Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who do you think will come back stronger after this stop in the competition?

• Federer

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Djokovic

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Nadal

• Thiem

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • NextGen

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The question is simple: Who do you think will come back stronger after this stop in the competition?

We can target several players: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Thiem and the NextGeneration.

I can take the problem in all directions, but I can't see who will benefit from it IF the season starts again in January 2021. If it is not the case, there, we can cite 2 big losers: Nadal and Medvedev who have to defend a lot of points from August (even more for the Spaniard if Madrid or Rome is put just before FO).

But if it were to start again only for the ATP Cup, what would happen? The only thing that comes to mind is that there will be more injuries. So much time without playing at a high level, then one restart, the body won't appreciate it. Also, there will be a significant break-in period for everyone. What do you think about that?

·
God loves a trier
4,770 Posts
Great question, hard to answer.

My guess is that hungry youngsters like Tsitsipas and Sinner will come really fast out of the blocks when tennis resumes. They're the type of guys that I can imagine will use the break productively and learn new skills and tactics.

·
justice for all
18,859 Posts
I think the longer the break lasts the lesser the chances of the BIG3 to come back strong.
Roger is already at the verge of retiring and while he might come back and play his last Wimbledon next year I won't expect him to win it at nearly 40 years of age.
Rafa and Novak are not getting younger either, at their age every year is priceless and they will be 35 and 34 respectively next year.
So I would think the younger players those in their early or mid twenties might benefit more from this break.

·
Premium Member
12,345 Posts
I think the longer the break lasts the lesser the chances of the BIG3 to come back strong.
Roger is already at the verge of retiring and while he might come back and play his last Wimbledon next year I won't expect him to win it at nearly 40 years of age.
Rafa and Novak are not getting younger either, at their age every year is priceless and they will be 35 and 34 respectively next year.
So I would think the younger players those in their early or mid twenties might benefit more from this break.

Hey Federer had a renaissance for about 9 months in 2017.... Basically AO - Laver Cup he was in tip top form pre going to a concert and throwing out his back.

As Nadal says , "Who can say???"

·
justice for all
18,859 Posts
Hey Federer had a renaissance for about 9 months in 2017.... Basically AO - Laver Cup he was in tip top form pre going to a concert and throwing out his back.

As Nadal says , "Who can say???"
Yeah, but that was 3-4 years ago. At Roger's age every year is eternity.

·
Premium Member
12,345 Posts
Yeah, but that was 3-4 years ago. At Roger's age every year is eternity.
I'm referring to Nadal and Djokovic. 34/35 didn't stop Federer from winning two slams and getting back to Number 1. Who knows if Nadal and Djokovic will be the same, but you know for sure the trainers, stretches, yoga , medicine , etc. will do all it can to keep them playing and at the top of their games.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, difficult to say. I think, Djokovic has the best chance to come back stronger. For him, after an incredible serie of win, it is a good thing this pause. Nadal, I have some doubt on his physic. In fact, after a long break, we don’t know how body react. Federer was not convinced for his return at AO. Thiem needs rythm. May be a good thing to NextGen.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
justice for all
18,859 Posts
I'm referring to Nadal and Djokovic. 34/35 didn't stop Federer from winning two slams and getting back to Number 1. Who knows if Nadal and Djokovic will be the same, but you know for sure the trainers, stretches, yoga , medicine , etc. will do all it can to keep them playing and at the top of their games.
Yeah, the eggs, the gurus, the uncles ;)

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Hello,

The question is simple: Who do you think will come back stronger after this stop in the competition?

We can target several players: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Thiem and the NextGeneration.

I can take the problem in all directions, but I can't see who will benefit from it IF the season starts again in January 2021. If it is not the case, there, we can cite 2 big losers: Nadal and Medvedev who have to defend a lot of points from August (even more for the Spaniard if Madrid or Rome is put just before FO).

But if it were to start again only for the ATP Cup, what would happen? The only thing that comes to mind is that there will be more injuries. So much time without playing at a high level, then one restart, the body won't appreciate it. Also, there will be a significant break-in period for everyone. What do you think about that?
Nadal without doubt. This is a god send for him as he is well used to coming back after long breaks and every time he has he wins multiple Majors. It is a disaster for Djokovic, and will probably result in Federer's retirement.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Nadal not playing adds years to his career as it is exactly what he needed as he never recovered from USO final

·
Registered
773 Posts
If he wants it, then Djokovic will be top of the pile. When Djokovic is hungry, there is nothing anybody can do, only Fedal. But I think another question will be, from a life's perspective...will some players get used to changing nappies and enjoy family time more than they thought they would. Will Tsistipas like travelling adventures too much? Will puppy dog Zverevs relationship with his model gf be one that is healthy... You know, so much time being in one roof together...a lot of players will grow apart from their companions, whilst others may realise that simple family life can be pretty sweet. Tennis starts in the mind. The wives of the big 3 are all respectful women. They are not dumb Instagram models. It says a lot about the guys at the top and what is needed to succeed is stability off court and we are now in turbulent times

·
Your visions will happen
52,892 Posts
Corona saved Federer's ass that much is clear

Djoker and Rafa lose a very important year where surely they would have passed his #1 record and slams record. Now they may still do it or they may not, we don't know

Nadal not playing adds years to his career as it is exactly what he needed as he never recovered from USO final
Disagree, I thought Nadal and Djokovic were both at the top of their games before the stoppage. I was prepared for 6 intense tennis months. What a buzzkill

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The overall level of tennis is going to be terrible after such a long break. Probably hurt the GOATs the least, but the average players will all look like club level hacks.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
nadal and djoker hurt by this the most. They likely with their type of game need more time to find groove. Fed came off a surgery. This break will likely get him to full health and with his talent and ljubo tactics maybe one last tweak in game.

But honestly the young guns benefit the most here. They improve quicker and only get stonger while the big 3 keep going downhill.

I won't be the least bit surprised to see 2021 be swept by non big 3 in slams and then the forums will predict what majors would or should have been won by nadal and djoker in 2020.. etc..

Thiem's win over nadal on slow ass aussie 2020 bodes well for him to take him out in 2021 mostly due to nadal aging more and thiem hitting his physical peak and having some mental demons exorcised since his win over nadal. Also, thiem will pose huge issues for djoker too who narrorly beat an exhausted thiem on his best court.

·
Registered
379 Posts
None of the above. My answer is Neo Corona. It may ease down for a while after a while, but it will come back. We will have to go through the cycle of the virus coming and going over and over befoe we can declare that the virus has been completed contained.

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
W/ momentum that was stymied due to this stoppage, Novak must still secure his HC Iegacy w/ just one more major at USO or AO & then if he doesn't wear himseIf out at FO, hopefuIIy another WB, he's in a Ieague very few have reached but needs to stay motivated which means stay in shape & if so, aII bodes weII for whatever happens in remaining 2020 or reset in 2021.

·
WOAT Predictor
7,007 Posts
If tennis doesn't make a return until 2021 AO, which seems most likely, I think Nole will benefit from this.
I firmly believe he will defend his AO title in Melbourne, and gain a record extending 9th AO.
Not having a chance to defend Wimbledon is a major setback, but I think our people's champion can make the most of this.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
You may not wanna hear this, but this time is the perfect opportunity for dopers to juice up their bodies, since the doping controlls are not happening anymore. Several anti doping agencies have warned about that fact.

So we will maybe see some new, unexpected faces pop up at the top.

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have all proven being able to come back strong after a long break. The young guns need to prove that first. It will not be easy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think this break it is a good thing to Djokovic. After his incredible run in 2020, it is the good moment for him to regenerate to come back stronger.

Nadal usually makes great come back. I’m a little be afraid on the reaction of his body after a long period without playing match at high intensity.

Federer, I don’t know. He was fresh in AO 2020, but his level was so poor. Not sure that helps him (just for his ranking).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well it is safe to say that Nadal will state that he could hardly train and is doubtful to even hold a raquet for more then 20 secons so obvi not him. Djokovic will grin and day we will see and Roger most likely he has been training good but at his age no one knows.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts