883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadal or Murray?

Djokovic or Gulbis?

Potential final Djokovic vs. Nadal?

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
You asking if they will root for a Brit? the french dont like brits, plus Rafa has been present in 8 out of 9 last finals, he would be pretty much favorite against anyone but a french player. (maybe with federer it would be 50-50)

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
The French generally don't like Nadal. I assumed that was common knowledge. Couple that with Murray being the underdog and I reckon the Brit gets the crowd's backing.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
The French crowd have hated Rafa since 2005, if it comes to a Nadal vs Djokovic final, they will be cheering for the Serb, and they don't even like Djoko that much.

The only player the French like Is Federer, and they only ever cheer for the underdog against the top guys, everyone else is effluence to them, they even boo their own players a la Tsonga last year.

I remember one year, i think it was 2011 when Nadal beat Isner in 5 sets, they flashed the score on SL and that crowd booed in unison. Yes, that's right a different crowd not even watching Nadal's game booed him.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
The French generally don't like Nadal. I assumed that was common knowledge. Couple that with Murray being the underdog and I reckon the Brit gets the crowd's backing.
It's a misconception, I dont know if the french media likes nadal or not, probably no. BUt the french people itself likes Rafa, at least the bulk of the population.

Media =/= People.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
The French crowd have hated Rafa since 2005, if it comes to a Nadal vs Djokovic final, they will be cheering for the Serb, and they don't even like Djoko that much.

The only player the French like Is Federer, and they only ever cheer for the underdog against the top guys, everyone else is effluence to them, they even boo their own players a la Tsonga last year.

I remember one year, i think it was 2011 when Nadal beat Isner in 5 sets, they flashed the score on SL and that crowd booed in unison. Yes, that's right a different crowd not even watching Nadal's game booed him.

I think after so many years they ended up liking nadal, too many success broke their held convictions.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
You asking if they will root for a Brit? the french dont like brits, plus Rafa has been present in 8 out of 9 last finals, he would be pretty much favorite against anyone but a french player. (maybe with federer it would be 50-50)
:superlol: :haha: You think? More like 5/95. French crowd is known for being the most disgusting of the world, specially the RG one. And they treat Fed as a french. Even against Tsonga, people were chearing a bit mor for Fed than Tsonga!

Nadal playing in Switzerland, he would feel a lesser hostile environment, because at least in Switzerland people know how to behave like humans and not like wild animals.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Thing is they hate Nole, so it might be kind of 50/50 in the expected Noledal final.

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
Has anyone noticed how certain crowds have a very distinctive way of cheering? At RG, when a French player wins a big point, the cheer sounds more like the crowd is taunting the opponent. At Wimbledon, the cheer when a Brit wins a big point is pure joy. There's no malice in it.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Thing is they hate Nole, so it might be kind of 50/50 in the expected Noledal final.
The french have inferiority complex, they respect the germanic countries (Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland and the nordic countries) , hate on britain (because of obvious historic rivalry) but still look at them as equals, and look down on mediterranean nations, specially spain. Maybe they believe that hating on those countries set them apart from them and closer to the richer/more organized and developed germanic nations, no?. The funny thing is that their culture, language and lifestyle are much closer to their wild and lively southern neighbours than they are close to their northern ones.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
The french have inferiority complex, they respect the germanic countries (Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland and the nordic countries) , hate on britain (because of obvious historic rivalry) but still look at them as equals, and look down on mediterranean nations, specially spain. Maybe they believe that hating them will place them closer to the northern countries. What a joke they are almost as Disorganized and definitely share much more culturally with their southern neighbours.
Touché!

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It's a misconception, I dont know if the french media likes nadal or not, probably no. BUt the french people itself likes Rafa, at least the bulk of the population.

Media =/= People.
French people like:

1 Federer

2 Nadal
3 French players
4 the rest (no Spanish, German or British usually)

but they will always cheer for the French players against Nadal.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
French people like:

1 Federer

2 Nadal
3 French players
4 the rest (no Spanish, German or British usually)

but they will always cheer for the French players against Nadal.

Well, that shows rafa isnt as Hated as people think, no? Its more the french media who hates successful spanish sportmen.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Well, that shows rafa isnt as Hated as people think, no? Its more the french media who hates successful spanish sportmen.
People hated him in France because of the rivalry with Federer and because he blocked his path to many RG. But to answer your question, yes he is as hated as people think, he just is the second loved/popular one too.

Basically in France there is no such thing as "Tsonga fan" or "Gasquet fan", just "Federer and French players fan" or "Nadal and French players fan".

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
I remember them cheering Djokovic over Nadal and cheering Sodaking like crazy against Rafa.

Murray often has a difficult relationship with the French crowd as he has a unusually good record against French Players and is everything the French want but don't have, a Homeboy Grandslam Champion with brains and heart.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts