lost some pace on his 1st delivery and is winning much less on 1st serve- average 1st serve bombs are 200-215km/h or 125-135mph.
On average serve speed Karlovic was always between 128-133 mph, now 123-124 mph since last year, this shows his loss of speed you have noticed too.
I think he was serving at his best at Wimbledon 09, USO 05 was scary too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts