Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nole's had three matches in last three years and has been unable to beat Rafa at RG. Ferrer doesn't have the faith for it, and Clayray just isn't good enough. And we can forget about Olderer. So who could beat Rafa at RG?

Wawrinka and Nishikori showed some awsome clay tennis in earlier clay events and they might've had the game to beat Rafa. But it'd be hard for them as their high seeding means they'd face Rafa only in the late stages when Rafa's usually found his form. So it's almost more likely that some lower ranked guy gets hot and takes Rafa out on 1st week. But who could it be?

I can think of one player who wouldn't be seeded at next year's RG and would have the game to take Rafa out. It's DelPo. Del GOATro has the power in his shots to blow Rafa off the court even on slow surfaces and as a tall guy, Rafa's topspin doesn't trouble him as much as most others. Of course, peak GOATro wouldn't have trouble even if he faced Rafa in the final.

I hope DelPo has a good comeback but has his ranking just below getting seeded at RG so that he can face Rafa as early as possible in his title run at RG next year. If he had to play Rafa in the SF, there's the risk he'd be too exhausted in the final.

Thoughts? Discuss!

·
Registered
972 Posts
It will be Djokovic for sure.

Either next year or the year after. I predict next year.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
A rising youngster in 2017 or 2018 RG

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I heard Estrella Burgos is a promising youngster.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Djokovic is by far the 2nd best clay-court player in the world
However, Rafa losing early due to poor form is almost as likely as losing to Nole in a final. Extremely unlikely

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Of course, peak GOATro wouldn't have trouble even if he faced Rafa in the final.
Too good this Claypotro who's taken precisely one set off Nadal on clay during his career and never even won a 500 clay event. First class tarding there. :yeah:

But yeah, a big guy like Delpo could definitely trouble an undercooked Nadal if he meets him early at RG à la Nadal's tough matches against Isner and Brands there in recent years. Then again, nobody's gonna want to draw a low ranked Delpo early anywhere during his comeback.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts