Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who will it be. Every australian open for the last few years has always delievered something out of the ordinary. This year it was Fernando Gonzalez displaying form that threatened to derail the Fed Express but he stumbled at the last hurdle while having set points in the first set. In 2006 it was the Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis who beat 3 top 10 players to make the final and then taking a set of Roger before succombing in 4. 2005 saw Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin contest a Grand Slam final which was one of the last Federer free finals. 2003 saw that epic quarter final between Andy Roddick and Younes El Aynaoui that Roddick eventually won 21-19 in the fifth. Rainer Schuettler was the suprise of 2003 when he made the final losing to Agassi. In 2002 Thomas Johannsson became possibly the most unheralded Grand Slam Champion of them all when he beat Marat Safin in 4 sets and also Jiri Novak made the semis when nobody had really heard of him. And finally 2001 when Arnaud Clement beat his best friend Grosjean to make it to the final where he lost to Agassi.

So history tells us that the 2008 Australian Open will again produce something out of the ordinary but what will it be and who will it be. I can see Ivo Karlovic creating a few upsets if he carries on last years form into the open. Ivo is starting to engage in more rallies from the baseline and his serve is the best in tennis bar none. If the draw goes his way I can definately see him reaching Quarter final plus. Gael Monfils And Jo-Wilfried Tsonga are two others with the potential to go on huge run of wins like Gonzalez did but Monfils is far to inconsistent and Tsonga maybe doesn't have enough experience yet at Grand Slam level.

So post away, who will be the suprise packet of the 2008 Australian Open?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
i'm rooting for gulbis. :) he's reckless enough to upset lots of players. if the draw goes his way, i think he can possibly go deep into the tournament.

other than that i expect wawrinka to finally show some consictency and reach at least the 4th round.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Istomin

·
Registered
772 Posts
Gasquet for sure.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I'm rooting for Paul Henri Mathieu and Robin Soderling.

Both have big games and it is definately time for them to make a hole in the mens games, if ever it is going to happen.

Mathieu has all the capabilities to do well in Australia, he is very fit, moves well, has the ability to play very well on a medium paced hard court due to his strokes. I don't see anything stopping him given a good draw in the first couple of rounds, he could trouble anybody.

Soderling is a player I have had my eye on for a few years now, his big flat groundstrokes allow him to dominate from the baseline, pretty big serve and good composure, I hope he can do well in 2008, it's his time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts